• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Comp tomorrow!

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
First competition tomorrow. Local club, 200-900yds. No classes, I’ll be running a 223rem (Origin/proof 1:7/MPA/TT Diamond).

I know I’m handicapped with a 223, and the fact that this is my first comp, but I’m hoping to have a blast.

Any last minute advice?

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Let people know you're new, don't be bashful. Ask for help, if they offer to loan gear take them up on it.

Plan on timing out, try to get off maybe half your shots but make them quality.

Mentally run through the stage and prep yourself. Look at the targets and know where they are and in what order.

Bolt back on transition, don't flag anyone, don't ND. Have fun!

As Sheldon has said, let folks know you're new.

Watch how others approach the stage. Don't worry about getting all your rounds downrange, make your shots count.

Ask for help, borrow gear if needed, and most of all...

make some friends and have FUN!!

<take a few notes afterwards on things you need to work on. Also, I would recommend NOT buying a bunch of new gear unless you've tried it out first... otherwise it may just sit in your basement... so I've heard>

Reactions: Dot3 and nikonNUT
900 yards in dirty jersey? Where?

As soon as you come off a stage, immediately prep for the next one. Reset your scope, reload your mags, study and gameplan the upcoming stage, get water and snacks if needed, bathroom break if needed. Only when all of that is done should you be watching other shooters.

Also, if you’re keeping your brass, or even just cleaning up if that’s the range expectation, take whatever time it takes for that. I have a tendency to want to rush to get out of the way of the next guy; that’s a great recipe for losing brass, or even worse, a safety violation. As soon as you finish shooting a stage, drop the mag, clear the chamber, and follow whatever other safety steps are required (such as a chamber flag). Then collect your gear/brass. THEN it’s the next guy’s turn. The firing line is yours until you’re done with your process.

Have fun!

Reactions: DIBBS
If you dont have your own binos ask someone in your squad to look through theirs. Finding the targets will probably be the hardest part. Knowing where they are before its your turn is crucial. Let everyone know you're new and ask questions. Welcome to the addiction

Reactions: nikonNUT
If you dont have your own binos ask someone in your squad to look through theirs. Finding the targets will probably be the hardest part. Knowing where they are before its your turn is crucial. Let everyone know you're new and ask questions. Welcome to the addiction
All good suggestions, this one for sure. Take/find some glass and look down range to find the targets and get a mental picture of where they are in relation to each other and the terrain. Find a unique tree/unique berm/etc that’s easy to spot and reference from that. If you spend 3 sec looking for a target in the scope, come off the scope and reorient/square yourself up with your eyes. And remember, as long as you don’t do anything unsafe nobody cares if you bomb a stage or clean a stage. They’re busy getting ready for their next stage.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

best of luck , not that you need it just have fun and enjoy send back pics or video .

Wound up having a blast. About 50 shooters from all different backgrounds. It wasn’t what you’d call a sanctioned “prs” event, but rather a local club match.

Results were only given for the top 5, but out of the 50, I’d imagine I placed somewhere about 10-15. I was the only 223, every other shooter had a 6.5CM.

There were 10 stages, 90 rounds total. I timed out on several stages, but managed to score 60 hits. I probably put about 70-75 rounds down range.

I was happy with my hit percentage, but in hindsight needed to speed up. I did very well out to 700yds, 700-900 brought me some misses, but I did manage to make 3 out 4 hits at 900.

Overall I was pleased for my first event. The gear I brought worked well, and I have no immediate plans to upgrade anything other than my skill set.

For anyone attending their first match, here’s my recommendation:
-One barricade bag (I have a pint sized game hanger)
-A small rear bag
-Accurate DOPE out to range
-Binos
-Bipod
-An extra magazine

You really don’t need a whole lot to compete, at least from my “limited experience”. So many guys were running kestrels and ballistic data, and it didn’t seem to make a damn difference. I just had my dope out to 900, and made a few wind calls when applicable.

Last edited: