• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First rifle wants...

Jigsisme

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2014
Being a Marine for the past 22 years I've got to "play" with many weapons/systems. I'm wanting getting a rifle and would like some sound advice. I started looking at the LGS and he has just about everything!! I want a fun shooter that's easy on the pocketbook and versatile so maybe a hunt every now and then ('yote, 'cat, hog, deer etc). I was eyeing the Mossberg MVP but the aftermarket isn't there yet. I then gravitated to the Rem700 as I know there are a ton you can do with this base. Looking at a Tactical 20" and if I went this way I would definitely and immediately put it in a XLR Element! (just like the 1 they have on their Element page is PERFECT!)...just really can't decide on a caliber. I would like the 223 but know that the 308 is the tried and true. 223 is fun, but don't think its right for deer. What do you recommend for this dilemma? I really want the 223 but everyone just looks at me like I'm stupid...got about $1600 for budget (excluding glass).

Appreciated.

I will say .223 is sufficient for deer. I have killed a few of them out to 2-300yds. As far as the rifle goes I would shy away from the Mossy, Remington would be my first choice with Savage a close second.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Everything you just posted would steer me away from a bolt .223

Deer hunting . hog hunting and cougar

AR platform is perfect for this , lightweight , many different configurations to suit your hunts

I'd check your local hunting regs before picking a caliber. Here in Iowa we can't use anything smaller than 6mm/24 caliber for deer. A 223 would be suitable for coyotes and small cats, but I'd want something bigger for hogs and cougars....you know, the stuff that can kill you.

Tikka? .223 1:8 twist, 20" heavy barrel they're out there I bought a LNIB used one couple months ago. I put a Bushnell 3-12X44 ET w/G2DMR reticle on it. Put some 77 Grain MatchKing BTHP through it last Saturday taking it out to 200 yards nice groups but I need more time and ammo with it to find out what it will do.

Rem 700 in .308 sounds like it will fit the bill. The endless accessories and options out there for the platform means you can build it up any way you want. Ammo is of course a little more pricey than .223 but if you plan on doing any sort of hunting or medium-long range shooting you will quickly find the .223 to be inadequate.

+1 on using an AR build for a precision 223. I would say go with a 308 either a Savage or a Remington 700. 308 ammo is plentiful with lots of flavors to choose from, and will allow you to make hits further out. For hunting deer especially, I'd choose 308 over 223 anyday.

Yeah, no way in hell I would advise .223 for deer, unless you are hunting those tiny key deer down in FLA.

Where do you live? Will matter hunting regulation-wise when determining what you can use.

Are you choosing the XLR chassis because of the looks of one on a webpage? You might want to try handling a few different stocks before you make up your mind. Some just feel right, while others don't.

Go with the .308, it will be more forgiving on shot placement than the .223.

Semper Fi.

A 243 would split the difference in those two cartridges. If you ever wanted to get into reloading, you can do amazing things with a 243. Of those two, If I had to chose one it would be 308.

Ryan

Get the 308, shoot the barrel out and then decide what caliber you would like to rebarrel it to.

Get the 308, shoot the barrel out and then decide what caliber you would like to rebarrel it to.

6-10000 rounds is a lot of bullets to figure out what caliber you want.

OP, If want a laser, and don't mind replacing your barrel every 2K rounds or so, I would get a 243 or other 6mm. .243 will kill anything in NA, shoot straight like a laser, and have moderate recoil.

...got about $1600 for budget (excluding glass).

I really wanted to tell you forget the bolt gun and build an AR-10 type, but that would be out of your budget a bit. So fuck your original budget and think 2200 +glass and you will be much more happy in the end. Hunting and target and revolution.

Appreciate the advice everyone. I'll go to a few shows and shoots to see what "calls to me"...no real rush. Shopping is part of the fun too!!

I'd say, since you aren't in a hurry, go with the Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and in third qtr of '14 there will be an Element Chassis with that inlet. You would have a laser in the stock you are looking for and a good hunting rifle as well for the stuff you want to hunt.

Just another option...

Happy "Hunting"

I killed a 150 lb big horn sheep from about 75 yards with a 223. He didn't take one step just fell on his side instantly dead. I shot him quartering away from me through his vitals. I would say it should drop a deer at about 150 to 200 yards fine.

Go with the savage 10pc. Change your own barrel, bolt handle, and caliber in your living room. Savage is known to be just a little bit more accurate out of the box over the R700's, and the aftermarket support is close and increasing every day.

Go with the savage 10pc. Change your own barrel, bolt handle, and caliber in your living room. Savage is known to be just a little bit more accurate out of the box over the R700's, and the aftermarket support is close and increasing every day.

+1

If you're just getting into rifles Savage are a good place to start. Easy to modify yourself and easy on the budget (not to start the classic Savage/Rem debate. I like them both). For what your original post says either one will fit the bill fine. I recommend the .308 as well. Shot placement is primary with hunting in any cartridge, but .308 gives you a little more wiggle-room than .223.