• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns First concealed carry " Illinois" .40 or 45 either would be a Sig suggestions??

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I will be buying a concealed carry pistol and live in Illinois , I was going to get a Glock 29 the compact 10 mm as I have a Glock mdl 20"C" now and love it .
    After training a majority of the "professionals" carry a P229 sig in 40 cal
    I will not be carrying the sig due to the fact I know of some one who was holstering a Glock had left his hand on the trigger and shot his leg
    Not saying its the Glocks fault just the Sigs have more available options such as decoking etc.

would you have suggestions for me as I have has pistols for 30 plus years but looking for the best carry unit and appreciate your experience as I have none

Sig P229 sas
    Sig P220 sas

or other???

Thanks Bill

That was user error. Not pistol. Use it right and it won't happen.

The Sig is nice but heavier. I have a 229 .40 and my Glock 19 gets carried more. The 220 is even larger.

Never been a fan of those subcompact Glocks since shooting a few. For only concealed carry and not much shooting they are fine but if you plan on shooting them then I would go up to the compacts(19/23) as they are much nice to shoot as well as carry.

You have to have a decock on it?

I carried a 239 for a number of years. Little bulky for its capacity but I loved that pistol. Very accurate and reliable for me. I never had any qualms about 40 not being enough power either

I had to sell it quite a while ago and have since bought a glock 27 as a carry gun. Have no problem with the Glock either and I agree it was operator error that caused that discharge. Even decocked any DA pistol will go off if handled poorly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The guy that shot himself while holstering his glock was his fault, not the glocks. I love when people blame the firearms for user error, guy holsters a pistol with his finger in the trigger area, must be the guns fault.

If you don't know how to safely holster a pistol, you shouldn't be carrying one.

Carry whatever your comfortable with

Who is John Galt?

I look at defensive handguns in one of two ways; those with a manual safety and those without. Guns with manual safeties include the 1911s, SAOs from various makers as well as some of the M&P or striker guns. Personally I prefer those without manual safeties which include most of the striker or safe-action pistols as well as the DA/SA. All of these handguns function as pull the trigger, go bang. Of these, I MUCH prefer the DA/SA platforms for the very reason you explained above. While it is true that knowing your weapon and the nuisances it may have while holstering will prevent unwanted discharges, the Sig has one very important physical attribute that I prefer...the exposed hammer. Whenever I holster my weapon, first and foremost it is done slowly. Secondly, I always place my thumb OVER the exposed hammer. The gun cannot fire unless the hammer moves. By placing my thumb over the hammer while holstering, I get tactile feedback should the trigger hang-up and disrupt the hammer/sear disconnect. Also, the fact that the trigger pull weight for DA is around 8-10 lbs, it is a little harder to engage the firing system vs a "safe-action" gun that has a 6 lb trigger.

Please don't take any of my comments to be "bashing" Glocks or M&Ps or XDs or any of the other gun manufactures out there. I'm not implying that their guns are unsafe merely that I prefer a different operating system for the reasons above.

As for which gun...the 229 is a little smaller than the full sized 220 but Sig also make two other 220 versions. The carry and the compact. The 220 full sized has a 4.4" barrel. The carry has the same grip size but the barrel is reduced to 3.9". The compact has the 3.9" barrel and a smaller grip (in length). The 229/.40 is a double stack and has more capacity than the single stack 220 when using flush magazines. But another gun worthy of consideration...Sig now has the 227 which is a double stack .45 and it has 10+1 capacity.

I value capacity more than caliber. Accuracy makes up for ANY difference in bullet size and having more firepower could be the difference between a good day or a bad one.

Semper Fi...Sig Marine

Rob 01
    I could not agree more and stated that it was not the Glocks fault it was user error

The Sig is nice but heavier. I have a 229 .40 and my Glock 19 gets carried more. The 220 is even larger.

Never been a fan of those subcompact Glocks since shooting a few. For only concealed carry and not much shooting they are fine but if you plan on shooting them then I would go up to the compacts(19/23) as they are much nice to shoot as well as carry.

Sig

I think you answered your own question valuing capacity over caliber. You like Sig's so sounds like a 229 is the choice for you.

I am not familiar with Sig's entire line, but they are heavy I don't know if they have a reliable polymer pistol for your intended purpose.

Who is John Galt?

Weight can be an issue with Sigs although my carry is an all-stainless 229/.40 which comes in at a hefty 45 ounces. I'm not a big guy but have become accustomed to the weight. I also have an alloy framed version which is 10 ounces lighter but still.... more weight than a lot of people want to carry. While I prefer Sigs, polymer frames are a pleasure to carry. Sig makes the 2022 which weights 29 ounces, but that's still 3 ounces heaver than the Glock subcompact 26. As mentioned above, any gun needs to be learned and practiced. That's why I'm a big fan of shooting IDPA whether it's for the competitive aspect or just improving skill sets. While it is not a very realistic scenario of tactical shooting, it does make one work with the holster under a timed environment. It also gives people the opportunity to work on skills not normally associated with range shooting while practicing safe gun handling.

I'm just shy of 6'1 and 200lbs. I carry a glock19 and love it. I've had 26's in the past and I shoot them quite well. I probably will add a 26 again in the future.

Who is John Galt?

I would go 9mm or 45ACP. Modern ammunition for 9mm is really good, higher magazine capacity and most handle 9mm recoil better than 40. If your heart is set on .45 then go that route. Shot placement is vastly more important than caliber and you'll probably appreciate the lower cost of 9mm ammunition.

If I'm carrying a pistol I want lightweight. So for me that's an aluminum or polymer frame. I personally carry a G19 and it seems to be the best compromise of size, accuracy, magazine capacity and weight. You're getting 16 rounds in a relatively small package and the pistol itself is pretty light. It also takes the larger capacity 17 mags so that's nice as well. When I pick up a Sig 226/229 I just feel like I'm holding a boat anchor. They have clubby dimensions and are pretty expensive. I enjoy shooting them but they're so heavy for what you're getting. That's just my personal opinion. I would go G19 and put a good trigger in it. Whether you run a Glock, MP, or Sig DA/SA if you holster the weapon with your finger in the trigger you're most likely going to have a negligent discharge. No safety feature is a replacement for competent weapons handling.

That being said get what you want. Sig makes a fine pistol and if it's your cup of tea get one, train with it and carry it. A lot of companies are putting out fine sidearms so get what you like. The new Sig 227 is pretty awesome. If they come out with a threaded barrel option I actually might get one of those just for shits and gigs. Good luck!

100% agree. I even have the same pistols and rarely carry the 229 due to size and weight, and I have two matching Gen 3 G19s to make sure I will never be without one. I did recently pick up a Beretta Nano for those times I need very small, but that's about as small as I will go. I shoot it decent, but nowhere near as well as the Glock.

I do know how to keep my bugger finger off the bang switch when holstering, so I haven't shot myself yet either. As others have said, a DAO or SA/DA pistol such as the Sig you're looking at will still ND if you have your finger on the trigger at the wrong time. It just takes more pull to do it.

Bottom line though, if you need SAO and/or a manual safety to disable the trigger, I would recommend the S&W M&P Shield or Compact with thumb safety.

My biggest recommendation would be a professional handgun course tailored to concealed carry, and I'm not talking about the state minimum course for the permit. I'm talking about a week long one that has a >2000 round count live-fire portion with quality instructors, or at least a minimum of 500 rounds over a couple days. The one I went through in the Marine Corps (HRP) set me up for success more than all the pistol quals and live fire training I ever did otherwise or since.