• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First attempt at hand loads for Gap-10

Pilky01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Western U.S.
Tried rolling my own. Turned out pretty well. I have loaded handgun for a while but loading for a rifle is a whole new ballgame. 178gr A-max with 42.6 grains of IMR 4046 Oal=2.8". This was my ten shot group from 100 yards prone with a bipod. I wanted to make sure they performed before I made more. I liked what I saw.
ajubynaz.jpg

Calipers are set at .75"

Last edited:
Nice group! That's a pretty stout load. Any blown primers or pressure signs?

I'm also working a load for my GAP10. Once I got up around 44gr of varget I started punching holes in my primers and having flat primers. I'm very new to reloading but as I understand it, these are signs of the load being a bit 'hot'. Is this correct? The cases were demilled LC with the primers still in them so I can't say what kind of primers they were, and 175gr SMK. I like the performance you're getting. How long is your barrel?

I'm also working a load for my GAP10. Once I got up around 44gr of varget I started punching holes in my primers and having flat primers. I'm very new to reloading but as I understand it, these are signs of the load being a bit 'hot'. Is this correct? The cases were demilled LC with the primers still in them so I can't say what kind of primers they were, and 175gr SMK. I like the performance you're getting. How long is your barrel?

24" barrel.

44gr of Varget with 175gr SMK's is a pretty tried and true combo. It has worked fine in all my gas and bolt rifles over the years with all brass including LC.

What is your OAL? If you can load a tad longer and still get reliable feeding in your magazines, that may relieve enough pressure to solve the issue. If not, back off a half grain or so and see what happens. Should still be plenty accurate.

44gr of Varget with 175gr SMK's is a pretty tried and true combo. It has worked fine in all my gas and bolt rifles over the years with all brass including LC.

What is your OAL? If you can load a tad longer and still get reliable feeding in your magazines, that may relieve enough pressure to solve the issue. If not, back off a half grain or so and see what happens. Should still be plenty accurate.

I had the OAL a tad under 2.8 just to be sure they fit my LR20s. It was 2.78 I blieve. I didnt immediately notice the primers until the little bits of metal started wreaking havok with my BCG. I'm going to try both increasing the OAL and backing off the powder a bit. Actually, my next thing is to try the step test outlined in the reloading forum. probbly where I shoud have asked this question in the first place. Sorry to the OP.

Tried rolling my own. Turned out pretty well. I have loaded handgun for a while but loading for a rifle is a whole new ballgame. 178gr A-max with 42.6 grains of IMR 4046 Oal=2.8". This was my ten shot group from 100 yards prone with a bipod. I wanted to make sure they performed before I made more. I liked what I saw.
ajubynaz.jpg

Calipers are set at .75"
Great shooting, any velocity numbers for your load?

I had the OAL a tad under 2.8 just to be sure they fit my LR20s. It was 2.78 I blieve. I didnt immediately notice the primers until the little bits of metal started wreaking havok with my BCG. I'm going to try both increasing the OAL and backing off the powder a bit. Actually, my next thing is to try the step test outlined in the reloading forum. probbly where I shoud have asked this question in the first place. Sorry to the OP.

No apologies necessary you are asking good relevant questions. I like hearing what others try and what they learn. That is why I posted.

Great shooting from a great rifle/carbine.

They are great rifles. It has taken me a few months to really get in sync with it. Having a great time learning. First rifle I have owned that makes me grin while shooting it because it is so dead on.

I have some very similar loads. They shot very well, but I was getting signs of over pressure. Beautiful grouping for a semi-auto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also I tried this load. Out of 10 shots I had 1 flattened primer. This however is my long range load and not a hoser load as I am a heavy metal 3 gunner. IMR 4064 45.9gr, 168gr BTHP Berger, CCI 200, with Winchester brass. COAL 2.800 as to fit in PMAG. My rifle is a JP barrel 18" with sun devil receiver set. JP enhanced bolt and low mass bolt group. Rolling thunder comp. I'm pushing this load at 2620 fps @ 70 degrees F. @ 29.800 baro. I have taken this load to 1150 yds. with great success. Holding 1.5 MOA, but this is with a 6x scope. I believe that I'd

The book Black Magic could be useful to you.
Oriented on the AR15, lots of info for reloading and shooting semi's

nice shooting and good job rolling your own, take them to longer range and see how they do next, 100 yds is too close.
cheers,

nice shooting and good job rolling your own, take them to longer range and see how they do next, 100 yds is too close.
cheers,

I agree just wanted to compare the grouping to some factory. I will try them out at some real distance tomorrow.

That's a hot load. My best load for that bullet and LC brass was 43 grains of varget but past that I started to get pressure signs and 44 a primer popped. When you see people post data on here drop a grain or two and then work up in .3 or .5 grain increments to see how well it works in your rifle.