• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First day out with the M24

scatsob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2005
Jacksonville, NC
Got a chance to shoot my M24 today. I am a little embarrassed to post the targets, as the first few were with some old "match" handloads that I used to make sure it was on paper, and it was. The last five shots of the day I used some HSM match and this was the group. I think its a one hole gun if I get back into the swing of things. Its been about 5 years since I shot regularly with a quality precision rifle.
8naq.jpg

fzhh.jpg

Last edited:
We will see $1.00 per round match ammo again right after the $2.00 per gallon gas!

Got a chance to shoot my M24 today. I am a little embarrassed to post the targets, as the first few were with some old "match" handloads that I used to make sure it was on paper, and it was. The last five shots of the day I used some HSM match and this was the group. I think its a one hole gun if I get back into the swing of things. Its been about 5 years since I shot regularly with a quality precision rifle.
8naq.jpg

fzhh.jpg

Congratulations pn the rifle , as for the target dont sweat it too hard , just practice and have fun

Got to shoot again with a variety of 168gr ammo. Shot a box of HSM, box of Hornady 168gr AMAX, and a box of PPU match. All shot very well. I have 400 rounds of FGGM 175gr on the way and I expect it to do even better. Here is the best target and best group. Each group is 5 shots, and the best group was actually the PPU ammo, go figure. Anyways, I think she's a keeper :).
p3o7.jpg

q2bk.jpg

You can still get $1.00 match ammo, you just have to load it. nice stick.

After 5 years off at my age I might not remember which end of the weapon to point down range. Good job and sure you'll get back to smaller groups with more practice. I shoot those 3 inch targets frequently and others at the range think I'm crazy when putting them out and are quite surprised when I bring the frame in and all 5 rounds are easily 1 MOA in each target. Of course I'm not happy unless I'm 1/2 MOA or less, but only skilled enough so far to do that 1/3rd of the time.

I bought a few boxes of that ppu in 168 a few weeks back and I got the best groups out of my rem 700aac. I shot a box of parma usa, nosler, black hills, and federal match, and the ppu shot the best group.

I bought a few boxes of that ppu in 168 a few weeks back and I got the best groups out of my rem 700aac. I shot a box of parma usa, nosler, black hills, and federal match, and the ppu shot the best group.

Nice to hear someone with a similar experience. I have a bit of 175gr GMM on the way so I'm curious to see how it shoots with the heavier round. I have 5 more boxes of the PPU but might pick up some more since there is a guy locally that sells it for $20 a box.

nice rifle, and a good re-start on precision shooting, it'll come back to you with little practice.

nice rifle and shooting. nice to see that i'm not the only one that's had a decent run of the pps stuff. keep practicing, it'll all come back to you.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Went to the range one last time before a long leave to cali. This time I shot two boxes of the Privi and one of the Hornady 168 AMaxes. The first target is the Privi and the second is the Hornady. I understand the difference now between quality ammo and not so quality ammo. With all things the same the spread was noticeably different. I cant wait to get the GMM 175gr I have on order to see how it does. All targets have five shots except the bottom left on the Hornady target which is 10 shots. The mirage was terrible today (92deg and 1,000,000% humidity) and it was tough to see well, so not bad considering.
qlw1.jpg

bu1g.jpg

Nice groups there. Though I must say, Reloading would be a great idea. I think with a nice tailored load, Your rifle would shoot one hole all the time. I can definitely see some potential in the groups you have posted. You're definitely shooting some nice groups but I think a nice reload would be icing on the cake for your new rifle.
Good shooting.

Nice groups there. Though I must say, Reloading would be a great idea. I think with a nice tailored load, Your rifle would shoot one hole all the time. I can definitely see some potential in the groups you have posted. You're definitely shooting some nice groups but I think a nice reload would be icing on the cake for your new rifle.
Good shooting.

Thank you :). Unfortunately with four little ones at home I have little time to shoot much less reload. For now I will just shoot with commercial match ammo.

Well, not that I am in any way unhappy with the HS stock, but I bought the M24 AICS for my M24. I have always wanted an AICS and got behind one at a recent gun show and then shot behind one the next day at the range and loved it. I am on leave for the next month and the stock will be waiting for me when I get back. Ill post with I get it.