• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Bolt Gun Project

Dtarget

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Texas
I would like to build a decent rifle for mostly F-Class TR matches and occasional fun/field shoots. I have minimal experience with bolt guns and this will be my first attempt at doing any work on them.

Base rifle will be a Savage 10FP (staggered feed).

Right now I am leaning towards the following:

Lothar Walther varmint 24" drop in barrel 1:10 (0.84" at muzzle)
Sharp Shooter Supply competition recoil lung
CDI Precision DM bottom metal
McMillan A2 with adjustable cheek piece, versa-pod mounting stud, pillars installed, and inletted for the bottom metal.

For optics, I am leaning towards a USO ST-10

Anything stand out as a bad idea? Suggestions on other options?

Re: First Bolt Gun Project

good plan but there is no need for bottom metal for F/TR as you can only shoot and load 1 round at a time and you will need a little more magnification if you want to hit the 5" x ring at 1k. The Nighforce benchrest scopes rule F class competitions so look there first.

If your going with Sharp Shooters Supply stuff, why not just get a brux barrel from them, I hear good things about them. Plus a 24 inch barrel seems a little short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good plan but there is no need for bottom metal for F/TR as you can only shoot and load 1 round at a time and you will need a little more magnification if you want to hit the 5" x ring at 1k. The Nighforce benchrest scopes rule F class competitions so look there first. </div></div>

I'm not arguing but I looked through the fclass rules and don't see where it says that.

It would be pointless because the target gets pulled an scored every shot but I'm curious where it says that

10.1.6 Loading - In all events, the rifle will be loaded with only one cartridge at a time. The bolt shall be closed
only with rifle pointed in the direction of the target and the rifle is in your shoulder.