• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First Baffle Strike...

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
Had a baffle strike last week while shooting my Bergara B-14 HMR with my AAC 7.62 SD. About 20 rounds in, the suppressor came loose. Took me 3 rounds of severely inaccurate fire to figure out that something was wrong... :confused:

So, noob to suppressors. Other than checking the can every 10 rounds to make sure it's still on securely, is there anything else I can do to try and eliminate something like this from happening again?

It happens. I have had mine come loose before. I check mine every 10 rounds-ish now.

Had a baffle strike last week while shooting my Bergara B-14 HMR with my AAC 7.62 SD. About 20 rounds in, the suppressor came loose. Took me 3 rounds of severely inaccurate fire to figure out that something was wrong... :confused:

So, noob to suppressors. Other than checking the can every 10 rounds to make sure it's still on securely, is there anything else I can do to try and eliminate something like this from happening again?
That why you should have a direct thread can.

The can threads directly onto the barrel without an adapter. Is that not a direct thread can?

It is and mounting your can this way can come loose if you don't check it every so often

Last edited:
Reactions: RLinNH
That goes without saying. My AAC makes this pretty much Marine Proof as when it's tight, it clicks...

Don't be afraid to tighten it.

Every time I screw it on a new gun I grab it and torque it on, loosen, torque, loosen, and give it a snap of the wrist. I then look for my witness mark on the can and put a matching sharpie mark on the barrel so I can keep track that it's going onto the same place every time.

Occasionally on brand new threads you'll have a slight amount of wear right away on the peaks. Giving it a few on/off cycles as tight as you can reasonably get by hand will make sure the surfaces are mating. I never bother again after I know the can holds tight on a barrel, just spin it up tight and crank it with my hands.

The very first range trip with my very first can (omega 300) I had a baffle strike. Direct thread on shoddy barrel shoulder walked loose. Was having a blast, until I noticed all of my shots were real low and to the left.

Unloaded looked at the front cap, and it was like someone punched me in the gut.

The very first range trip with my very first can (omega 300) I had a baffle strike. Direct thread on shoddy barrel shoulder walked loose. Was having a blast, until I noticed all of my shots were real low and to the left.

Unloaded looked at the front cap, and it was like someone punched me in the gut.

Hey, I know that feeling... :rolleyes:

That sucks about the baffle strike. Hope AAC fixes it for you without any issue.

That sucks about the baffle strike. Hope AAC fixes it for you without any issue.
I e-mailed them last week to confirm that they had received it. I'm not happy with the lack of communication from AAC. What with the flaming hoops we have to jump through to own ANY suppressor, you'd think that they would at least let you know that they had received your NFA item...

I have had baffle strikes with 2 different cans SilencerCo Saker 762 and DeadAir Wolf9Sd. Both companies fixed it quickly without any questions. But, I was also not impressed with their communication. I had to call both companies to check on status.

I had a baffle strike on my AAC 762 and they fixed it pretty quick but that was 5 years ago now.

I build my own suppressors and taper mounts. Haven’t had a taper mount or direct thread come loose yet. Hopefully doesn’t