• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First rifle for long range shooting.

Understated_in_Accuracy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Good evening everyone, I am new to the world of rifles and ammunition and I understand that my experience will grow in time but for right now, I am looking for advice on my first rifle for more or less than 1000 yard targets.

I've had my eyes on a DPMS Sportical from tombstone tactical that shoots 7.62x51mm or .308 rather(correct me if I'm wrong) and I've wanted to know if anyone has experienced any malfunctions of any kind with applied modifications to that rifle.

The modifications that I am currently saving up for are:

1.) Rainier ultramatch 20" barrel, fluted, ordered from their website that is compatible with dpms parts.

2.)Jard trigger, 1-1/2 Lb, single stage, ordered from midwayusa

3.) Daniel defense quad rail, rifle length, discontinued from midwayusa

4.) GRG .308 muzzle brake from amazon.

As I said before, I am only looking for advice or rather learning from others who have more experience than I have, thank you.

Exhale and pull the trigger...

Last edited:
The first thing I would reconsider is the trigger you're buying.
I wouldn't go under 2.5 pounds on a .308 semi

Good evening everyone, I am new to the world of rifles and ammunition and I understand that my experience will grow in time but for right now, I am looking for advice on my first rifle for more or less than 1000 yard targets.

I've had my eyes on a DPMS Sportical from tombstone tactical that shoots 7.62x51mm or .308 rather(correct me if I'm wrong) and I've wanted to know if anyone has experienced any malfunctions of any kind with applied modifications to that rifle.

The modifications that I am currently saving up for are:

1.) Rainier ultramatch 20" barrel, fluted, ordered from their website that is compatible with dpms parts.

2.)Jard trigger, 1-1/2 Lb, single stage, ordered from midwayusa

3.) Daniel defense quad rail, rifle length, discontinued from midwayusa

4.) GRG .308 muzzle brake from amazon.

As I said before, I am only looking for advice or rather learning from others who have more experience than I have, thank you.

Understated,

You may want to check with some of the builder/vendors here before buying a gun and then parts. You may be surprised at you can get into for the money.

Good Luck,
Keith

Jimmy,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm using the tapatalk app on my moto g and I did not notice your response until now, my question is why wouldn't you go under 2.5 pounds for .308 besides the doubling affect?

Jimmy,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm using the tapatalk app on my moto g and I did not notice your response until now, my question is why wouldn't you go under 2.5 pounds for .308 besides the doubling affect?

That's actually the reason I wouldn't . For bolt guns it's fine but chances are better than average you will have a 2 round burst with a trigger like that on occasion. If at all possible try to dry fire a 1.5 trigger on a friends bolt rifle you might know to see what I mean. That is a real light trigger on a AR10 platform to have installed.

Thank you as well for the advice, I'm looking for a trigger that would suit the applications for the rifle I have in mind and I was thinking that a light trigger would do fine if I could control it well without doubling, I'm interested in single stages and I've seen that jard has other triggers available in different pounds.

I seriously don't want to talk you out of the trigger you picked and it could be the best trigger for the applications you are going to use this rifle for.
The worst thing that can happen by trying it is you have a 2 round burst fire . Not a huge deal , just change it out to a heavier trigger.

Forgiving for a moment that you're new, I would like to hear why you want a semi-auto rifle over a bolt gun for long range shooting out to 1000 yards. I would also like to hear about the farthest confirmed distance you've previously shot.

Forgiving for a moment that you're new, I would like to hear why you want a semi-auto rifle over a bolt gun for long range shooting out to 1000 yards. I would also like to hear about the farthest confirmed distance you've previously shot.

Yeah, I have to agree with DAS here.

That gun is fine if that's what you want, but realize that a bolt gun will be a better platform for learning; to shoot, to reload, to read the wind, almost everything.

Plus, you are less likely to burn thru ammunition like it was free (which it ain't let me tell you).

Anyway, your money, your choice. Just give a bolt gun some thought.

Thank you for your advice once more Jimmy and to Das, I prefer semi over bolt because I can't stand to manipulate it every time I pull the trigger even though the longest shot I've tooken was about a mile with an old friends ar-30, bolt actions to me are just not in my interest.