• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Photos Of Dead Wolves Stir Emotions Out West

Re: Photos Of Dead Wolves Stir Emotions Out West

Most of this wolf situation is just another example of the bad decisions we make as the result of long periods of relative prosperity.

An interesting question we can ask ourselves: Why did our ancestors wipe out the wolves in the western part of America in the first place? If it was fear, why did they leave the bears and big cats alone? Both of those have proven to be a greater threat to people than wolves.

For the most part we have replaced wolves in the food chain. We can easily regulate how many deer or elk tags are issued. Trying to regulate how many wild and domestic animals a group of wolves kills is not so simple.

I sleep better at night knowing I can harvest game for food if I have to. That's one less person that needs the govt. to feed them if things take a turn for the worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teamor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">didn't they just pass a law or something in WY so you dont have to have a tag for wolf and there is no bag limit just like a coyote </div></div>

Yeah, except in the "Yellowstone Park area" Haven't heard where that line is going to be drawn for sure yet, the park for sure, but there is going to be a "demilitarized zone" surrounding the outside of the park somewhere and if they are outside of that they are free for the picking! </div></div>

That law did not pass yet, so dont plan your trip just yet. I hope it goes through soon, as I would like to take out some of the bastards as well. Until then my friends, SSS.

And to address the rest of the leaf licker mentality........

Typical BS from some of the people that dont have to deal with them.

If you want to save them, come and pick one and take it home with you, but dont come crying to me when it eats your pets and kills all your other wildlife. These are not the same wolves that were once here, quit lying to yourself. Wake up people!

1911 fan, Whatever… got it… attention to detail - bravo for you.

Before 2000'ish I never saw a wolf our ranch in Idaho; however, it was full of elk and deer. Now timberwolves are running rampant and you are lucky to see elk grazing in our meadows. You are right, the native Idaho species is much smaller than the Alaskan Timber Wolves.

Every time the federal government steps into a project they screw it up.

I remember when feds took over Alaska hunting, screwed that up. I heard the state took it back but I'm not sure.

I hate to see anything get killed but I don't live there - yet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">imagine a dozen of those following you out to your deer stand, shit! </div></div>

I had three of them follow me around on an Elk hunt near Challis Idaho a couple of years ago. I was up on the mountain well before first light trying to intercept the Elk coming off a rye field a couple of miles away. I could hear rustling behind me and was pissed because I thought the Elk had already made it past me. As the sun came up I could not believe it but there were three wolves sitting on their haunches with their front legs straight not 50 yards behind me (I was facing down the mountain). One of them had a radio collar. I wanted to shoot one something fierce but they warned us when we bought our tags that it was a massive fine. I had a 10mm on my side but never needed it. I tried to scare them away but they wouldn't budge. I then figured I'd leave and hunt the next ridge over but they followed me 100 - 200 yards back. It was like were trained that I was going to kill something so they could eat it. Honestly other than when I first saw them I did not feel they were a threat to me. I'd seen Wolves in Alaska before but they were usually 800 yards away running in the opposite direction. Never realized how big they really are. I need to get a tag and go do this next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">imagine a dozen of those following you out to your deer stand, shit! </div></div>

I had three of them follow me around on an Elk hunt near Challis Idaho a couple of years ago. I was up on the mountain well before first light trying to intercept the Elk coming off a rye field a couple of miles away. I could hear rustling behind me and was pissed because I thought the Elk had already made it past me. As the sun came up I could not believe it but there were three wolves sitting on their haunches with their front legs straight not 50 yards behind me (I was facing down the mountain). One of them had a radio collar. I wanted to shoot one something fierce but they warned us when we bought our tags that it was a massive fine. I had a 10mm on my side but never needed it. I tried to scare them away but they wouldn't budge. I then figured I'd leave and hunt the next ridge over but they followed me 100 - 200 yards back. It was like were trained that I was going to kill something so they could eat it. Honestly other than when I first saw them I did not feel they were a threat to me. I'd seen Wolves in Alaska before but they were usually 800 yards away running in the opposite direction. Never realized how big they really are. I need to get a tag and go do this next year. </div></div>

Those were the ones you saw,LOL. I have family in wolf country. I'm told one in front of or behind you on the trail isn't a big deal. It's when you've got two or three staring at you from different directions that causes a pucker moment, or so I'm told.

I don't really care if a wolf eats a person. This argument is specious at best. It's no different than anti-gunners saying "that banger would be alive TODAY if that other banger didn't have a gun to shoot him with..." please. People die every day. It's a fact. Cars, mis-prescribed medicines, booze, cigs and a host of other things kill more people, every day, than the wolves with kill in ten years.

Regardless of where you live, if you can't look at a subject with objectivity then your opinion is as flawed and invalid as the people who live on the other side of the world. I mean seriously, "if you're not local then you don't have an opinion". Really? So we should ignore things that happen in the world because it's not happened here? You have no voice on how policy should affect banks and Wall St. because you don't own the bank or live/work on Wall St? That's your view. How do you like that?

The wolf is an animal, it has no moral obligation to behave in any way other than how evolution and nature has determined it must behave in order to survive. That's the ultimate moral authority if ever there was one. Direct your anger at the idiots who make policy and force their hand to policies that make sense and are the benefit of rational and civil thought.

Leave the torches and pitchforks for the villagers scared of Frankenstein's Monster...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless of where you live, if you can't look at a subject with objectivity then your opinion is as flawed and invalid as the people who live on the other side of the world. I mean seriously, "if you're not local then you don't have an opinion". Really? So we should ignore things that happen in the world because it's not happened here? You have no voice on how policy should affect banks and Wall St. because you don't own the bank or live/work on Wall St? That's your view. How do you like that?</div></div>

This is a flawed example with no relevance. Banks and Wall St. and their decisions and actions have affected me and continue to. If every last wolf on the face of the earth disappeared and no one told you, I doubt you'd notice... if you're really honest with yourself. How do I know? Because they were largely eradicated from the continent for most of a century (if you wonder why, perhaps you should look into our local history a bit to see why people are so excited to have them back) and almost no one cared. No one except a very small minority who don't live here that decided an egregious wrong had been perpetrated and sought to right that wrong and use emotional pleas and distorted facts and chip away until they got their way.

Recognize the formula? Small interest group with no presence in your area, seek to save you. Can you say gun control? Can you say intrusive government? This formula has been used over and over in the last 40 years to foist all types of ridiculous legislation on us.

You have to be careful which side of this argument you fall on in principle. The future you give away may have the letters "U.N." on it. This is not about whether or not we kill wolves. It's about who has the authority to make that decision and I say it's a local issue and the Federal Government should spend its efforts on more global issues. They apparently agree with that thinking as they have handed responsibility over to local authorities. This subject should be a non-issue. The only reason this thread exists right now, is because some shit-disturbing journalist wrote an emotional hit piece. Now go read the similar story about the poor bald eagle that is dying of "lead poisoning" and see where that's headed.

John

So some kind of visceral rating is the determining factor on whether someone has a say then?

If you can't see the break in that line of thinking then we're an at impasse.

One of my best friends has a ranch west of Kalispel, little town called Marion in the Flathead valley. Last year a rancher neighbor of his lost over 100 sheep to wolves in ONE day! It's basically open season on them in the Flathead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longspring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's no lie . I shot this "Makenzie " wolf in Midvale Idaho . This whole thing is a bad science circus....These monsters are not the Canis lupus irremotus , they are Canis lupus occidentalis . It's like replacing a Black bear with Kodiak . Nature doesn't work like that IMO.
DSCF6845.jpg
</div></div>Well done Sir. You save a bunch of our elk, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So some kind of visceral rating is the determining factor on whether someone has a say then?
</div></div>

Have you ever thought about why we pick and choose which battle flag we are willing to champion? Why is there no outcry over the needless death of millions of mosquitoes each spring? Should we come out with a T-shirt with 3 mosquitoes howling at a porch light? Who sheds a tear at the sight of hundreds of dead yellow jackets in a tea trap? Are they not valued members of nature's creation? Why then the wolf? How is this not visceral?

John

Lots of things stir negative emotions. But until those people live, work, and play in the environments in which the photos took place they will never understand why what was done was done in the way they were done. What one person finds cruel and alarming, another doesn't.

The packs in Montana and Idaho are HUGE and splitting. There ranges they are traveling are also vast. Not adhering to the boarders that the maps say they should stay in(lol). Those who are so stirred about wolf hunting should talk with the locals who are sharing the regions and see how they feel. Esp. some of the Canadians on the boarders.

I hope my little post doesn't ignite to much hate mail my direction. I kinda sit on both sides of the fence on the "wolf issues" and don't feel like I have all the answers or solutions to the problem. Just thought this thread was interesting.

Randal