• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Post!

Km22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Hey guys,
I just got into shooting recently, and bought my first rifle (DSA SA 58). My friend is a Marine and we go out to the shooting range together and I've really, really enjoyed it. I want to buy my first bolt-action rifle. I will admit, I know almost nothing about rifles, except what I've researched online (here and a few other sites). There isn't a whole lot of common knowledge around where I live about them (Orange County, CA), Actually there isn't a whole lot of shooting going on around here either. But, I've become addicted to learning about rifles and again, I'm looking at purchasing my first bolt-action! From what I've read, a Remington 700 SPS Varmint seems to be a great value, other than it's crappy stock. Obviously I'd save money initially and could put money into a decent scope and eventually swap out the stock. The other option I noticed was a Remington 700p, which retails for under $1,000. The stock seems better, and I probably wouldn't change it out. I know there are a lot of people asking about this, but I assure you, I looked through the search engine and still am not sure which way to go on this. It seems, even over the long haul, the SPS-V would turn into a more expensive investment. Again, being realistic, I'm not one to really be able to afford a McMillan or ACIS stock anytime in the near future. So, sorry for the long essay, but what do you think about which purchase to make??

Re: First Post!

Lots of shooting and knowledge around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Km22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,
I just got into shooting recently, and bought my first rifle (DSA SA 58). My friend is a Marine and we go out to the shooting range together and I've really, really enjoyed it. I want to buy my first bolt-action rifle. I will admit, I know almost nothing about rifles, except what I've researched online (here and a few other sites). There isn't a whole lot of common knowledge around where I live about them (Orange County, CA), Actually there isn't a whole lot of shooting going on around here either. But, I've become addicted to learning about rifles and again, I'm looking at purchasing my first bolt-action! From what I've read, a Remington 700 SPS Varmint seems to be a great value, other than it's crappy stock. Obviously I'd save money initially and could put money into a decent scope and eventually swap out the stock. The other option I noticed was a Remington 700p, which retails for under $1,000. The stock seems better, and I probably wouldn't change it out. I know there are a lot of people asking about this, but I assure you, I looked through the search engine and still am not sure which way to go on this. It seems, even over the long haul, the SPS-V would turn into a more expensive investment. Again, being realistic, I'm not one to really be able to afford a McMillan or ACIS stock anytime in the near future. So, sorry for the long essay, but what do you think about which purchase to make?? </div></div>

I definitely would be getting something in .308. My DSA SA58 would use the same ammunition, so I think it would be the best choice on my part. I don't plan on hunting with the rifle either, just target shooting. The only local range is about 100 yards long. For longer shooting, I'd have to go out to the desert (which I can't wait to do!). The only problem with handling other rifles around here is that every time we go to the range, it seems like there is maybe one other person there. I don't have any friends that shoot (expect my Marine buddy) and I don't personally know anyone with knowledge about anything when it comes to rifles/shooting. Thanks again for your input!!

An SPS-Varmint's not a bad choice to get started. Learn to shoot with it then upgrade the equipment when it starts to become apparent that you need to. You'll know when that time comes and by then you'll have a better idea of what's important to you. Also look at the savage line, they are pretty affordable and also make good rifles, with the benefit of less gunsmithing required for barrel swaps or changes in the future.

You should think about getting into reloading pretty quickly too, the ammo makes a huge difference and you'll shoot more for less money, and have a round tailored to your rifle. It's not hard to learn.

Start out with an SPS-var in 308, put a SuperSniper 10x on there and you'll be set up to learn everything there is to learn about medium to longish range shooting fundamentals.

And I apologize for my ignorance too. I mean every one that I know from around here, nobody seems to know or be interested! The response to me buying my first rifle was "why did you buy that?"

yo km. ill show you around the the shooting range if you can show me around the driving range.. check out calguns.com for local specific stuff and welcome to the hide.....

Welcome sir to the finest source of sending bullets from here to there knowledge on the planet. Search/read over and over and you will most likely find every answer you want. Might I suggest that you look in the for sale section here for items that are of interest to you, there are good deals to be had and you will be buying from a good bunch of folks.

Try Dicks Sporting if you have one in your area. They have Remington .308 varmints for I think or at least I paid around $600.00 with a cheap scope. See if Remington has any Rebates on bolt action rifles. Buy a Bell & Carlson stock I think $200.00 in black from Stockeys stocks. Paint it later if you do not like the color. For around $800.00 without rebate you will have a very nice starter rifle. Is the scope cheap? Yes. The scope does have turrets that can be adjusted with out a coin or tool. But it will get you out here shooting until you can upgrade at a later date. There are tons of options and upgrades for the Remingtons. That is how mine started two years ago. Now after saving up. I have purchased everything I have wanted to do to it. But if you can buy a 700p for the same price with scope. I would do that.

Hello there, I live in San Bernardino County and work in Orange County, and I can say for certain there is a wealth of knowledge and shooters from that area that frequent here.

Personally, I shoot at Lytle Creek or West End Gun Club, where the range distance options are more available. I sometimes go out to BLM land in the desert also. I've just recently purchased a Howa heavy barreled action in 308 and will be tuning that slightly to make it into my learning rifle. I frequently chat with some friends of mine over at Fowler's Gun Room in Tustin, who sometimes give questionable opinions so I usually take it with a grain of salt, but in terms of firearms they usually don't steer me wrong (mostly because I learn stuff here and call them on their B.S.).
smile.gif

If you've got the time, hang out there one weekday morning or afternoon and just chat with guys there. They shoot frequently and generally pretty well, just don't buy guns from Fowler's because the markup is ridiculous. After a short time, you will have some people to shoot with, and also some idea of what to get. They have a good selection of rifles usually for you to try. Avoid Turners Outdoorsmen if you can...

Hope this helps.

Something else to consider... invest in a quality .22 target rifle (such as an older Win Model 52 Target, an Anschutz, or a good older Remington Target rifle) or even a very high-quality target air rifle.

You can get a lot of practice with sighting, positions, trigger pull, consistency, etc. at 50 Yds that will pay off big time at longer ranges. The Air Rifle lets you do it in your back yard. The .22 would still likely require a trip to the range, but you can buy a brick of 500 .22's for the cost of 1-2 boxes of 20 .308 Match rounds.

There are few substitutes for rounds down range, even in a sub-caliber.

Cheers and welcome to a rewarding and enjoyable pursuit.

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something else to consider... invest in a quality .22 target rifle (such as an older Win Model 52 Target, an Anschutz, or a good older Remington Target rifle) or even a very high-quality target air rifle.

You can get a lot of practice with sighting, positions, trigger pull, consistency, etc. at 50 Yds that will pay off big time at longer ranges. The Air Rifle lets you do it in your back yard. The .22 would still likely require a trip to the range, but you can buy a brick of 500 .22's for the cost of 1-2 boxes of 20 .308 Match rounds.

There are few substitutes for rounds down range, even in a sub-caliber.

Cheers and welcome to a rewarding and enjoyable pursuit.

Sirhr</div></div>

Huge +1

I've learned so much from the 22lr and still pick up little things each time I go to the range. If I had it to do over again I would buy a nice target 22lr first. Then move on to the centerfires. You would save so much money on trying to learn basics...shooting position, wind call, trigger control..etc.