• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First round of load development, thoughts

wburke2010

Minuteman
I just a new precision rifle built and finally got some range time to get out and test some rounds for it. It is a 284 win, shooting the 162 amax seated at mag length, running H4831sc. Started out at 48 grains of powder and went to 56 in two grain increments then loaded one set at 57 grains as book max was 55.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

All groups were shot at 100 yards using a bi-pod and rear bag. My thoughts are that 54 grains was the best load and now I will load up some more rounds in .2 grain increments about three steps above and three steps below 54 grains, and see what does best out of those seven loads. Any pointers or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Walter

Re: First round of load development, thoughts

Forgot to add that all are five shot groups except for the first one which is a 7 shot group and on the second one that was also a five shot group, not sure where the fifth shot is.... Still getting used to an aftermarket trigger vs the standard Remington...

Thanks
Walter

Wburke, from what I see (IMO) your 50gr group looks like it has potential.
The 54 gr might be a one hole, but it's a big hole (looks like alot of paper was shot out when shooting.

If it was me, I'd load up 5 rounds of 50-51 in .2gr increments and then do the same from your 54-55 in .2gr increments (always checking for pressure signs).

Out of those, you should find a good bug hole group.

Thanks for the advice. I will take that into consideration. I also need to run the next round through a chrony as I am not sure what my velocity is running. This is mainly going to be for target shooting and some hunting now and then and I don't really want a hot load so that I can get longer life out of my barrel. At 56-57 grains I was not showing signs of pressure on the case but I was starting to get a noticeable heavier bolt lift.

Walter

I agree, my loads are all medium. They are accurate, extends brass and barrel life and saves a little on powder lol. Good luck with your development and let me know how it goes!

Will do thanks again will probably load up some more rounds tomorrow and try to get back out to test some more on Thursday. Will keep you updated.
Walter

I think your charge increment of 2 grains is too large for a 1st pass at load development.

The reason that I did two grain increments is because I wanted to find out where my max load was, so that I can load under that as I want a moderate load and I do not want to be close to max. I wanted a little slower of a load so that I can get as much barrel life and case life out of what I have. Which loading at 2 grain increments did just that. I did not reach my max but I was close so now I know where I need to be and have a place to work from. Might not be the way everyone does it but it works for me.
Thanks
Walter