• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR Question

The gold standard in bankruptcies?
Colt has been Run/Managed by Criminals for the last 40 years. There is no denying the company has been used as an ATM by wealth funds and trust fund kids. New owners would take out massive debt, then pull the money out of company instead of investing it in Plant or workers. Then they file bankrupcy. It was litteral theft and fraud. And it happened a few times. Due to their Mil contracts dumb shit creditors kept bailing them out....Now there is no more .mil contracts so they got liquidated instead.

The actual quality of the guns is unrelated. Colt AR's with the exception of the expanse and some really recent shit has always been the gold standard.

If anything CZ will fix those issues and it should result in even better offerings and options. Best thing that could ever happen.

Accuracy will be a wash between all of them. You and the Ammo will determine the accuracy more than the variance between those guns. All have barrels made on the same machines to same tollerances. They are all chrome lined so throat erostion from heat will be minimized.

I have done carbine courses 750+ rounds a day, multiple days in a row with a LW barrel with no issues. If you are planning to do mag dumps or use it on a full auto host, then yea there will be issues.

A lighter barrel will heat up faster but will cool faster. Heavier barrel is more stable for accurate long range shooting like highpower but anything on the move give me the lighter gun every day.

Most newer shooters gravitate towards the cool looking and heavy shit, then overtime as they shoot more and learn they start to refine their gear to lighten it up and streamline it. Think of it as skipping a few years and thousands of dollars to get to where you will end up anyway.
colt is not the gold standard of AR‘s and the only people spending 2500-3500 on one are individuals that are new to the platform or those that have not followed the industry. Colt was having financial problems, they laid off their workers and increased sub contracted / outsourced parts. When they did this they killed morale and their quality control suffered.

i am looking forward to CZ’s improvements. Look at what CZ did with Dan Wesson. Once cz gets colt on the right path I will buy one. If you must have a colt today, look for production from 2010 and earlier.

Reactions: msgriff
colt is not the gold standard of AR‘s and the only people spending 2500-3500 on one are individuals that are new to the platform or those that have not followed the industry. Colt was having financial problems, they laid off their workers and increased sub contracted / outsourced parts. When they did this they killed morale and their quality control suffered.

i am looking forward to CZ’s improvements. Look at what CZ did with Dan Wesson. Once cz gets colt on the right path I will buy one. If you must have a colt today, look for production from 2010 and earlier.
People are paying $2k for Colts because A its covid, and B they arent made anymore and C. they are always the gold standard.

They had some cheapened guns like the expanse and competition models but their bread and butter like the 6XXX line has always held a high standard.

I am still building guns from new Colt uppers and trickle in, and they are every bit as well made as my 20-50 year old colts. The BCG's are the same quality, the barrels and uppers as well.

So tell us who the gold standard is if not colt?

I'm glad to hear the barrel profile isn't extremely relevant for civilian use

Barrel profile most certainly is relevant, not only for handling characteristics but for the potential level of precision that the barrel will be able to produce.

mean_radius_compilation_22-1822284.jpg

Reactions: rafiki76
Not on Ar.com, but $1,050 (shipped) for the 6721, and $1,000 for the LE6920

In your first post, you said you were debating between the 6720 and 6920. Now you're talking about the price of a 6721. Which model are you actually looking at?

I believe the 16” hbar weighs almost 1lb more then a government profile.

AR-15 Stripped Barrel Weights

"Stripped" means just the barrel and the barrel extension; nothing else.

Colt 16" "pencil" barrel (6520/6720): 1 pound, 6 ounces.

colt_6520_light_weight_profile_barrel_02-1338224.jpg

Hodge Defense 14.5" barrel: 1 pound, 8.5 ounces.

hodge_barrel_02_resized_b-1-1338226.jpg

Colt 14.5" M4 barrel: 1 pound, 9 ounces.

coming_soon_resized-1338455.jpg

Colt 11.5" "FBI" barrel: 1 pound, 9.3 ounces.

colt_fbi_commando_11_5_barrel_02-1338225.jpg

Centurion Arms 16” “light-weight” barrel: 1 pound, 10 ounces.

centurion16_inch_light_barrel_05-1338221.jpg

Larue 16" "ultralight-profile" PredatAR barrel: 1 pound, 10.5 ounces.

predatar_barrel_01b_resized-1338230.jpg

Colt 16" government profile barrel (6920): 1 pound, 12 ounces.

Colt_16_inch_M4_profile_barrel_6920_05-1338223.jpg

Noveske 16" N4 "light" barrel: 1 pound, 12 ounces.

noveske_n4_16_inch_barrel_2-1338229.jpg

Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel: 1 pound, 14 ounces.

stripped_socom_barrel_02_resized-1338435.jpg

Noveske 16" Recon medium contour barrel: 2 pounds, 1.6 ounces.

noveske_rrecon_43-1338417.jpg

Colt 16" HBAR barrel (6721): 2 pounds, 3.4 ounces.

colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1338222.jpg

Larue 16" Stealth barrel: 2 pounds, 5.7 ounces.

larue_16_inch_stealth_barrel_002-1338227.jpg

Last edited:
In your first post, you said you were debating between the 6720 and 6920. Now you're talking about the price of a 6721. Which model are you actually looking at?
6720, 6721, LE6940, and LE6921. I'm really between the first three but I'm at the point where I am trying to find say a 6720 and I see a 6721 for a slightly better price and I want to know how that one is. I've never delved this deep into AR's before.

I decided to go with the 6721.

The barrel on the Colt 6721 is one of the most accurate "off the shelf" chrome-lined NATO chambered AR-15 barrels that I've tested. With a free-float handguard and match grade handloads, these barrels have produced excellent precision for me.

55 blitzkings from colt 6721 barrel 21 labeled resized.jpg

The barrel on the Colt 6721 is one of the most accurate "off the shelf" chrome-lined NATO chambered AR-15 barrels that I've tested. With a free-float handguard and match grade handloads, these barrels have produced excellent precision for me.

View attachment 7556601

I saw the data above and that was a strong variable for me. But that is a very impressive grouping. I’ll shoot it for a while and eventually think about free floating it. But I am thinking about eventually building a match ar.

I also had a question about cleaning. I am planning on getting a carbon fiber 1 piece cleaning rod .22 - .26 cal, a .22 brass jag, a .22 bronze brush, .17 - .22 cleaning patches, and an AR-15 bore guide. I already have some brushes, ballistol, hoppe's no.9, and rags. Is there anything adjustments I should make? I am also looking for a carbon scraper like the CAT or the Real Avid.