• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First annual coyote & Wolf derby Salmon, Idaho on December 28 & 29

Oldcoast

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2009
Monterey Ca
Just got this from my uncle

The first annual coyote & Wolf derby will be held in Salmon, Idaho on December 28 & 29. (See the attached flyer for more information.)
The Sacajawea motel in Salmon will be offering special rates for those participating in the derby. This is a great opportunity to team up with your son or daughter
and share a great experience together.

Competitive hunting of wolves, coyotes in Idaho sparks outcry | Reuters

Competitive hunting of wolves, coyotes in Idaho sparks outcry
BY LAURA ZUCKERMAN
SALMON, Idaho Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10pm EST
1 COMMENTS
Dec 11 (Reuters) - The first statewide competition in decades to hunt wolves and coyotes in Idaho has sparked outrage among wildlife conservationists, who condemned it as "an organized killing contest."
The so-called coyote and wolf derby is slated for the weekend of Dec. 28-29 in the mountain town of Salmon, Idaho, where ranchers and hunting guides contend wolves and coyotes threaten livestock and game animals prized by sportsmen.
The tournament offers cash and trophies to two-person teams for such hunting objectives as killing the largest wolf and the most female coyotes. Children as young as 10 will be welcomed to compete in a youth division.
Idaho opened wolves to licensed hunting more than two years ago after assuming regulation of its wolf population from the federal government.
But Idaho Department of Fish and Game wolf manager Jason Husseman said the upcoming event is believed to be the first competitive wolf shoot to be held in the continental United States since 1974, when wolves across the country came under federal Endangered Species Act protections.
The wolf, an apex predator that once ranged throughout North America, had by then been hunted, trapped and poisoned to the brink of extinction in the lower 48 states.
Wolves in the Northern Rockies, including Idaho, and in the western Great Lakes were removed from the federal threatened and endangered species list in recent years as their populations climbed and federal wildlife managers declared them recovered. The Obama administration earlier this year proposed removing most wolves nationwide from the list.
The upcoming derby is being sponsored by Idaho for Wildlife, a nonprofit whose aim is "to fight against all legal and legislative attempts by the animal rights and anti-gun organizations" to impose restrictions on hunting or guns, according to the group's website.
When contacted by telephone on Wednesday about the event, organizer and Idaho big-game outfitter Shane McAfee said media inquiries were not welcome.
Similar contests tied just to coyotes - allowed to be shot on sight as nuisances in much of the U.S. West - have prompted protests in recent years in states such as New Mexico, where many ranchers and hunters endorse the competitive hunts.
Lynne Stone, director of the Boulder-White Clouds Council, an Idaho conservation group, called the planned wolf-coyote derby "an organized killing contest."
"Stacking up dead animals and awarding children for killing them has no place in a civilized society," she said.
But Barbara Soper, whose 11-year-old daughter has registered to team with an adult hunter for the Idaho competition, said she and her husband are all for it.
"It's my daughter's first big adventure, and she thinks it's awesome," Soper said. (Reporting by Laura Zuckerman; Editing by Steve Gorman and Lisa Shumaker)

Steve Alder
Idaho For Wildlife
Web: Home
Email: [email protected]

This is the best line

"Stacking up dead animals and awarding children for killing them has no place in a civilized society,"

I am really disturbed by the philosophy of trying to kill all the wolves, coyotes, rattlesnakes or whatever one can. It is even worse in an organized situation wherein a state or social group takes upon itself the privilege to destroy the animals that occupy our planet with us. If these same people were holding contests to see who can bring in the most elk cows and calves, there would be an uproar. Well, there are significantly fewer top predators (except for us humans) than there are elk or deer, etc. Wolves have a significant beneficial role in the natural environment, as evidenced by the favorable changes that have occurred in Yellowstone since their re-introduction. In my opinion, real ethical hunters do not go out to kill the relatively rare and vulnerable populations of our top predators such as mountain lion and wolf.

I am really disturbed by the philosophy of trying to kill all the wolves, coyotes, rattlesnakes or whatever one can. It is even worse in an organized situation wherein a state or social group takes upon itself the privilege to destroy the animals that occupy our planet with us. If these same people were holding contests to see who can bring in the most elk cows and calves, there would be an uproar. Well, there are significantly fewer top predators (except for us humans) than there are elk or deer, etc. Wolves have a significant beneficial role in the natural environment, as evidenced by the favorable changes that have occurred in Yellowstone since their re-introduction. In my opinion, real ethical hunters do not go out to kill the relatively rare and vulnerable populations of our top predators such as mountain lion and wolf.

You should do some research. Wolves are extremely smart and adaptable. Wolf hunting has a extrememly low success rate, even among professional guides. I would be shocked if any more than a handfull of wolves are taken as part of this derby. The overwhelming majority of wolves taken in ID are "bycatch" or luck, by hunters chasing other animals. Both wolves and coyotes will adapt litter size to conditions. Events like this have very little long term effect on population. The alternative to hunters buying tags and harvesting these animals is the government, "controlling" the population through aircraft borne hunts and trapping all at taxpayer expense. Elk hunting in ID has taken a huge hit in the past couple years, largely attributed to wolf predation. There is a balance and hunters are included in that by the biologist that scientificaly manage the population for the greatest overall good.

Bottom line: Cougars, wolves, and especially coyotes are niether "rare", or "vunerable" in ID. Seperate emotion from fact. Nothing against those who don't hunt predators, or have their own niche passion, but you can't just manage a single species and expect any success.

Wish me luck, as I am hunting hard for wolves the rest of the year! Longshot, but I have a zero % chance from my couch.

Cheers

Vince

you really need to get a clue. Look at the elk population in yellow stone it is gone. Even here in sodak the fucking cougars have killed 85% of elk calves the last 2 years. Coyotes are about as rare as flys on shit are.

Well put Vince!

Many people are successfully drawn into the emotional argument by so called "animal conservation" groups with very radical progressive liberal agendas that usually align with anti gun groups as well. The reason their argument is so filled with emotion is because facts.and scientific data does not support their claims.

Recently my wife got a glossy envelope in the mail that was packed with pictures of wolves and propaganda from the Defenders of Wildlife wanting support to stop "the brutal slaughting of beautiful wolves" by hunters. It was the same old baseless claims they've been regurgitating for years about predator hunting but I was surprised that they have gone to large scale mass mailing to build their ranks and get donations.

Hopefully mountain towns like Salmon Idaho don't go the liberal path like so many in the rockies have.

Gentlemen: I know that I am addressing a group of people who are gun owners and many are avid hunters. I own many guns myself and very much appreciate the pleasure of shooting a fine pistol or rifle, and also resist those who would try to take away our guns. There are times when we benefit from hearing an opinion from someone who does not share the "community opinion", and I perceive that I am that outlier.
I am not an expert on animal husbandry or forest management. Still, I would wonder if some of the recent decrease in elk numbers noted by Kurt could be attributed to factors other than the wolves, such as hunting, drought, climate change or disease.
One other factor has bothered me more recently than in the past. There is increasing evidence of animals being self aware and having emotions. Dogs who can recognize nearly a thousand words. Whales who can recognize other whale's songs and respond to them. Elephant groups that demonstrate group social pathology during the next generation when the matriarch cow is killed.
I am trying to sort out my own position on killing of animals. I have little to no problem with the deer/elk hunter who is going to eat his kill and, perhaps, find use for the hide. I have a lot more problem with the trophy hunter who kills for the testosterone rush and the head on the wall to show what a mighty hunter he is. I am sure it must be a barrel of fun to sit on a hill and snipe prairie dogs for hours, but the main reason this "opportunity" exists is because there are so few black footed ferrets left. I am guessing that there are so many deer in the Northeast of our country because we humans have so much changed the order of things, opening up farm fields instead of having forest, but particularly because there are so few apex predators there.
With respect to my comment on wolves and mountain lions being relatively rare, I would ask how many of you have had the opportunity to see a wolf or mountain lion in person in the last year?
Each animal on earth gets one crack at life. It would be good for us to not take the lives of animals casually, as if they are merely mobile targets, and without consideration that they may have self-awareness. Now coyotes and rabbits, that is a different matter.

If you are not an expert as you say do some research before you post. You offend me with your anthropomorphizing of animals and that is counter to my belief system so do not foist your views on to mine. If you have a problem with wolf hunting do not go hunting for them. I have a problem with the anthropomorphizing of animals so I do not interact with people that do. Also you do not know if animals only get one crack at life, please be sensitive to upholding the belief system of Buddism.
Gentlemen: I know that I am addressing a group of people who are gun owners and many are avid hunters. I own many guns myself and very much appreciate the pleasure of shooting a fine pistol or rifle, and also resist those who would try to take away our guns. There are times when we benefit from hearing an opinion from someone who does not share the "community opinion", and I perceive that I am that outlier.
I am not an expert on animal husbandry or forest management. Still, I would wonder if some of the recent decrease in elk numbers noted by Kurt could be attributed to factors other than the wolves, such as hunting, drought, climate change or disease.
One other factor has bothered me more recently than in the past. There is increasing evidence of animals being self aware and having emotions. Dogs who can recognize nearly a thousand words. Whales who can recognize other whale's songs and respond to them. Elephant groups that demonstrate group social pathology during the next generation when the matriarch cow is killed.
I am trying to sort out my own position on killing of animals. I have little to no problem with the deer/elk hunter who is going to eat his kill and, perhaps, find use for the hide. I have a lot more problem with the trophy hunter who kills for the testosterone rush and the head on the wall to show what a mighty hunter he is. I am sure it must be a barrel of fun to sit on a hill and snipe prairie dogs for hours, but the main reason this "opportunity" exists is because there are so few black footed ferrets left. I am guessing that there are so many deer in the Northeast of our country because we humans have so much changed the order of things, opening up farm fields instead of having forest, but particularly because there are so few apex predators there.
With respect to my comment on wolves and mountain lions being relatively rare, I would ask how many of you have had the opportunity to see a wolf or mountain lion in person in the last year?
Each animal on earth gets one crack at life. It would be good for us to not take the lives of animals casually, as if they are merely mobile targets, and without consideration that they may have self-awareness. Now coyotes and rabbits, that is a different matter.

An an Idahoan, this is a welcome sight. I have harvested one wolf in two years of pursuing them in earnest, did not harvest an elk this year in a hard to draw unit because of the wolves in the area. If I could get time off, I would be participating in this event. Oh well, I will just wait for my local coyote derby next month.

Like much of life..."everything in moderation". Are predators a nuisance? Sure they can be but that's not to say they have NO place in the system. A hunt here and there while having an open season on an animal that has an extremely low success rate isn't going to make a significant decline in population. Poisoning I would have a problem with, but not hunting. This is all coming from someone who keeps a herd of cattle too.

They radio collared the elk calves and when they went out and found the collars they were at lion kills that was in custer state park in Sd you can look up the info on it. Animals need to be managed another thing you could look up is carry capacity. Went to school for a few years for wildlife management before I decided to change majors. When science is applied and not emotion there is an realistic co existence between predator and prey. The grand scheme of letting nature run its course is a by gone dream. You want to see cruel see a group of hamstrung elk the wolves just attack to attack. If they are not managed soon enough it will be like in cali where the yotes are eating peoples pets but with wolves it wont be pets it will be kids or has already been thousands in live stock. Also if you think there is any kind of shortage of prairie dogs you need to actually make it out into the country where they reside. Hunting or shooting them will never ever put a dent in the population now poison that is a different story but the great equalizer with them is the plague it kills them dirty little bastards dead. Oh and by the way in the last year I have seen a mountain lion but luckly the wolves have not made it this far east from the west but as of now we can shoot wolves on sight east of the Missouri so if any should wander west over from Minnesota I will have a 140 amax waiting for it.

Ed,

I respect your position. I do not take any life or without some feeling of remorse for the sacrifice of the animal. You'll find that most hunters have great respect for their quarry. Like it or not, we are a necessary part of the system as apex predators.

Consider this: The game preserve will support a healthy herd of 1000 elephants. There are 1200 elephants on it. You can let them over graze, destroy the habitat, starve to death and let the survivors scrape by until the habitat rebounds and wait several more years for the herd to grow and the cycle repeat. Or you can kill 200 of them as quickly and cleanly as possible and save the herd and their habitat ?

The person letting emotion reign, will let all of the animals suffer and die. The intelligent person will harden his heart, pick up a rifle and do what is needed.

Cheers

Vince

Sent from my mind via apathy.

If there is one thing that unites the knuckle dragger and the liberal hippy in Idaho, it's definitely the antiwolf movement...

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Wow. After reading, can't figure why someone against the hunting of animals would care to read the hunting and fishing thread... Then feel compelled to write that post. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but don't hijack someone's thread! Isn't that the definition of a troll? Just sayn

I'm headed out tomorrow to hunt wolves in ID. Any hot tips would be greatly appreciated! Hunting the panhandle from Fernan Pass to Kellogg area. We missed some by a few hours around McGee last year. Two picked clean elk carcasses that were still steaming.

Sent from my mind via apathy.

I live here in Wyoming and grew up close to yellow stone. There has been nothing beneficial since wolf reintroduction. Herds are decimated. Wolves are natural to New York etc. let's reintroduce them in Central Park . I think it would be beneficial.