• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First days with a NIB Ruger PC Carbine (9mm)

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Mine arrived in-house Tuesday (10/23/18), a day after the required (but not included) magazine well adapter for the Ruger American Pistol 9 Pro magazines I'll be sharing with my RAP (normally included are two adapters, one for the LC9 and Security 9, as well as a second one for Glock magazines). I installed the RAP adapter (obtained from Brownell's), and added an older Tasco Red Dot scope on the receiver's PIC rail. There is a short PIC rail section under the extreme front of the forend. The Tasco has a significantly lower mounting than typical AR dots, which are too high for this stock.

Well, Tuesday's torrential rain had ended and a few days' clear weather allowed access to the Douglas AZ Municipal Shooting Park without fording large puddles (ponds?), bringing my 19 y/o Grandson Patrick along for the outing. Pat has shown good marksmanship with The RAP, and it made sense to bring him along as an 'everyman' subject for the testing of the new PC Carbine.

Shooting off a concrete bench and Harris style (clone) bipod, the Carbine was dead on target after 4 double taps at 25yd. I had intended to move it out further after that, but my cataracts have gotten serious (my operation is for two weeks away), so all testing remained at 25yd.

The firearm was tested with two 17rd magazines of each brand of Winchester White Box 115gr RN, S&B 115gr RN, Independence Aluminum Case 115gr RN, and a separate run using 10rd of Federal Premium Hydra-Shok 124gr JHP. There were no malfunctions of any kind. The RN loads all shot about the same, grouping about 2" or less at 25yd, with this tightening up considerably (down to 1") as I grew more accustomed to the Carbine. I was pretty pleased, especially since I was shooting with no magnification and my vision issues. The Hydra-Shoks were especially accurate going into two groups of 1" and just under 1" and the same POI. Recoil was noticeable, but not significantly heavy.

I then turned the Carbine loose with Patrick, for the 'everyman' stage of testing. I gave him a full 100rd box of Winchester White Box 115gr RN, and left him completely alone to shoot at an assortment of 6" and 2" shoot-n-see targets. He made it through about 50rd worth before he got tired of loading mags. His shooting was marginally better than mine, eventually getting sub-1" groups and putting individual shots within 1/2" of dead center of the 2" targets. He reported two FTF's, but not until after he was done. I examined the two cartridges, and found no signs of defects or damage.

I cannot confirm causes or whether or not op err was involved, but for general purposes, I am reporting that an unacquainted shooter had two FTF's on their first outing with the rifle, and that I had no such issues myself in 61 rounds of my own testing, stated without prejudice.

The rifle is quite sturdy, very smooth operating, balances comfortably, and is a bit heavier than appearances might suggest. I did not test with the irons, but past reviews suggest the rifle comes zeroed from the factory. The operating handle is switchable, and I had switched mine to the left. The magazine release is also switchable, and I had left mine on the left side. My overall observation is that the rifle is going to be reliable, very functional, and I enjoyed every moment with it at the range.

Further testing is envisioned at 50yd and 100yd, and maybe 200yd, using a telescopic sight, and not before December, assuming no complications with my cataract surgery.

I will probably also try testing with Fiocchi 158gr Subsonic for accuracy, although I have no intentions of mounting any suppressor on the threaded muzzle. I suspect the 16" barrel will probably boost the velocity some, but will not be testing for velocity, and I think it's a probably contender for extended distance shooting in this Carbine. (I've been wrong before...)

Greg

PS, although the Independence aluminum case ammo functioned flawlessly and shot to essentially the same degree of accuracy, I will be buying Blazer Brass 124gr RN for future Non-HD usage.

Last edited:
Interesting. I was talking with a buddy of mine who competes frequently in USPSA PCC matches, and he was saying that he and others have noticed that different makes of PCCs all seem to group JHP bullets more accurately than than RN bullets of the same weight. I've seen that in my own 9mm PCCs as well.

I was pleased as well. I also wonder whether the 124gr Bullet weight was a factor in the better accuracy, and am basing my choice of the Blazer 124gr RN for practice, etc., on that hunch.

Greg

Typically the heavier 9mm rounds have more contact surface with the barre. and HP bullets have a closed end which enhaces the uniformity of the bullet base. All these contirbute to better accuracy at longer ranges when compare to 115 FMJ which is mostly radiused tip not contacting the barrel much.