• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing First Deer hunt.....need help

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    I'm heading out hunting with my father in-law in dec. It will be my first time and we will be in Kentucky. I will be getting a new TC Triumph BP .50 cal rifle. I have a pair of binoculars as well. I am looking for help with the other stuff i'll need. ammo, cold weather gear, gloves etc...... Mainly, I will keep my hunting to deer and turkey and the like. My AO will be jersey, Pa, WV, Ky. thanks in advance for the advice and help. FWIW, we'll be on private land. in case that matters.
    thanks

Your gear will depend on what kind of hunting you do. Are you going to be doing spot and stalk? Sitting in a blind? Tree stand?

Weather that time of year can get especially cold an snowy so I would suggest good cold weather gear if possible rain gear as well. The 10x42s will work great for Kentucky. Good powder I think they are white hots by IMR seem to work real well. That time of year the boots I wear have 1000 grams of insulation so they keep you nice and warm. For blind use double bull blinds work really well.

Worry less about your gear and a whole lot about scouting. It's December so it'll be cold. Dress in layers. I wouldn't worry about camo for deer. Know the area you're hunting. Google earth aerial photos whatever. Visit with the landowners about wildlife patterns. Spend more time sitting than stalking. Good luck and have fun.

i believe we're gonna set up near a cornfield. from what i hear we're almost assurd to get some nice deer.

I would worry less about buying tons of new gear and focus on things that will keep you in the woods longer. Dress in layers. Pack snacks,coffee,soda, back up battery for your smart phone or anything to help you stay hooked. More time in the woods equals more chances. Also check into air activated hand/toe warmers. Here's a link to wally world. You can buy them individually.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/10910810?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb

Last edited:
    staying warm is the key. if you are hunting from a blind I wouldn't worry about camo. like said before dress in layers, if your from jersey i'm sure you know how to do that. while I don't agree with the extra battery for your phone, it is a good idea to keep new hunters in the field longer to get that first deer. hunting is a game of patience and knowing the land you hunt. obviously you wont get much time to scout because you live so far away, but talk to the land owners to get you in the right direction. one thing that hasn't really been said yet is to get some time behind your new gun. taking your first deer is exciting and can make an inexperienced shooter shaky.

but most of all have fun!

Great too hear you are wanting to get into hunting! I dont use black powder but I have hunted Illinois for a long time! First thing I noticed missing was a good fixed blade knife! For gloves I like to wear a lightweight glove under a heavy weight mitten that has the ability to fold the finger portion back. I usually stick a hot hands heater in the finger part. A double bull blind is the way to go, especially in late winter. You will stay warmer! Just brush the blind in good. Get a comfortable chair to put in the blind too. Under armour cold gear face masks are awesome too! Very warm and multiple ways to wear them.

You've had some good advice. I definitely agree with dressing in layers. Make sure that you get some moisture wicking layer to keep sweat and alike off. Turn the phone off or have it on silent. Take something to stay awake but don't drink a bunch of coffee where you are going to have to move out and use the restroom. We use water and energy bars a lot. Use wool socks and get good boots and gloves. I agree with the statement about not concentrating on camo patterns. Camo is nice but don't get caught up spending a ton of $$$ on camo. Zippo makes a hand warmer as well, you soak it with fluid then light it. If you need hunting gear, there are tons of hunting sites that guys are clearing out their closets and you can get some great gear and save some $$$.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the hunt! Take a camera!

When are you planning on hunting since you are running a black powder rifle in KY that will be october or december. Where at in KY. I live in central KY myself. Our In octobers can be up an down with the temps over the last 7 yrs i've seen it still in the 60'- 70'ss or even down in the upper 30's low 40's it can swing rather steeply. In october I go out with camo pants shirt and a good camo jacket. Why all camo well its my hunting clothes thats why. you can wear what ever you want. mine all came from walmart. Boots ,good boots are always nice. and warm gloves. Waterproof and Goretex combos are really great things in any of the hunting clothing. i always check the weather before i go out. ive only needed to take my insulated bibs out in october 1 time and used them only a few times in november during modern gun and even then i dont use them but only for the first few hours then its to warm for them.. ive taged out so ive not gon in december but thats when we get cold and snowy, 30's and below. i use a ground blind as well. but other wise i use a primos doe call, a buck grunt call and some rattling sticks, horns. which ever you want to get. i have a hunting knife by gerber with a gut hook on it for dressing out the deer and a butt out. i just bought a Tenzing 1250 lumbar pack to haul my crap in but you can just get a hunting pack from walmart to carry yours in. One thing about black powder is pellets are great. try diffrent loads instead of trying to chase one bullet powder combo around the target. some BP rifles just favor a certian taste. mine does. AND IT MAY BE A PAIN IN THE BUTT BUT CLEAN AT LEAST RUN A BRUSH AND PATCH DOWN THE BARRELL AFTER EACH SHOT OR YOU WILL PAY HOB SIGHTING IN .