• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First long range scope purchase.Would like help choosing..

btstrohfus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2017
Ive been looking at FFP scopes for a while, but need help from your experience.

All scopes are new and mil/mil...
Vortex Gen1 razor 5-20x50 $1300..
Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 $1530-$1600...
Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56 $1600...

Would also consider the Gen2 razor, but would like to spend sub $2000 or less.. If you know anything else in a FFP that fits in the price range with a good track record and warranty i would like to know.. thanks

SWFA 5-20 HD is another good option.

If my budget could afford it, I think the Steiner seems to get the best reviews of the bunch for overall package in terms of weight, performance, and features. At least of the ones you listed.

This might just be me, but if I'm spending $1k+, I'm probably not going to consider a manufacturer that makes 90%+ of their scopes in China (or so I've heard that everything other than the Cronus line is made there). I'm sure the Cronus is nice, but to me it just feels like you're comparing a Corvette ZR1, a Porsche, a Ferrari, and a Hyundai Genesis. I'm sure the Hyundai/Cronus is a fine choice, but it wouldn't be part of my decision-making process at the budget point that includes those type of other options.

Disclaimer: this is JMHO, I have never seen a Cronus in person, and I have nothing against Athlon. It's just an opinion.

We have Steiner Optics​ T5XI 5-25x56 SCR Riflescope Blems in stock for $1,540.00 which is a $459.99 savings! These models have small shiny spots on the objective bell that do not affect the performance of the scope. Feel free to call us at 916.670.1103 or look here: http://bit.ly/2BrT5qv

New or used 3.5-21 Bushnell ERS, used DMR or new DMR-ii, Burris XTR, XRS, US Optics used..you're in a nice enough price range to have a good set of options below or at $2K.

If possible, take a look at all of the various reticles and decide on dial vs hold preferences, see if any of the reticles call to you as in general most of the > $1K optics are pretty solid.

I've got a Steiner M5xi 5-25 on the EE in your price range - PM me if you're interested. It's significantly better than the t5xi IMO

Reactions: LG65CM
Personally, I'd go with the Bushnell DMR2. 21x top end, solid glass, damn near bomb-proof, and a great warranty.

Before you decide call several hide vendors and Europotic to ask them what the best price they can do on the GenII razor.

I purchased the Gen2 PST 5x25 from optics planet when they had their Black Friday sale, but they pushed back delivery, now im looking for perhaps a higher tier optic. the pst was going on my hunting/coyote gun, it was more than i needed anyway, so ill get something less expensive for that and put the difference towards a higher end optic.

How do you put out an ad for venders to get ahold of you on their best prices on the optics i mentioned, and other FFP scopes in that range...thanks

My advice would be look in the PX, you can get like new scopes there for really good deals... You can get gen2 Razors for under 2k there that are like new and they are tanks.... Just gotta be patient and watch for them...

I've had great experience with my US Optics B-25. Other good long distance scopes I have seen are the Nightforce ATACR, S&B PMII, IOR Valdada, and Kahles.
Good scopes are not cheap. For a new, good variable powered scope, you will need to pay $2,500 or more plus money for a mount/rings.

Ive been looking at FFP scopes for a while, but need help from your experience.

All scopes are new and mil/mil...
Vortex Gen1 razor 5-20x50 $1300..
Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 $1530-$1600...
Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56 $1600...

Would also consider the Gen2 razor, but would like to spend sub $2000 or less.. If you know anything else in a FFP that fits in the price range with a good track record and warranty i would like to know.. thanks

What kind of shooting are you going to do?

Is this on a PRS, dedicated long range, hunting, do-all gun?

How much experience do you have with long range shooting?

What are your top priorities in the scope? Is weight a factor?

You need to provide at least some basic info to get a good reco.

It’s going to attempt long range shooting this summer, I have a kilo2200mr, nice spotter, just need good glass without going overboard. I want something of quality right from the get go. I figure that way I won’t have to upgrade later, start out with good products. This will also be used for hunting I suppose, but not rugged hunting by any means.

Going on a 6.5 or 6mm creedmoor,Im getting into reloading , I have the land to set up targets just shy of a mile..

No matter what you buy you’ll be looking at an upgrade at some point, it’s addicting, haha. I’ve run the range from budget options to higher end. If I could do it over again I would have started somewhere around the $1k offerings. Was never happy with the sub $1k scopes and going above $1,500 you seem to get into minor differences for a lot more money YMMV.

Look at the Bushnell LRTS or LRHS. It’s going to cost you less and you get a lot of scope for your money. Plenty to get into the sport and be happy for a few years while you learn. Spend the extra on ammo. Wish I had done this.

On on the upper end of your budget I’ve enjoyed the Vortex AMG for a crossover precision and hunting rig. It’s a nice optic. Worth the additional $1k nice? That’s subjective.

The Cronus BTR is a killer scope! Daylite bright illume, 25Y close focus, superior reticle, 29x on top, and in a compact package. I like mine almost as much as my S&B's !

I've owned a G1R and spent some time with a 5-25 Steiner. IMO they fall behind the Cronus BTR in various ways, especially in the glass.

I will second what rerun is stating, once you start into these kinds of optics, it's addicting and you will always have that curiosity of the one you didn't buy... I also like my AMG as a crossover optic, the glass is great in mine and the locking turrets are a great addition to any hunting optic.. I also really like my NF 4-16F1, another nice crossover optic in my opinion... I do hate to beat this to death, you can snag up some really nice high end optics here in the PX at really good prices as well, and our Vendors here like CSTactical are top notch as well....

Conus all day long and twice on sunday!!! I've owned one in the past and regret selling/trading it off. I've owned a Gen 2 razor before buying a Cronus and the value side of the equation is what is pulling me back to a BTR Moa Bronze colored one. I just wish they would release a Center dot reticle like everyone else.

We have Steiner Optics​ T5XI 5-25x56 SCR Riflescope Blems in stock for $1,540.00 which is a $459.99 savings! These models have small shiny spots on the objective bell that do not affect the performance of the scope. Feel free to call us at 916.670.1103 or look here: http://bit.ly/2BrT5qv

That's a pretty damn good price on those guys. How many do you have in sock? I think i want one, but may need to wait until after the holidays

If you're going to spend that much on an optic I strongly suggest you just buy the Vortex Gen 2. You can frequently find guys selling them on here LNIB or BNIB for $1800-$2000. The resale value is also very strong so if you find that its too much scope or you dont want to keep shooting it'll sell quick and you wont really lose much money if you take care of it.

so i got a few really good prices for the BTR, Gen2 razor,T5Xi, and i see that there are S&Bs for sale for about $100 more than the Razor Gen2 4.5-27.. i feel like the btr is the best bang for the buck, but if a guy was to spend enough for the razor, would he be insane not the get the S&B PMII for an extra $100-200???

The athlon cronus btr is a great scope for the money. I have one and have a vortex razor hd amg as well and for 700 bucks less the Cronus btr doesn’t disappoint.

im trying to decide if i should now cancel my order for the PST GEN2 5-25x50 ebr-2c.. i think i got a good deal on it $945 with a free Strikefire 2 included.. But im wondering what other FFp scopes out there have better glass and mechanical features for the money. this will be going on our coyote/ deer/ wifes gun.. For less money, thanks

so i got a few really good prices for the BTR, Gen2 razor,T5Xi, and i see that there are S&Bs for sale for about $100 more than the Razor Gen2 4.5-27.. i feel like the btr is the best bang for the buck, but if a guy was to spend enough for the razor, would he be insane not the get the S&B PMII for an extra $100-200???

The S&B is hard to beat, except for one thing, the reticle offerings could be better IMO. I prefer the H59 and that ups the price of course. If you are unsure at this point what you like and don't like right now as far as reticles go then it probably won't matter.

That reticle in the Cronus BTR is one of the best tree reticles out there. Look below the horizontal crosshair and next to the vertical crosshair, notice there are no mil or moa numbers in the way of holdoffs, like there are on many reticles. Also notice each line is numbered off to the side. That makes for a clean tree reticle. For holding over and off, which is why there are tree reticles, this one rocks!

I have been running and competing with Gen 2 razor for couple years now with good success. Very solid scope, the turret layout is a huge plus for me. It allows for quick dialing without the worry of being a tick or 2 off because the tight tick marks. I have gotten behind a few S&B and I just don't like the turret layout IMHO. But really comes down to user prefer.

I am no expert and was in your situation not all that long ago. I'd suggest that you make a list of features you want in your scope. Starting with good clear glass. For other examples: type of reticle, do you want a scope in mils or MOAs, straight power or vari power scope and what power(s), illuminated reticle or no. Type of rings or mount. You probably have an idea of how much you would like to spend, but count on spending more.

There are so many great choices on the market these days. Take your time and do your homework and you'll find the right scope for You. Good luck. Oh, and have fun!

I just had this same thread, check my post, had many of the same options to choose from. I found a good price on the SWFA 5-20 HD. Took it out to some farmland and was reading signs and plates on the work trucks from 800 to 1300 yards. Very impressed at the price point. Didn't get a chance to see the Cronus but I have several vortex optics and they are all good to go.

I am going to give you my 2 cents for what it is worth. "Buy exactly what you want the first time because in the long run you will waste money trying to get there."

Lets say you " settle " for a scope because as we all have, you buy a sweet ass rig that you just have to go shoot right away. Well crap, you just blew all your funds on this new rifle and have just enough left over to get a "scope". You look under a few rocks in the back yard, grab your stash from the sock drawer and order a scope that will allow you to shoot this sweet rifle. Heck you even have a ton of " spare" rings from all the other times you have done this. One day you get home from work after tracking that package to death and there it is on the porch. The scope has come! Your happy as a clam. You mount the scope careful to get the cross hair lined up just right. You even go as far as trying to bore sight the rifle at home on the dining room table using a light post down the road as reference. It's the big day, you head on down to the range. You Zero the rifle after a few shots. You then turn you elevation knob and the knobs are soft and squishy feeling as they turn, the clicks are not very defined and you say, "man I wish I had bought " dream scope"! (Been there several times over the past 26 years of shooting.) Now your wheels are really turning and over the next couple months of shooting you realize you made a big mistake. You are fed up so you go home and open up the safe to see what you can sell to get the funds for the scope you really wanted( or should have bought in the first place). You post a few items up for sale so you can get the funds to get that dream scope all the while offloading some really nice stuff that you did not want to take a loss on or really, never get rid of cause you did not take the plunge on the purchase the first time. Gotta end... but you get the picture.

I am no rich man by any means so I get it! If you can make it happen, try real hard here , buy what you want first because selling used scopes that are not tier 1 is just a loss of cash and who can afford that?

Reactions: LG65CM
I am going to give you my 2 cents for what it is worth. "Buy exactly what you want the first time because in the long run you will waste money trying to get there."

Lets say you " settle " for a scope because as we all have, you buy a sweet ass rig that you just have to go shoot right away. Well crap, you just blew all your funds on this new rifle and have just enough left over to get a "scope". You look under a few rocks in the back yard, grab your stash from the sock drawer and order a scope that will allow you to shoot this sweet rifle. Heck you even have a ton of " spare" rings from all the other times you have done this. One day you get home from work after tracking that package to death and there it is on the porch. The scope has come! Your happy as a clam. You mount the scope careful to get the cross hair lined up just right. You even go as far as trying to bore sight the rifle at home on the dining room table using a light post down the road as reference. It's the big day, you head on down to the range. You Zero the rifle after a few shots. You then turn you elevation knob and the knobs are soft and squishy feeling as they turn, the clicks are not very defined and you say, "man I wish I had bought " dream scope"! (Been there several times over the past 26 years of shooting.) Now your wheels are really turning and over the next couple months of shooting you realize you made a big mistake. You are fed up so you go home and open up the safe to see what you can sell to get the funds for the scope you really wanted( or should have bought in the first place). You post a few items up for sale so you can get the funds to get that dream scope all the while offloading some really nice stuff that you did not want to take a loss on or really, never get rid of cause you did not take the plunge on the purchase the first time. Gotta end... but you get the picture.

I am no rich man by any means so I get it! If you can make it happen, try real hard here , buy what you want first because selling used scopes that are not tier 1 is just a loss of cash and who can afford that?
Personally, I've never understood this mentality. No offense at all, but everything is a compromise of some sort. You just have to figure out what you're willing to compromise on: glass, turrets, reticle, price, etc. Unless you like the GenIIXR, I don't know of many people who don't feel like every scope compromises on something. According to people who have actually used them, every scope but the TT is a compromise on turrets and most other than the TT are a compromise on glass. The TT is a compromise on reticle and price. The question is what that compromise means to you. And to most of us, the compromise doesn't mean much.

After much reading here, I thought I was compromising and making a mistake getting an SWFA HD 5-20. I've been shooting it for awhile now and couldn't be happier. Would I have spent more if money was no object? Of course. But that's not a compromise I was willing to make. You don't have to have your "dream toy" to be happy and enjoy your hobby, while keeping the wife happy and the bills in check.