• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns First handgun delimma, 9mm SA

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, Im looking for my first handgun. My budget is yet to be set. Id love to find something in the 500-600 dollar range. I Like the 9mm for its economy and capacity. I have shot a few handguns so far, m&p 40, glock 22 (40), and springfield xd (9mm). Out of all of those the only thing I learned is that I dont care for the 40 s&w, or long trigger pulls, and that I have to have a safety (not a trigger safety)

Ive looked at 1911s in 9mm but I really dont want to get a 1911 in 9mm that only holds 10 rounds, thats a waste. I looked at hi powers and some cz75s and I actually like the cz75s, the hi powers are twice the price of a cz. I know a guy that is getting a sig in 9mm this month so I will probably check that out too. I wouldnt mind shelling out the cash for a sig either if it had a good SA trigger pull and held a decent amount of rounds.

Im just overwhelmed with options, I know what I want, I just dont know if ive found it. any help?

Re: First handgun delimma, 9mm SA

my first 9mm was a sig p226. Its become my favorite pistol to shot. I looked at everything but as soon as i picked it up and handled it I was sold. I even go the 20 round magazines for it. I would just advise you to go to your local gun store and handle as many as you can; not every gun fits everyone the same. It seems like you have done some homework as to what you want as far as capacity is a key for you. Make a list and work off that; you will figure it out! Happy Shopping!

Oh but, when they work, 9mm 1911s are a blast to shoot. With all the weight, they're almost like .22s.

If you like the 1911 style handguns but want high capacity check out the STI website. They build some great stuff.

Check out www.summitgunbroker.com for good deals on Sigs of various sorts.

I would recommend a Glock 17 or 19 but, if you don't like a "safety" on the trigger, it's not for you.

STI builds good hi-cap "1911's" but the price tag is high.

While you may not like the capacity (or the price), a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm is, IMHO, the way to go for a 9mm 1911 at this point in time, especially if it's to be a dedicated carry gun as opposed to a game gun.

For most anyone, a first centerfire pistol really oughtta be a 9mm...unless you want a challenge learning to master heavier hitting calibers, and want to pay considerably more money for ammo.

If you liked the CZ75, I'd recommend getting an EAA Witness (Tanfoglio). Very affordable, and you get a LOT for your money. Some of them are DA/SA and others a simply SA. The "elite" series are all tuned up at the factory, and you basically get a full custom gun for not a lot of cash. These are all CZ75 clones.

For plastic guns with a manual safety, maybe an M&P with safety?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im just overwhelmed with options, I know what I want, I just dont know if ive found it. any help? </div></div>It's a journey; it doesn't matter where you start.

If you have to have a separate safety (which rules out Glock). I would be looking at a XD/XDm or Sig of whatever shape and size feels best to you. I have an XD40, great gun, has the backstrap safety as I'm sure you noticed. XD's are a fair amount cheaper than XDm's and are still very nice guns... Sig 2022 is a pretty nice package as well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im just overwhelmed with options, I know what I want, I just dont know if ive found it. any help? </div></div>It's a journey; it doesn't matter where you start. </div></div>

An excellent point. No better way to figure out what you want/need than to pick one and get going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gravity_Knight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to have a separate safety (which rules out Glock). I would be looking at a XD/XDm or Sig of whatever shape and size feels best to you. I have an XD40, great gun, has the backstrap safety as I'm sure you noticed. XD's are a fair amount cheaper than XDm's and are still very nice guns... Sig 2022 is a pretty nice package as well! </div></div>

I've moved on from XDs, but they are great guns. Also, once the "M" models came out, the used non-M models got CHEAP. $350 is about right. My XD45 had 10k rounds through it, was carried in Kydex for 1.5 years, and it seriously looked new! Rare to find them with thumb safety though.

i have an sti spartan in 9mm yea your limited to ten rounds but if you didnt get it done in ten what are 7 more guna do

best thing you can do is just buy a handgun and go shoot the piss out of it and then figure out what you like or need in a handgun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Im just overwhelmed with options, I know what I want, I just dont know if ive found it. any help? </div></div>

Your hand is different from mine. Your tastes will be different from mine as well.

Your starting point, however, is cheaper, and easier in the long run.

Go to a gun store that rents out handguns to fire. Try everyone they have and see what fits you best. After that find any other gun stores that have different selections of guns and fire them.

Go with gun that you can fire the most accurately out of all of them, and buy that one. Note any malfunctions that you have.

Also, remember that the looks of a gun will not do anything to help you hit the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best thing you can do is just buy a handgun and go shoot the piss out of it and then figure out what you like or need in a handgun </div></div>

^+1

Nothing will serve you better than practice. No matter what gun you carry, the biggest limiting factor to how well it performs is how much you train with it. I'm no expert, but the concepts are pretty universal. I've been in plenty of high stress situations at work, and I can say the equipment is <span style="font-weight: bold">always</span> secondary to the training. The best partners at work are the ones who train the hardest with what they have. We don't have any control over what equipment we are issued, yet we manage to get the job done <span style="font-weight: bold">every</span> time.

Here is a great post by one of our members (LoneWolfUSMC) in reply to various internet experts recommendations as to the "best" home protection rifle. The main parts are at the bottom of page one. Perhaps not pistol specific, but it's definitely relevant.

For me, I started by defining what I was trying to accomplish, then through trial and error, (lots of error, I changed platforms multiple times from HKs to Kimbers and like you I started off demanding a safety and in love with the single action pull. When I started training, there were limitations to that platform for me, that I didn't have in another platform) so finally I ended up with a Glock 19. I chose it because it goes bang every time, I shoot it well and its mag capacity gives me a lot of chances to live. The money saved was spent on ammo to train. It's not my "favorite", its not pretty but it's the best fit for me given what I want it to do and how I perform with it.

If you're overwhelmed by all the choices, choose one of the tried and true brands that you can deal with and shoot it a lot like aloreman said. Then if you decide it's not the right fit for you, sell it and buy something else.

should be a range around somewhere you can rent guns, try out several models. Make sure the ergonomics are right. Grip, trigger pull, sights line up when you bring it to your eye. If you're buying for defense, it's got to work for you first time every time. Try out a LOT of guns but know that you can't buy just one. It's not allowed.

I've been a certified pistol instructor for 12 years, bought and sold a lot of guns and I don't work in a gun store. You'll be back for more.

Shoot, shoot often, take a friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have an sti spartan in 9mm yea your limited to ten rounds but if you didnt get it done in ten what are 7 more guna do </div></div>
I'm not a fan of this assumption and I recommend the OP not follow what it implies when selecting his firearm.

How about seven more are going to give you seven more chances to incapacitate the threat. Whether you missed completely, missed vital organs or they were stopped by armor, barrier, etc.. The fact is you have more chances to hit the right spot to incapacitate the threat. How about multiple threats? No one is trying to be Rambo, but last I checked I don't get to choose my adversary or the number of them when they are trying to kill me.
cool.gif

if you have gotten urself into a situation where you are being attacked by eleven people only having ten rounds in your magazine is the least of your worries. perhaps you should have brought your rifle. if youve missed ten times where did the bullets go. all im saying is everyone gets caught up in the high capacity magazine craze and its a shame to ignore the 1911 as a first gun because they are easily learned easily upgraded and work well for most people who shoot them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can get an m&p with a safety </div></div>

I just found that out. I got to dry fire a m&p and a glock 22 alot today. I like the m&p trigger better that I thought I did.

I could definitely live with a 9mm m&p with a thumb safety.

Go for it. They're fine weapons. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can get an m&p with a safety </div></div>

I just found that out. I got to dry fire a m&p and a glock 22 alot today. I like the m&p trigger better that I thought I did.

I could definitely live with a 9mm m&p with a thumb safety. </div></div>

Both Glocks and M&Ps have aftermarket triggers available that will significantly improve the trigger pull. I have a Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger connector in my Glock that has significantly improved the pull. A retired officer that I know has an aftermarket trigger in his M&P with the same effect.

Again, I'm sure there are cyber lawyers that will educate you in pseudo-case law but the facts as I see them are, I customized my gun to assist me in quickly putting rounds on target. Whether its a short 4lb 1911 SA pull or a long 4lb Glock pull, if I'm justified to incapacitate someone with deadly force, how I get there is moot.

(BTW, Glock sells their own version of these on their website just in case you aren't comfortable using non-OEM parts, but if you go the Ghost route, you can completely eliminate the over-travel of your trigger.)

Whats wrong with have only having 10 rounds ? exactly who do you think you are going to get in fight with ? You should always have a spare mag with any auto .

Don't discount the 1911 it is one of the best fighting guns around and they are fun to shoot as well they also conceal well .

If you are worried about armour or barriers have a look at the 38Super....125gr's at around 1400fps is nothing to be sneezed at .

Just get a 1911 you will not regret it .

apex makes an awesome trigger kit for the m&p. they are great guns i own 1 in a 40. ive loaned it to 3 people for idpa matches and they all bought 1 if that says anything

A Glock with a glocktriggers.com Edge trigger using a standard striker spring with a few coils removed seems to put short reset and decent non smushy feel into a Glock without a lot of trigger weight.

Glocks with night sights are cheap.

1911's are great... when they cost $2100 and say Les Baer on the side- the budget 1911's don't hold a candle to them. So I'd say on a budget stick with Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats wrong with have only having 10 rounds ? exactly who do you think you are going to get in fight with ? You should always have a spare mag with any auto .

Don't discount the 1911 it is one of the best fighting guns around and they are fun to shoot as well they also conceal well .

If you are worried about armour or barriers have a look at the 38Super....125gr's at around 1400fps is nothing to be sneezed at .

Just get a 1911 you will not regret it .

</div></div>

Again, I don't think the OP wanted this thread to go into a debate over mag capacity so I'll keep relatively brief. I don't discount the 1911 or a revolver, etc... They have their purpose and their limitations. I carry a PM9 when the situation dictates. I owned a nice 1911 and loved it, but it wasn't the right fit for me to carry.

The simple fact is, all things equal, more is better. If a manufacture figured out a way to produce your favorite gun with 100 round capacity without any difference in weight, size, etc... then why would anyone choose the firearm with lower capacity? Everything is a compromise in choosing what works for you. I choose mag capacity as a significant factor in my decision, that may not be an important factor for others. But to argue against mag capacity and to de-value it with statements like "if you can't get it done..." then why not just limit firearms to 1 bullet? We can pretend and theorize all day long but there are realities, very scary and unfortunate realities, that people miss, criminals often work in pairs and the magic bullet doesn't always incapacitate immediately. Given that there are so many possible variables that can go wrong when we step out of these fantasy scenarios and enter reality, I want the firearm that gives me the most chances to live.

Regarding reloading, this is a training issue that must be mastered. Even if you are as proficient as Jerry Miculek, when you are reloading, you are not putting rounds on target. All things equal, if we had a choice between a gun that never needed to be reloaded and the same gun that needed it often, I'd like to hear a sensible argument why someone would choose the latter.

Sounds like you want a hi power or CZ-75 single action.

I don't carry anything that isn't a single stack except for a revolver. I only carry a spare mag about half the time. Call me what you will...I highly doubt it'll ever make a difference. I can't wear my whole USPSA rig to go to the store.

Reloading is definitely a disadvantage, but I'd much rather shoot a single stack and I shoot them better and straighter, and that's worth way more than any amount of capacity to me.