• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First Rifle - First RANGE REPORT EVER

steelejones

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Maine
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
20 Moa Base
SWFA SS 10x42 Scope
Harris S Bipod with PodLok(not installed yet)

Scope is aligned and ready to bore sight/Zero in hopefully this weekend if its not too cold.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

Re: First Rifle

Steve,

Father walked up to me a few weeks ago and gave me a NIB Rem 700 7mm-08 thats 20+yrs old. Bolt hasnt even been in it yet. Looks awsome. I just havnt had a chance to

What would you purchase next (besides Ammo) to step her up another level ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelejones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo its a 1/9 Twist.

</div></div>

Why don't any of the factory 223 heavy barrel guns come with 1/7???!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelejones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you purchase next (besides Ammo) to step her up another level ? </div></div>

I'd mount a level on it,buy a reloading kit if you don't already have one and some 69 grainers.Maybe a rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelejones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo its a 1/9 Twist.

</div></div>

Why don't any of the factory 223 heavy barrel guns come with 1/7???!!! </div></div>

For the same reason they don't have 25 cal and 270 cal High BC bullets from Berger,Sierra and Hornady. I think they got em in the alternate universe. Maybe the Walternate can hook us up.
wink.gif
You'd have to be Fringe TV show fan to have any idea of what I'm talking about
smile.gif

Hornady 75gr Match(Moly) and BH 75gr Match(Moly) are good loads for this rifle. If you handload, the HDY 75gr HPBT Match (Moly) and 26.5gr(C*) of Ramshot Big Game will essentially duplicate those loads. Match primer, Win brass and 2.400" OAL completes the recipe (you single feed these puppies by hand). The 75gr Hdy -Max probably won't stabilize, but their HPBT will.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New stock and then bed it? Nice rig.</div></div>

This is all I'd do as well. Great first rifle build. Simple is good.

Guys, alot of you have mentioned a new stock...Whats your favorite stock?

Personally I'd avoid the choate stocks. If you want something moderately priced look into B&C. I'm a Manners fan but I know people that are very happy with their Bell & Carlsons. If you ever get into hunting, that 7-08 is a great round for hunting in Maine. Looks like your off to good start.

Edit to add: It doesn't get to cold to shoot in Maine. Get out there and fire that thing up.
laugh.gif

Wow the manners i like

MCS-T5A-( Terry Cross adjustable cheek – fixed butt )

$615.00 + shipping

thats as much as the gun....What kinds of performance increases can one expect from just a stock upgrade ?

If what you have works.. stick with it. Maybe just a stock pack from Triad to get your eye in better alignment with the scope and more consistent cheek weld if that's an issue with your setup. I prefer a sturdier stock that won't flex. I also like something I can get to "fit" me better (adj cheek, adj LOP). Most factory stocks don't fit my Sasquatchian body well.

The old Choate USS/UVS were big and heavy, haven't handled the newer tactical versions. McMillan are fantastic. Manners are fantastic. B/C are decent on a budget as are Stockade stocks. The B/C and Choate are probably the only ones you'll be able to buy without a wait.

It all comes down to what feels "right" to you. Some stock designs will fit you better than others. Some stocks will help reduce felt recoil. With the 223 that's not going to be a big issue anyway. Typically I've found that the full length bedding blocks transfer the recoil substantially more than a pillar bedded stock will. Again with the 223 recoil shouldn't be an issue. You don't have to drop $600 on a stock upgrade to reap the benefits of a better fitting stock and free floated barrel. Lots of people will say that with a full length bedding block there is no need to bed the action. Personally I would have it skim bedded to support the action better in the stock/chassis. I had my AICS skim bedded. Did it make a difference performance wise???? Who knows. It does give me the warm fuzzy feeling and I know that there isn't some weird torque going on there. If you can try and get together with some local shooters that have different rifles/stocks and see which feels best. There is no way to answer that for someone else. Some people hate the AICS chassis I happen to fit them very well. To each his own. Good luck and have fun with it.

Congrats on the new stick! It must suck being in an area where you have to worry about it being too cold. Out here in CA we hope for cooler weather and try to get away from the heat.

that is a great first rifle.. could not have picked a better one. much luck, and I hope many new shooters read your post and sense the logic

Thanks Tsavo. I spent alot of time talking to alot of great board members who were willing to put up with a newbie and lend a sincere hand in helping me make some tough decisions. It's awfull easy to just say 'buy a try and a USO and be done with it'. But I'm like most, I have a limited budget and just learning. I'm very happy with this community of shooters here at the hide. I should have some range pics today!!

Ok guys,

Today was the day...First Rifle, First Range Report EVER!

So I show up and im the one at the range which was great for me, didnt want to embarrass myself. I take a Hide Members advice and bore site at 25 yards to get me started. Well I didnt have anything to keep the butt end of the rifle up to go between the bore and the scope so i was winging it by trying to keep it steady while going between both. Took three shots and was close so moved it out to 100 yards for the rest of the afternoon.

Below is my first 10 shots at 100Yards with factory Federal 55grain FMJ that I had left over from a old AR of my brothers.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

Made some adjustments to the scope and shot another 10 (below)

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

After walking out to see these im grinning from ear to ear. First time ever getting shots to touch was exciting.

At this point since my rifle hold 3+1 I decided to shoot 8 shot groups instead of 10.

Below is the third round of 8. As you can see, this group is very poor compared to the first two. I found myself shooting too fast, closing my eye and in general just too cocky and moving.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

This next set of 8 I put up a 1inch target at 100 and tried. A few shots were nice but again I didnt seem to be holding up to my end.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

This last group of 8 I really tried to hold myself together and take my time and control my breathing etc.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

Overall im pretty happy for being so new, with this new rifle. Im really curious to hear all your thoughts. I know I can do a MUCH better job with breathing, trigger pull etc. In fact I plan to lighten up the accutrigger a bit before going out again. I know I have a LONG LONG ways to go. Im hoping that some match ammo might make me grin a bit more
smile.gif

Thanks for reading..

After reading and talking to some friends here. Its obvious that my position while shooting was causing alot of flyers. Im going out tommorrow again and will try and work on my position, and trigger pull. CAnt wait.

The only aftermarket stocks I have personal experience with (mine are for Savage 10FP's) are a McMillan A3 (factory pillar bedded), and one of the A5 prototypes.

I have one (the A3) with the cutout style cheek rest, and one (the A5)with the saddle style. I prefer the cutout style because the adjuster pylon/cheek block mounting allows for some sideways adjustment.

The stacker LOP adjustment setup works perfectly for me.

They are simply beautiful implements.

I have seen the B%C Medalists, and I approve.

Greg

We have a Choate tactical on a Savage, and a B&C Medalist on a 700. I like the Choate, but it is a heavy sumbitch, which isn't a bad thing for a bench gun. I do prefer the B&C.

Do yourself a favor and get a rear bag...impossible to get maximum stability without one.

Just out of curiosity, were all the groups you posted generated with the 55 gr FMJ? If so, you actually may have done a lot better than you think your first time out. I've shot a lot of Federal 55 gr FMJ and it's generally been 1.5 to 2.0 MOA ammo under the best of conditions.

Get yourself some decent match ammo and see what you can do. For your barrel/twist, something like Black Hills 68 or 69 gr, or some Federal GMM 69 gr ought to be pretty consistent in your setup. The main point is that it's going to be a lot more challenging (and far less satisfying) for you to work on improving your technique using ammo that has only 1.5 MOA precision under optimal conditions. Anyhow, good luck with it and congrats on your first range report!

Hey try the 75gr A-Max with varget behind it. I shoot it in a 1in9 twist savage and its one hole at 100yds and i can consistently hit steel at 1150 yds with it. I was shooting the hornady 75gr BTH Match but I can shoot the Amax farther. about 4.5 MOA flatter than the match hollow point. both shoot well but the A-Max spanks the hollow point on wind and drop.

Oh and by the way savage does make a 1 in 7 twist from the factory.

Hey not to shabby for the new guy! Congrats!! Now that your addicted it is a big black hole where your $$ go!
+1 on a rear bag. You will not believe what a difference that makes? Even if you take on old gym sock and fill it with rice, you will be ahead of the game. I found a new one at Traid Tactical (Hide sponsor)called the "little wedgie". I like it it is "tacticool".
Good luck lets see more pics soon!

Coug,

Having a family member bring me up some hornady 75gr BTH Match to try next week.

Im really limited in buying ammo locally with the local WalMart. Sucks..

UncleDog,

Shot another 150 rounds yesterday. Im getting better, worked on my stance, breathing, trigger etc.

I agree with the sock with rice etc. We have a friendly competition going with friends with front end bag but nothing in the rear. The thought is that when we compete against each other it should be the shooter that shoots. Meaning its good practice to control breathing, stance, trigger , wobble etc. However the rear bag would be nice for making sure the rifle and scope are sighted in perfectly.

I will say this. There was a retired State trooper there shooting his .308 and wanted to try mine out, he grabbed it and shot some nice groups - BETTER THAN I WAS DOING. So that was nice to see.

Your friendly competition sound like a lot of fun! Glad to hear your shooting improved. It's all about practice. Going to get some in today with my new scope. I'm really excited!

Great range report on your new rig....good first weapon/scope combo. I'd try out some match ammo....go all the way up to the 77gr and see if you get clean holes at 100. Just keep playing around with the ammo until you can find a compromise between ammo price and accuracy (unless you are going to make your own custom loads).

Question - hard to tell from the picture but does your savage gave the accutrigger or whatever they are calling it...basically like a glock trigger on a rifle..looks like a piece of metal in front of the trigger with 3 holes in it. They have gotten some mixed reviews. However, apparently Savage now offers "regular style" triggers...which do you have?

Steeleshot,

Yes it has the accutrigger.

Yeah actually having my sister in law bring me up some Hornady 75g to see how that reacts.

Ammo is bare in my area, so its order online, reload your own or buy federal 55grain fmj

How do you like the accutrigger? Works for you or would you rather have a more standard style trigger? Ive heard mixed reviews but I want a .308 savage myself and dont know what to do about the trigger on them....

Good choice for a first build. Good place for ammo is cheaperthandirt.com or ammoman.com....you can get 1000rds for 300.