• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Mars Comp..... Any advice?

lycokayaker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2022
NJ
Hey Gang

Decided to jump in and try my first mars comp next weekend. Any advice or must have things that you recommend? Obviously declaring that its my first one, safety is priority, and going with an open mind. I have dope for 50 and 100 so anything out past that is going to be fun! I don't have any bags was going to just wing it first one and see what everyone else is running? Struggling to get last minute match ammo so going to run straight whatever is on the shelf by me.

Bill

Reactions: King_beardsly
OK, thanks. How is it different? Sure does seem to be a bunch of acronyms for shooting games out there.
It’s not much different other than being free for the clubs to track scores with MARS. There a a few small rules differences and mostly 90 sec par times depending on the MDs. It’s also an east coast only series. I would suggest going to the website and take a look for yourself.
https://modernamericanrimfireseries.com/

Reactions: Cowpokey and egd
My club hosts monthly MARS matches and it’s been a fun learning curve.
Necessities:
Gun, ammo, extra magazine if you have one, ear and eye protection, empty chamber indicator. Bipod.
Things to give you a chance:
On your phone download a weather app (I use “my radar”)
Download a ballistic app (I use “bullet drop”)
If you can, run some of your match day ammo over a chronograph while noting all the weather particulars.
Bring a bag of some type to use as a rifle rest. A rice filled sock will work.
Bring a notebook to write down your scope settings or hold-overs. Painter’s tape on your forearm, or a home made data card can make a big time saver in knowing what distance you need to dial or hold (usually multiple targets/distances).
Pay attention to the match director’s course of fire description/make a plan/and stick to it. Changing on the fly because you saw someone else do it differently usually backfires.
Concentrate on being safe above all, and you will have a fine time.

Biggest thing is have fun and enjoy the match, I started shooting them this year to get away from the stress of centerfire. I know with the one monthly match that’s part of MARS we are shooting out to 300-350 on relatively large targets but it’s still a crap shoot. Last match I did I ended up lending gear to people in my squad if needed, since it’s an expensive pet of the sport if your not sure you want to commit a hundred percent.

The MARS matches I've shot have been fun. It's more fun when you hit more targets, but if you go into the match with the knowledge that you ARE a n00b, it helps.

Your squadmates *should* be like the proverbial pusher man: they'll lend you whatever you need and help out with data if you don't have it.

Couple things I've learned in the 6mos or so I've been shooting
  • watch what the experienced guys in front of you are doing. They've been shooting longer than you have and what they're doing works
  • bags do indeed help. Took me a while to figure that one out 'cause I'm stubborn. Try different sizes, fills, etc to see what you like. (see comment above about squadmates being the pusherman)
  • don't do anything before your RO says to do it: load and make ready, unload and show clear, etc
  • figure out where you are in the rotation and be ready when it's your turn to shoot.
  • unless you're a fantastic shot, you're going to suck out loud at first. I'm a n0b that hadn't shot anything since basic. ...and it shows
  • a ballistic app like strelock is important. Gives you mostly accurate data on dialing for distances.
  • bring blue painter's tape and a marker for writing down holdovers/dials on multi target stages
I forget anything?

M

If you show up with nothing but a good attitude, water, sunblock, bud dope, and ammo (or offer to pay for ammo) you'll get taken care of.

Be observant, watch folks routines/rituals and ask questions.
Look for the three phases of shooters:
1. The new guy/gal that doesn't have much and asks lots of questions.
2. The not so new guy/gal that brings enough gear to outfit a sniper platoon.
3. The been around there guy/gal that got rid of most of that stuff and paired down to the essentials.

If you can figure out how to skip step two, congratulations! You just saved enough money for a top tier optic.

Either bring a set of binos, or look through someone's while another competitor is shooting to see what the targets look like through optics. There will probably be several sets of binos on tripods in any given squad. I found this super helpful.

The MARS matches I've shot have been fun. It's more fun when you hit more targets, but if you go into the match with the knowledge that you ARE a n00b, it helps.

Your squadmates *should* be like the proverbial pusher man: they'll lend you whatever you need and help out with data if you don't have it.

Couple things I've learned in the 6mos or so I've been shooting
  • watch what the experienced guys in front of you are doing. They've been shooting longer than you have and what they're doing works
  • bags do indeed help. Took me a while to figure that one out 'cause I'm stubborn. Try different sizes, fills, etc to see what you like. (see comment above about squadmates being the pusherman)
  • don't do anything before your RO says to do it: load and make ready, unload and show clear, etc
  • figure out where you are in the rotation and be ready when it's your turn to shoot.
  • unless you're a fantastic shot, you're going to suck out loud at first. I'm a n0b that hadn't shot anything since basic. ...and it shows
  • a ballistic app like strelock is important. Gives you mostly accurate data on dialing for distances.
  • bring blue painter's tape and a marker for writing down holdovers/dials on multi target stages
I forget anything?

M
I'd suggest something other than blue tape, can be hard to actually see what you wrote at times.

Either bring a set of binos, or look through someone's while another competitor is shooting to see what the targets look like through optics. There will probably be several sets of binos on tripods in any given squad. I found this super helpful.
This. ⬆️
I encourage folks to jump on my binos while I'm setting up for that or the next stage. Checking out others' glass will also help you define what your glass/tripod/etc. requirements will be. Maybe even help skip that expensive phase two.

If you show up with nothing but a good attitude, water, sunblock, bud dope, and ammo (or offer to pay for ammo) you'll get taken care of.

Be observant, watch folks routines/rituals and ask questions.
Look for the three phases of shooters:
1. The new guy/gal that doesn't have much and asks lots of questions.
2. The not so new guy/gal that brings enough gear to outfit a sniper platoon.
3. The been around there guy/gal that got rid of most of that stuff and paired down to the essentials.

If you can figure out how to skip step two, congratulations! You just saved enough money for a top tier optic.
I'm halfway out of stage 1 and figured out that a good scope means more hits. The 4-12 I started with was great to 100yds. Anything past that? I had to take a WAG and send it

Being able to dial is a very helpful thing

I'm trying to avoid stage 2 altogether. My natural tendency is to accumulate 'stuff' for my hobbies (s'why I have 14 bicycles) so I'm not real hopeful

M

I'm halfway out of stage 1 and figured out that a good scope means more hits. The 4-12 I started with was great to 100yds. Anything past that? I had to take a WAG and send it

Being able to dial is a very helpful thing

I'm trying to avoid stage 2 altogether. My natural tendency is to accumulate 'stuff' for my hobbies (s'why I have 14 bicycles) so I'm not real hopeful

M
I’d rather have a lesser gun with good glass than the other way around. Assuming solid DOPE on both.
In the end shoot a match with what you have and the best DOPE you can get before hand. You got to come shoot to figure out what you don’t know.

I’d rather have a lesser gun with good glass than the other way around. Assuming solid DOPE on both.
In the end shoot a match with what you have and the best DOPE you can get before hand. You got to come shoot to figure out what you don’t know.
exactly

How much more accurate than 'accurate enough' do you really need?

M

I'd suggest something other than blue tape, can be hard to actually see what you wrote at times.
Screenshot_20220607-133703_Amazon Shopping.jpg

My go to!!!

Reactions: obx22 and 6.5SH
I got some yellow painters tape at the local Lowe's. Yep, much easier to see than the blue stuff.
I need to get some of that for the dope card holder I made out of bicycle reflector parts.

Gotta love having a stash of random stuff floating around the garage

M

Found some green painter's tape at Lowes. Grabbed some white duct tape for an alternative for winter matches

M