• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First custom build, help needed!

WheelinShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
First off I am very new here and would love some help with my first custom build. I guess Ill start with a little info on me and then start off on my build specs. I am 26 and have been shooting/hunting most of my life. I have a few nice rifles but nothing that I have built myself. I was paralyzed 7 years ago and have an issue with balance so this build will have to try and be on the lighter side. It will be mostly used for hunting, such as black tail and white tail, and pig hunting(which is what I do the most), with a little varmit hunting here and there. This is where Im at as of now but would love some input from yall. And for me, the lighter the better!

Action-Stiller Tac-30, Xtereme shootings ti action or the GAP templar.

Barrel-Proof Research with a Vais brake, but I am not sure on how long I should go with the barrel.

Stock-I need something lite, I like the lone wolf summit style stock, but really open to anything in that style.

Trigger-Timney

Scope-No idea

Any help would be great, like I said this is my first build so Im sure there are things that can be improved on. My budget is about 4k. It will be shooting 308 and I will be doing my own loading as well.

-Marc

Re: First custom build, help needed!

Make sure you get the Timney straight from them and explain its going on a custom Stiller action. You'll need a longer sear with it or you'll get tons of light strikes. Hope this helps.

Personally, Id skip the timney trigger all together if using a stiller. I had one on mine and switched to the jewell and cannot understand why I did not do it sooner! Not saying the Timney is bad....but a jewell is just that much better.

Manners just came out with a new line of hunting stocks, I would go with a featherweight contour instead of the Proof barrel and take the money and grab the Ti action. I know there are lite weight hunting scopes out there. Check out Leo and Burris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcThurston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off I am very new here and would love some help with my first custom build. I guess Ill start with a little info on me and then start off on my build specs. I am 26 and have been shooting/hunting most of my life. I have a few nice rifles but nothing that I have built myself. I was paralyzed 7 years ago and have an issue with balance so this build will have to try and be on the lighter side. It will be mostly used for hunting, such as black tail and white tail, and pig hunting(which is what I do the most), with a little varmit hunting here and there. This is where Im at as of now but would love some input from yall. And for me, the lighter the better!

Action-Stiller Tac-30, Xtereme shootings ti action or the GAP templar.

Barrel-Proof Research with a Vais brake, but I am not sure on how long I should go with the barrel.

Stock-I need something lite, I like the lone wolf summit style stock, but really open to anything in that style.

Trigger-Timney

Scope-No idea

Any help would be great, like I said this is my first build so Im sure there are things that can be improved on. My budget is about 4k. It will be shooting 308 and I will be doing my own loading as well.

-Marc

</div></div>

Stocks: Manners http://mannersstocks.com/hunting/

Barrel: I'd go for a #3 or #4 Bartlein, Kreiger, ETC

Action: I'd go Stiller or the Ti (Or Trued Remington you save a few bucks for optics)

Trigger: either Jewel or Timney... I prefer Timney

Scope: Swarozski

Also I'd consider a 6.5 (260, 6.5x47, or 6.5 Creedmore) over a 308... better ballistics and softer on the shoulder.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I will check out the manners stock and see how they look. As far as not using the proof barrel and going with an ultra lite, I'm not 100% sure. Would the ultra lite barrels burn out faster? I'm sure that's a dumb question but like I said this is my first build and I'm not up on all of this stuff.

Does anyone know about those X-treme shooting ti actions? Or is there another brand to look at?

Sprayed99, thank you for the suggestion on changing the caliber, any huge loading differences between the 260 and 308? Or are they about the same price wise?

This is my current hunting set up, that I will be retiring after this build is done, as I have a rem 700 223 sendero for my varmint rig. This thing is way to heavy, kick isn't bad but don't enjoy it because of my injury issues.
Photobucket

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcThurston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you everyone for the input.

I will check out the manners stock and see how they look. As far as not using the proof barrel and going with an ultra lite, I'm not 100% sure. Would the ultra lite barrels burn out faster? I'm sure that's a dumb question but like I said this is my first build and I'm not up on all of this stuff.

Does anyone know about those X-treme shooting ti actions? Or is there another brand to look at?

Sprayed99, thank you for the suggestion on changing the caliber, any huge loading differences between the 260 and 308? Or are they about the same price wise? </div></div>

brass is a bit more, but other than that its a wash. For what you gain in performance its a no brainer to switch.

As far as the barrel goes... No it won't "burn out faster" for what that carbon wrapped barrel cost you, you could easily build a switch barrel and have both a 308 and 260. Or like I said earlier more money for glass.

Just get a #4 fluted barrel and enjoy better glass. Oh and with the 260 24" finished is a good length.

I would definitely go with either a 6.5mm or a 6mm cartridge, mainly for the reduction in recoil. .243, .260, or 6.5 creedmore..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcThurston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you everyone for the input.

Sprayed99, thank you for the suggestion on changing the caliber, any huge loading differences between the 260 and 308? Or are they about the same price wise? </div></div>

brass is a bit more, but other than that its a wash. For what you gain in performance its a no brainer to switch.

As far as the barrel goes... No it won't "burn out faster" for what that carbon wrapped barrel cost you, you could easily build a switch barrel and have both a 308 and 260. Or like I said earlier more money for glass.

Just get a #4 fluted barrel and enjoy better glass. Oh and with the 260 24" finished is a good length. </div></div>

Thanks man. I wasnt too sure if it was a barrel burner or not, to be honest its not like it would make that big of a differance anyways. Being that it will be a hunting rig, I wont be putting thousands of rounds down range.

Joe, I will shoot you a call tonight, would like to check that stock out, see how it feels, weight and what not. I will be home after 430/5 if you wanted to swing by.

Any recommendations on the brake?