• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First OCW test Rem 700P

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I went out a few days ago and did my first OCW test. Hoping on some opinions and suggestions.

Gun
Rem 700P
Jewell trigger
Ferrel 20 MOA base
NF 5.5-22x56 NXS
Harris bipod
Tacticals
IMG_7474.jpg

Loads
175 SMK
Hodgdon Varget
OAL-2.800

Weather
Wind was gusting 7-15mph from 90
Snowing
Overcast
1:30PM

Groups
100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

100_0308.jpg

100_0309.jpg

100_0311.jpg

100_0312.jpg

100_0313.jpg

100_0314.jpg

The area of 42.6-42.9gr looks like a sweet spot what would you suggest I do from there? Also I'm looking at an area between 2600-2650fps. Would this low of grains of Varget get me there?

Re: First OCW test Rem 700P

ok im not a OCW guru...

first you should have same targets to aim at. if you're going to compare apples to apples

"Be sure targets are identical, and level" (dan newberry)

second it would help if you triangulated center and measurements to poa

also i like load more of a range to see where loads fall apart, on both side on node

while dan suggests 100y i think greater distances make measurements easier

how do you triangulate the center of group. mathematically not eyeballing it?

like anything there is also human error, primarily can the stick holder maintain any consistency from shot to shot?

can you post consistent groups?

to factor in above human factor i like to see multiple results from same test...... "repeatability" in other words shoot OCW a few more times then compare results. if you see a trend then its better results

also the sweet spot "NODE" is determined from 3 loads not 2.

sorry for not being so helpful. im re doing OCW and trying to be technically sound as possible. (aka anal)

some one should post that program that does the calculations of shot group from pic or scan.

Thanks for the info. I guess I made this one quick and easy due to the weather condition. That would be the best thing to do to create it as sound as possible. Looks like I'll have to reread the OCW test to get it perfect.

One sick looking rifle
smile.gif
however gonna look weird with your new McM stock coming... haha

Functionallity over comsetics....

I've done a bunch of the OCW type tests, and they work.

What cases and primers are you using? Varget and RL15 have nodes at similar ranges; 43-43.5 grains is a pretty common load with both powders, and I've seen lots of people happy with 44-45 grains in Lapua and Winchester cases. Looks like you're on to something there in the 42.6 grain range; the 175 grain FGMM loads have 42.5 grains of what looks and measures just like RL15. Might be the ticket where you're at. Vertical dispersion is more important than horizontal.

If it was me, and I was set with the velocity at that range, I would try from 42.4 - 42.8 in .1 grain increments at 200-300 yards to see where the vertical grouping is most stable. Then I would probably fiddle with the seating depth.

I guess I forgot to put in the brass make. It is Winchester with Fed 210's. Doing the best I can to imitate the FGMM ammo with 175's. With the 26" barrel could I be hitting the 2600fps mark with only 42.5gr of Varget?

Good question. I got an average of 2,410 fps with 42.8 of Varget from an OCW test that I botched in June, but that was with a 20" barreled AR.

I shoot a 155 grain hand load with 45.2 grains of RL15 and get 2,668 fps on average, while a friend of mine shoots the same bullets through his 26" Rem 700 with 2,840 fps average using 44 grains of RL15. The only way to tell for sure is to clock them with a chrono.

Sadly the only way I can get the information would be chrony it like you said. I'm hoping that I'm at the 2600fps. I won't be able to find out until then.

try reloading more rounds of 42.8, 43.0, and 43.3. that should put you in the 2600 fps range.

I normally load 10-15 rounds when narrowing down to find my accuracy node. This way I have 3 strings of 5 per load just in case I mess up. Being a nubbie i can verify the nice grouping i got was not a fluke.

Pink Mist Maker,

I have the same rifle, different scope, and not nearly as cool of a paint job!

I found 43.3 Varget in prepped Fed Brass the most accurate load. There was another node in the +44 range but 43.3 is the most accurate, on several occaisions. No chrono data...yet.

CT

If you can borrow a chrony off someone you will learn alot about what makes for an accurate load and whens a good time to back off.

I have the same rifle as you and I can easily run 45gr of varget with no pressure signs at all.

I will be confirming a new load for the 175smk on my next range trip, if only the weather would clear up.

By the way, 42.6 to 42.9 looks like its producing very little vertical, which is good
smile.gif
... do a little more work in that area to verify, or search a little higher and faster, it is do-able in our rifles

I bought this rifle off of someone else. He said 44 grains of Varget which he said was the best grouping. I'll have to get a chorny to see that they are better with more velocity. I'll for sure do some more testing at 42.4-43.0 and 44gr till I get pressure signs.

My LTR (20") averages a bit over 2600 with 178 Amax's, 45.0 Varget, FGMM brass and 210m's or BR2's. I doubt you're going much over 2500 with the load you described.

The most common mistake people make in OCW testing is they dont shoot in a "round robin" manner. If you dont, your results are useless. Everytime you pull the trigger, you're fireing a different load. When you're done, all targets have three shots of the same load. I realize I'm probably telling you something you already know but just wanted to make sure because it is a common mistake. Good luck.

okie

Yes I shot them in round robin. Also 6" of barrel would get me easily 100fps. I'm guessing then that the 44gr area would get me closer to 2600fps.

Soooo, 6" of any barrel easily gets you 100 FPS over any other 6" shorter barrel huh? Damn, wish I'd known that all these years, thanks for the tip.

okie

"A shorter barrel definitely delivers less velocity, all other factors being equal. With most powder/bullet combinations, you can figure an additional 25-30 fps per inch going from 20 to 25 inches. From 25 to 30 inches, add an extra 17-20 fps. From 30-33 inches you may pick up 15-17 fps or so, with appropriate powders. Here are some velocity estimates projected by QuickLOAD for 44.5gr Varget (ADI 2208) and IMR 4064 with a 168gr SMK set at 2.800" cartridge OAL, bullet not touching the lands."

Under barrel length here

Just going off this sorry to hit a soft spot...

"soft spot", thats funny. I'm no pro but been shooting 40+ yrs, do you actually think you're telling me anything there I haven't already heard? If you already knew all the answers, why'd you ask? You asked, I gave you my opinion, then you told me how it was. Go on back to your books, experience will teach you about a few other variables later on. There can be a big difference in velosity gained per inch between a factory barrel and a custom, but of course, you already knew that. Powder used, temperature, elevation (to name a few) all come into play. Blanket statements rarely hold any water in this sport. But like I said, good luck to ya. I'm sure you'll find the load you want.

okie

In my SPS Tac 20" bbl I've had good luck loading 44.4, 44.6. and 44.8 grains of Varget using FGMM brass CCI 200 Hornady 178 set at 2.82 OAL averaging roughly 2675fps. Tried 45.0 but it started to string out a bit. Best groups so far with this load are .23 moa 5 round group at 250yds and .91 moa 7 round group at 900yds. If the 42.x gr area doesn't pan out you might try the 44.x range. Think it's above "book" though so you might want to keep that in mind.