• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First full custom build .408

rburgess

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2011
Rockwell, NC
Looking to have my first full custom rifle built sometime in the summer or early fall, but I'm starting early to have my mind made up about what exactly I want. Here's my list of what I'm thinking as far as components:

Action - Stiller TAC408 in 1.45" with Rail
Barrel - Lawton Stainless in Lost River Bore for solids
1.45", chambered in .408 cheytac, 29" length,
Not sure about contour? Like the straight fluted
look, but that would be insanely heavy, vias-type
muzzle brake
Stock - McMillan A-4 with Thumbwheel Cheekpiece
Bottom metal - Baer
Scope - ?

I'm just looking for any opinions on that set up. I'm just an occasional shooter, more for fun. This is my graduation present from college to myself, so I figured go all out and I'm not too worried about the price to shoot cause it will probably only happen once or twice a month. Thanks..

Re: First full custom build .408

I guess a few starter questions, do you have a lot of experience with small bore rifles? In that sense, .22LR, up through .308 Win or .260 Rem?

Do you plan on hitting soft targets at 2700 yards or have the area to be able to touch out that far?

+1

Thats kind of a large caliber to beging with. Lets not forget about the mucho $$$$$$$$$ its going to cost to shoot it, the extended range needed to really benefit from going that "overbore".

A 6mm, 6.5mm, or 30 cal I think you would get your $$$ worth out of more so than building a .408. Not to mention the availability of components or lack there of in case of the .408.

JMHO

Ahh, Very nice questions. Well, I shot competitive small bore and air rifle for 4 years, so I've spent lots of time with the .22 calibers. As for others, my normal choice for target and hunting is my .308win. That's actually the biggest I own, except for muzzle loaders, although I've shot bigger. The way I ended up at .408 was that I only get to shoot about twice a month, so the cost to shoot, or reload rather, isn't all that bad. I can probably make a set of 100 brass last 4-6 months easily without it getting shot out. I thought about just going to .338LM, but for what I save in build price and shooting price, I lose a great deal of performance. To address your other question, location, ha. I am in NC, which is nothing to like Idaho and Montana. Bout the longest I can get out to without going to a range is probably just over a thousand yds. If I make the travel to one of the long distance ranges, then definitely further. I also have family all over the midwest, usually getting out there once a year, so I'd be cool to shoot out there as well. My biggest fear would be to go smaller and not be satisfied. I can tell you though, I have had alot of personal debate between .338 and .408, haha. Knowing what I've told yall about my shooting habits, would you still say go lower than .408?

-I haven't heard anyone complain about his work. Is there some bad riffs about his stuff?

Why not 375? I don't have any experience with that yet but everything I have read is 375 outperforms the 408.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Albert2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahh, Very nice questions. Well, I shot competitive small bore and air rifle for 4 years, so I've spent lots of time with the .22 calibers. As for others, my normal choice for target and hunting is my .308win. That's actually the biggest I own, except for muzzle loaders, although I've shot bigger. The way I ended up at .408 was that I only get to shoot about twice a month, so the cost to shoot, or reload rather, isn't all that bad. I can probably make a set of 100 brass last 4-6 months easily without it getting shot out. I thought about just going to .338LM, but for what I save in build price and shooting price, I lose a great deal of performance. To address your other question, location, ha. I am in NC, which is nothing to like Idaho and Montana. Bout the longest I can get out to without going to a range is probably just over a thousand yds. If I make the travel to one of the long distance ranges, then definitely further. I also have family all over the midwest, usually getting out there once a year, so I'd be cool to shoot out there as well. My biggest fear would be to go smaller and not be satisfied. I can tell you though, I have had alot of personal debate between .338 and .408, haha. Knowing what I've told yall about my shooting habits, would you still say go lower than .408?

-I haven't heard anyone complain about his work. Is there some bad riffs about his stuff?</div></div>

Excellent! I spent quite a bit of time chasing my tail between the "its the gun, its me, its the gun, its me" problem. I went back to shooting .22, and suddenly my 1MOA gun is shooting 1/3MOA. Funny how that works!

I'm actually in the process of building a .338LM, high quality brass is readily available, as well as load data, parts, components. I've never seen .408 bullets stocked regularly on store shelves, and you'll pay a premium to shoot it. Some of the machine turned rounds at Chey-Tac run upwards of $60 a round.

I'm in Idaho, so being able to touch out 2000 yards or more is just a short drive away. I would seriously consider the implications of range and application before choosing one single caliber over another, making your choice in a holistic manner. Then consider suppression, a top of the line .338 diameter can runs about $2000. A true titanium or Inconel .408 diameter can may run easily $4000 or more.

Whatever you decide, your shoulder will thank you at the end of the day.

Rereading your post, I would suggest you stick with a .308, or look into the .260 Rem. I can get consistent center-mass hits at 1200 using a .308 Win and 200gr SMKs. The .260 will give you all the same range, with less recoil, and more terminal energy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Albert2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to have my first full custom rifle built sometime in the summer or early fall, but I'm starting early to have my mind made up about what exactly I want. Here's my list of what I'm thinking as far as components:

Action - Stiller TAC408 in 1.45" with Rail
Barrel - Lawton Stainless in Lost River Bore for solids
1.45", chambered in .408 cheytac, 29" length,
Not sure about contour? Like the straight fluted
look, but that would be insanely heavy, vias-type
muzzle brake
Stock - McMillan A-4 with Thumbwheel Cheekpiece
Bottom metal - Baer
Scope - ?

I'm just looking for any opinions on that set up. I'm just an occasional shooter, more for fun. This is my graduation present from college to myself, so I figured go all out and I'm not too worried about the price to shoot cause it will probably only happen once or twice a month. Thanks.. </div></div>

Personally I'd go 338L or 338 Norma. I have some friends that use 338L out to 2400 yards with great success. A certain friend reports his friend with 408CT doesn't have any more success at those distances when shot side by side in the same conditions.

Now 375CT is an amazing extreme distance performer. I owned one for years. Nothing I know of outperforms it at this point in time. What it comes down to is velocity combined with ballistic coefficient. 1.1 BC at 3150 fps is awesome! You have to witness the difference at distance to truly understand.

Otherwise your custom build is going to be very cool!