• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First look at my new drop-in bullpup chassis

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
Subject to minor changes...this will be dropping at SHOT 2019. It's been a long time in the making, and has come a long ways from the design my partner and I came up with as undergrads! Look forward to hearing your thoughts. For sure changes will be a bit of modification to the shape of the barricade stop at front of trigger guard, and there will be an Arca rail milled into the forend, forend will be available in different lengths. 24" (or 26"?) no contour barrel in pic. 16" will place a threaded barrel just past the forend pictured. Need to put some flush cups near recoil pad, then another can be attached via MLOK.

Main points:

-uses a custom Timney Calvin Elite trigger, hooks into a linkage of our design. Safety is relocated to front of trigger guard

-lots of adjustability, mlok slots for attachments of your choice

-AICS mags

-should be >5lbs

-will fit no contour barrels, and barrel nuts, it's perfect for a switchbarrel w/ barrel nut setup

left profile.JPG

Will a 16" barrel meet 26" OAL? Looks much nicer than the first revision.

Completely agree. The first couple of versions were pretty rough, but you guys seem to have done an amazing job developing this thing to where it stands today. Great Job!

Nice work!

Need to see how it looks on the bolt handle side?

it looks how you would expect. we had a bolt extension for the previous gen, but for this one i'm thinking custom PTG bolt with an extension that are both made for each other. you CAN work the bolt without breaking position if you aren't fat. but it's definitely not as quick or ergonomic. but, you probably aren't running a precision bolt gun if speed is your goal. with the extension its similar to a desert tech.

it looks how you would expect. we had a bolt extension for the previous gen, but for this one i'm thinking custom PTG bolt with an extension that are both made for each other. you CAN work the bolt without breaking position if you aren't fat. but it's definitely not as quick or ergonomic. but, you probably aren't running a precision bolt gun if speed is your goal. with the extension its similar to a desert tech.

Will the Cheek Rest be attached/supported on both sides? Not sure if you could do that on the other side with the bolt being run there?

I have seen a lot of stock designs where the cheek rest was supported on just one side, and they had a fair amount of play/movement in them.

Will the Cheek Rest be attached/supported on both sides? Not sure if you could do that on the other side with the bolt being run there?

I have seen a lot of stock designs where the cheek rest was supported on just one side, and they had a fair amount of play/movement in them.

The cheekpiece can be bolted to either side, and it also takes left or right handed actions. There is no play in the cheekpiece, it's a fairly stout piece of aluminum with two bolts holding it in to redirect any stray gas from non-catastrophic mistakes.

Looks like a more vertical grip might be better given the close proximity to the magazine and that angled grip. Magazines changes would be easier with more clearance.

I like the concept. Look forward to touching it at SHOT

Reactions: Fig
Oh I completely agree on the grip, but that A2 grip file was available online...we ship with a more vertical one. I have an MDT on the way to try out.

First field test was a success, no big bucks unfortunately. You'll note some black parts that were printed after finding some small changes to make. Below is a rendering of what should be the final form!

swspLaa.jpg

OFTM8Gr.jpg

Reactions: 10ring1 and Bender
I like it!
A bullpup has been on my "list" for years, and this looks better than anything I've seen since an article in Gun Digest 1988.

Made for Remington actions, I'm sure. Any thoughts on others, like Tikka?

Reactions: ThePretzel and 0dd
i was planning a idea once i receive my DT covert in a few days, ill try to explain.

some people have issues with a bullpup is the bolt is all the way "back there" and it doesnt feel natural etc.
i was going to mount a bracket with a bushing on the top or side rail near the scope/action area on a traditional rifle.
id place a rod with a bolt knob through the bushing and have a clamp on back end of the shaft.
the clamp would attach to the actual bolt in the bullpup configuration, in theory moving the bolt knob from under your cheek to above the trigger "where it belongs".

like most ideas might just be a solution where there isnt a problem, but i though it would be fun to play with.

leverage shouldnt be a problem if the mounts are sell made and squared up.
might even work for weak side shooting,possible the factory bolt knob can be removed in total.
now you just have to loose a cheek weld (for the ejection) and still cycle with your right hand.

That forward bolt extension thing is something MK Machine did on this chassis. I have a feeling that if you do that for a Desert Tech, you will just introduce a bunch of bolt bind.

MK Machine facebook page has a photo of a Blue Mountain Precision build that shows a forward extension attached to the bolt handle. I just wonder if it is a solution to insufficient arm mobility, or a potential problem spot.

How is the trigger linkage arranged?
I mentioned a 1988 article and there the guy used an electronic trigger because he thought a linkage around the magazine (in a wooden stock) would be a problem.

I like the perfectly straight frame. The first pic in the first post looks good, but I didn’t like the droopy butt.

The newest pic looks great. How was the trigger feel? Any creep? Does the linkage add any trigger weight? @Tyler Kemp
Thanks

The trigger is great. Linkage is solid with no creep, it actually reduces pull weight. Can go down to about 3oz and crisp, but you can make the weight of the linkage set it off at that weight, so about 8oz is suggested.

We have a bolt extension from our previous version, works great but I'm not a fan aesthetically. You can work the bolt easily and keep your head down with the extension, it is doable but not optimal without the extension, certainly not something you want for a quick followup.

Here's my thought on the bolt position, and eventually my end goal is to make my own rifle that mitigates that, but for now:

1) I don't want a bolt action for quick followups, really at this point they aren't even that much more precision than a semi-auto, but I prefer the feel, loading for a bolt gun, etc vs a semi

2) I REALLY don't want a bullpup bolt action for quick followups. So where does it excel?

3) Balance is fantastic, ergonomics are pretty good, trigger is great, it's COMPACT. If I shoot at a deer 500+ yards it's either going to run quickly, or stand still. I'll either have the extra second to work the bolt or it'll be running and I'm never shooting at running game that far. Unless maybe it's the 30 point buck.

Will these come for other actions? That's the plan, and everything is modular for that reason. But the linkage has to be revised for every action, and for some I have no clue how you'd reposition the safety. And screw a safety under your ear, that's an ergonomic difficulty too far.

Actually, other people's worrying about trigger linkages had made me think that a bullpup would be nice even as a single shot. At least that should simplify the linkage. I think....

"about 8oz (trigger) is suggested". That's about 227 grams. Sounds lighter than I'd be comfortable with - without a good bit of practice.

My only suggestion would be to make a spot for a monopod that is unobtrusive. In the above pic, I don’t see anywhere on that butt that wouldn’t be an obstruction.

My only suggestion would be to make a spot for a monopod that is unobtrusive. In the above pic, I don’t see anywhere on that butt that wouldn’t be an obstruction.

I'll take that "bag rider" over a monopod any day. Other than at the range, I dont really think adjusting and tweaking a rear monopod is very practical.

I'm sure he could replace the bag rider with a monopod attachment though.

It has mlok on the bottom of the bag rider for attaching something. Right now, as a very small business this shit is EXPENSIVE and having multiple buttstocks isn't economically feasible at this point. Again, it's super modular so anything is possible with orders rolling.

The trigger is adjustable via the standard Calvin Elite adjustments. You don't gotta have it light, but for precision work I prefer 8oz or less.

Reactions: perttime
Any idea what the price point may be?
$1999.99 w/ a custom Timney Calvin Elite and scope rail. Expensive, but way more complex than a standard chassis, plus you get a badass trigger and scope mount included! I'm certain my margins aren't what those on other pricey chassis are....

It has mlok on the bottom of the bag rider for attaching something. Right now, as a very small business this shit is EXPENSIVE and having multiple buttstocks isn't economically feasible at this point. Again, it's super modular so anything is possible with orders rolling.

The trigger is adjustable via the standard Calvin Elite adjustments. You don't gotta have it light, but for precision work I prefer 8oz or less.

i remember seeing that one, seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.
just a big long lever waiting or bend, get caught on stuff or flex.

same idea though, but mine is better "LOL".
as for the DT, this is my first one (a AI guy) so i guess i have a learning curve on their bolt manipulation.

It isn't exactly cheap. But options are a bit limited if you want a bullpup. This looks better than any other sort-of-off-the-shelf bullpup offering now.

My cost would include whatever it takes to export and import it. Unfortunately, the funding isn't in my pockets now - which could change.

This one has a bolt extension on it. You can keep your head down fine, it feels about like a DT. Without the extension you have to be able to touch your ear to work the bolt and keep your head down. It's certainly not meant for super fast followups without a bolt extension, but I usually don't run one. If I want another quick shot I'll take a semiauto.

I have a Tempest in 6.5 SAUM in another chassis, you can work the bolt more easily since it's a 60* throw, but I still wouldn't take it if I planned on needing a quick 2nd, or 3rd...or 4th shot haha.

I'm digging it. I wonder if something like this could be popular for PRS so that people can run something like a BR with a 30" barrel for extra weight and the extra speed it provides so they don't have to deal with the hassle of fireforming Dasher/BRA brass?

I think it would come down to how well it works really with the bolt extension most likely, or if people can run the bolt of a bullpup quickly enough (though there was one guy last year running a Desert Tech with decent success). At the very least it would make shooting through ports/cattle gates or running a suppressor a lot easier to manage.

The 16" looks like it needs a suppressor on it.
How hard would it be to get a bolt handle that bends forward, without having a joint in it?

The 16" looks like it needs a suppressor on it.
How hard would it be to get a bolt handle that bends forward, without having a joint in it?

That's why it's threaded ;)

It would probably be about a $500 option from PTG. Might go that route, but it is pricey unfortunately.

I'd be very interested to try the "extended" bolt, I wonder how it feels in comparison to a standard design. By far the best bullpup chassis design I've seen yet, should be an awesome SHOT show.

Reactions: perttime
LA coming....super late 2019/early 2020. Not much to change, just takes money.

As is, no the bolt can't be removed without removing recoil pad. That's about a 15 second operation, but I do plan on adding recoil pad height adjustment down the road in which case the answer is yes.