• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Long range Lefty bolt gun

Sal Impellizzeri

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2023
West Virginia
Hey there new to this forum I’ve been recently pushing my AR10 out to 1000yards and I love it but I’m in the market for a bolt action rifle something in the range of a tikka or bergara b14 hmr as these are the only rifles I really see that have left handed options. A few things I was wondering

Does the tikka stainless varmint have a pretty heavy barrel?

Should I just buy a tikka action (ahopefully could find a barreled action) since I’m most likely going to drop it in a chassis

What is the significance of the 70 degrees vs 90 I really hate heavy bolt lift

I’d like to go with the bergara but the smoothness of the tikka is intriguing to me

Also where in the world can I find a left handed barreled action

Thank you in advance!

You're going to have more options for things like chassis' with the Bergara's 700 footprint. While they do make chassis' for the Tikka, less manufacturers make them for left handed actions.

As a fellow lefty, welcome to the pain of sourcing quality stuff for LH shooting. If it was me, and I was trying to stay in the Bergara / Tikka budget, I'd go Bergara just so I had more options for aftermarket stuff. The Bergara is a great rifle, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

If you just want a barreled action, you're going to have to go with a custom action. That opens you up to a whole new world of possibilities, but it's also a waiting game, as most of the custom actions in LH are either out of stock, or machined to order. I have had a whale of a time trying to track down an action recently. You could also check the PX for a used custom action, which may be a great option.

You're going to have more options for things like chassis' with the Bergara's 700 footprint. While they do make chassis' for the Tikka, less manufacturers make them for left handed actions.

As a fellow lefty, welcome to the pain of sourcing quality stuff for LH shooting. If it was me, and I was trying to stay in the Bergara / Tikka budget, I'd go Bergara just so I had more options for aftermarket stuff. The Bergara is a great rifle, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

If you just want a barreled action, you're going to have to go with a custom action. That opens you up to a whole new world of possibilities, but it's also a waiting game, as most of the custom actions in LH are either out of stock, or machined to order. I have had a whale of a time trying to track down an action recently. You could also check the PX for a used custom action, which may be a great option.
Yes I’ve found a few tikka actions but all out of stock… and I’m not much of a waiter. What honestly I was thinking is just buying a tikka varmint SS ditching the stock and taking the L and throwing it in a MDT XRS that comes lefty. But of course tikka varmint SS doesn’t come with a threaded barrel from what I can see so Bergara might have to be the route just really really love the Tikka action I’ve handled a few bergaras and tikka’s and it’s something special

Not exactly what you’re looking for but in stock and available.

Hey there new to this forum I’ve been recently pushing my AR10 out to 1000yards and I love it but I’m in the market for a bolt action rifle something in the range of a tikka or bergara b14 hmr as these are the only rifles I really see that have left handed options. A few things I was wondering

Does the tikka stainless varmint have a pretty heavy barrel?

Should I just buy a tikka action (ahopefully could find a barreled action) since I’m most likely going to drop it in a chassis

What is the significance of the 70 degrees vs 90 I really hate heavy bolt lift

I’d like to go with the bergara but the smoothness of the tikka is intriguing to me

Also where in the world can I find a left handed barreled action

Thank you in advance!
I have 2 tikka lefties. 7mm RemMag T3x Lite and 6.5 Creed T3x Tac A1.

After about 1200-1300 rounds of 7mm RemMag, that T3x Lite is still sub MOA with my 3000fps 168 Berger Classic Hunter loads.

If you just want something out of the box, mount glass, and pull trigger, you can't go wrong with the Tikka TAC series. I hate heavy bolt lift and I am able to lift the bolt on my lefty TAC with just two fingers. SMoooooooooooth..

Yes I’ve found a few tikka actions but all out of stock… and I’m not much of a waiter. What honestly I was thinking is just buying a tikka varmint SS ditching the stock and taking the L and throwing it in a MDT XRS that comes lefty. But of course tikka varmint SS doesn’t come with a threaded barrel from what I can see so Bergara might have to be the route just really really love the Tikka action I’ve handled a few bergaras and tikka’s and it’s something special
If you get the tikka varmint just send it off to @LongRifles Inc. They do good threads and pretty quick. My lite got sent off Thunderbeast cause it is so small.

This is my Tikka lite in a KRG whiskey 3. Did the lefty conversion on the chassis. Just the bolt cutout.
20220705_222415.jpg

Xrs chassis is nice looking. Got one on black Friday for my future Tikka t1x.

If you just want something out of the box, mount glass, and pull trigger, you can't go wrong with the Tikka TAC series. I hate heavy bolt lift and I am able to lift the bolt on my lefty TAC with just two fingers. SMoooooooooooth..
Isn’t the TAC barrel super skinny or is it a heavier contour barrel

Isn’t the TAC barrel super skinny or is it a heavier contour barrel
Ctr and tac have same profile. Varmint is slightly heavier. Hunter and lite are skinnier.

A quick read on tikkas that I put together a few years ago. Chassis options have improved since.

Reactions: Sal Impellizzeri
Ctr and tac have same profile. Varmint is slightly heavier. Hunter and lite are skinnier.

A quick read on tikkas that I put together a few years ago. Chassis options have improved since.
Interesting I just personally don’t like that chassis on the tac I like the mdt XRS style or the krg bravo but I may have to change my mind

If you get the tikka varmint just send it off to @LongRifles Inc. They do good threads and pretty quick. My lite got sent off Thunderbeast cause it is so small.

This is my Tikka lite in a KRG whiskey 3. Did the lefty conversion on the chassis. Just the bolt cutout.
View attachment 8055936

Xrs chassis is nice looking. Got one on black Friday for my future Tikka t1x.
How did you cut the bolt out? I saw the thread but was confused did you just use a drill press or?

How did you cut the bolt out? I saw the thread but was confused did you just use a drill press or?
I used a die grinder with a deburring bit. A dremel would work as well.

Attachments

• 20221027_135833.jpg
    20221027_135833.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20221204_205929.jpg
    20221204_205929.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 37
I used a die grinder with a deburring bit. A dremel would work as well.
I thought of mentioning that but considered all of the dremel gunsmith builds and figured hand tools have less chance of messing it up. If he had a mill and the skills to use it he likely wouldn't have asked the question.

Reactions: Sal Impellizzeri