• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First match and need help with set up

TexasMade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
Lubbock, TX
First match and ita going to consist of walking 2 miles. I ordered a tab biathlon sling. Do people use a backpack with this sling? How would you rig everything up? I guess I should carry water..rear bags..rangefinder..kestrel..etc.

I'm interested to see the comments on the Biathlon sling. Personally, I would use a pack with a rifle sheath. I'm running an Eberlestock X3 and I can pack all my shooting supplies, plus water, snacks, first aid, etc. I don't feel it much on my shoulders, more on my legs.

The TAB biathlon sling is great. I have carried my 16+ pound 7WSM for miles in the mountains of Utah, including up vertical rock faces, using that sling. If you will be carrying most of the things you need on a battle belt or light vest with camelback, then the sling to carry the rifle will work well and be lighter and less bulky than an Eberlestock.

However, if it will be a high round count match or has little in the way of support (ie no staged water jugs, faucets, options for return to your car), then the Eberlestock would be good to carry more water, ammo, and personal support items like first aid, etc. It is possible, but not really comfortable, to put a light pack on over the rifle slung with the biathlon. Added benefits of the pack is that you can use it for support if needed/allowed during various stages.

I use both methods depending on the match structure. I try not to bring a pack if I can help it unless it is a full day in the field with no support. My battle belt setup can get me through a solid half day in TX with about 80 rounds fired and enough water in the camelback.

Sean

water for sure. food for sure. Plan to be independent. Back pack is what I evolved to. That and a sling. I have a couple Mountain Shooters slings. Power bars or something and an apple. Carry what you will need. rig it up by putting everything together at home and think thru your stuff. and attend.

I suggest a belt with only items you need to shoot on it and a pack with everything else. You can set the pack down at each stage and still have what you need to shoot on you and ready to go.

Modular belt with 1 pistol mag, 2 double rifle mag holsters (I am assuming AI mags but you get the idea), IFAK (if needed, can take off), pouch for LRF and ranging materials, small dump pouch if desired (weighs nothing) and your sidearm.

This can then scale up to a small ruck (look at the Tactical Tailor removable operator pack) if you need hydration, tripod, more ammo capability, random shit.

I use a regular TAB sling with this setup.

ETA - Don't sweat the gear too much; make sure you have the minimum of what's needed and go. It'll change with you doing more matches. The #1 thing I've learned from both deployment as well as from when I used to do a lot of matches is something a lot of people don't think to practice and prep for and always leads to an oh shit moment. So you have the gear, you're set to go, you get to the stage/line/whatever and.......where is all of my shit I need right now and how do I get at it. LRF is in the ruck, I don't have a calculator/pencil/DA adjustment card/whatever I need right there....I can't get to it when sitting because I keep it in this BDU pocket that I'm sitting on! Shit, whats my come up for this range or down angle.....now I found it and I keep having to reference it and keep pulling my head of the stock, etc.

Practice after packing all your shit, get to your mock shooting 'stage', go prone/seated and figure out where you need your stuff and where its useless.

Last edited:
First match and ita going to consist of walking 2 miles. I ordered a tab biathlon sling. Do people use a backpack with this sling? How would you rig everything up? I guess I should carry water..rear bags..rangefinder..kestrel..etc.

Can you provide a bit more detail about the match? Pistol shooting too or just rifle? Movement timed? Do you stop at various points, shoot then move or do you ground gear and wait to shoot stages with your squad? Do you have to carry everything you need for the whole match or will you have the opportunity to resupply?

The TAB biathlon sling is a great piece of gear that May or may not be helpful to you in this match. Knowing more about the competition will enable folks to give you better advice. The last thing you'll want at a match with two miles of walking is a bunch of gear you don't need:)

Im shooting the NRA sporting rifle match at the Whittington center. 2 miles of easy trails. All prone except one stage I have to shoot off shooting sticks. I have a 19lb rifle and a backpack at moment. In the backpack I have the tripod..rear bags..kestrel..rangefinder..ammo..bout it.

You can definitely use a biathlon sling in conjunction with a backpack but it is rather cumbersome to take off/on/off/on/off/on during a match, especially under the stress of time. Lots of straps to deal with etc. That's why I asked if you need to stop at different stations along the way, shoot targets, then move on to the next station and repeat multiple times over the 2 miles. Also asked if the COF is timed. If so, efficient management of gear is important.

I assume the targets are UKD if you are carrying a range finder? You mention shooting sticks and are carrying a tripod. Either is OK per the match rules? Sticks are lighter and more handy to carry/use but a tripod with cradle is more stable.

Sorry, not trying to bust your balls with all these questions. I've just seen lots of shooters come to their first match with extra, unnecessary gear and struggle to manage it making the entire experience unpleasant. Remember, the mission (in this case, the match) drives the gear. Don't bring anything extra you don't need.

Based on what you've said about the match, I'd carry my rifle on a sturdy sling (not a biathlon sling) and put my gear in a small backpack. A 20lb rifle is not all that difficult to carry if you have a good sling. Attach your rear bag to your belt with something like a carabiner. Likewise carry your rangefinder and magazines in pouches on your belt. That way, when you get to your shooting positions, you can unsling your rifle and grab the gear you need off your belt without having to take your backpack off.

When you get to the shooting stick station, you can take off your backpack, retrieve your sticks/tripod and shoot. Put your backpack in your lap to stabilize your position.

Whatever you do, practice with all your gear before the match. Believe me, I've learned all this the hard way:) Good luck!

That's a known distance event, no need to carry a RF. I haven't made it down there this year but in the past it's always been a no tripod event. Check on that and take sticks if that still stands. You will need water and some light snacks but it's a relatively leisurely match. It's probably one of the most enjoyable matches in my opinion and is a GREAT match for newcomers. I'd say take a small back pack to hold water, snacks, ammo, rear bag, sticks(or tripod), binoculars and a kestrel.

Send a note to Rob01 for advice. In my estimation, Rob is the most efficient shooter with whom I have shot. While I am far from an expert, I patterned my gear selection and prep following his example of less is more. Personally, I would never carry a pack or biathlon sling. Regular old tab mounted left side carried cross chest muzzle down (provided you are not too short and the barrel too long). Belt or vest with minimal extraneous crap for the rest.