• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First shots with new rifle (AAC-SD, Manners, IOR)

Mahk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Lubbock, TX
FINALLY got a chance to take my first precision rifle out. I put it all together and finished it about 3 months back. It's a Remington 700 AAC-SD in a Manners T3, Seekins low rings, Seekins base, IOR 2.5-10x42 illum. FFP, and Harris bipod. Ammunition was 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match. The range conditions were "less than ideal" as the row of tires you have to use to shoot through at this 100 yard range had collapsed and fell down, forcing me to stow the bipod and get VERY low to be able to have an unobstructed line of sight to the target. I feel I could have done a little better had I been able to use the bipod and a proper shooting position, but overall I'm satisfied. Also the stock trigger is garbage compared to what Savages come with, even after adjusted. Took me 3 rounds to get zeroed at 100 yards. The hole covered with the sticker isn't a flyer, but the last round fired before I was on zero and shot the group. Very pleased with the results of my little project. The thought had crossed my mind of "Oh man, I've spent almost 3000 dollars on this thing and I don't even know if it shoots. What if it shoots like shit?" Fortunately that's not the case. Near future mods are Timney trigger (What weight would be appropriate?), bolt knob, a paint job so I can be one of the cool kids, and I plan on ordering an AAC 762 suppressor some time after new years.

201112171603382.jpg

201112171559592.jpg

STH70062.jpg

sth703202.jpg

Re: First shots with new rifle (AAC-SD, Manners, IOR)

Good job. Looks like u did your homework and made a good educated build. Welcome to the addiction.

Looking good! Im looking at picking up a 700 AAC-SD for the wife. Did you have your manners bedded or mini-chassis?

I went with the one that has the integral mini-chassis.

roger that, Ive been looking at the Manners/Chassis combo and you've demonstrated that its a solid combo.

That's a gorgeous setup... with the exception of the glass, that's exactly what I'm looking at doing!!! I can't wait now that I'm seeing final product... lol

Talk to me about the T3. I've got a T2 on the way and am thinking HARD about a T3 for a dual-purpose Savage long action build...

Very nice! Just got my new AAC-SD yesterday also, can't wait to get to the range and fire this thing! Got a Leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50 coming and seekins base and rings! Your rifle looks good congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to me about the T3. I've got a T2 on the way and am thinking HARD about a T3 for a dual-purpose Savage long action build...

</div></div>I was also on the fence between the T2 and T3. Ultimately I figured that the T3 would be best simply because I like the widened forend, even though I am pretty fond of that "Vietnam-ish" look the T2 gives to a rifle. The T3 looks good and it works great if you are in a situation where you need to use the forend to rest the stock on rather than the bipod (the exact situation I was in today) and it's nice and chunky to hold on to if you're shooting offhand, but doesn't feel retarded like the HS Precision stock forends. I also like that if one day I shoot out this barrel and want to go for a thicker profile, the T3 will leave more meat in the stock if I have it recontoured. I considered the T2, T3, and T4 when deciding on a stock and had cash in hand to purchase whichever, and if I did it again the only thing I'd do differently is order the T3 molded in green or painted.

Nice rifle, nice shooting, I have a Timney, great trigger, if you'll be using it for anywhere other than the range somewhere between 2&4 pounds would be wise. Too light can be detrimental with numb fingers, gloves, adrenaline, etc.

I am hoping my Rem 700 AAC-SD build turns out as nice as yours! That is one nice stick you have there!

My Timney is set @ 2.5lbs with no creep. I love it. It feels lighter then it is, so my suggestion is 2.5lbs.

Nice build by the way.

Thank you for the trigger weight suggestions. Definitely don't want it to be ridiculously light, but what I'm working with now wouldn't have worked for me if I had to take the shots on time constraints.

Felt ballsy and bored today, so I whipped out the Krylon.

sth703442.jpg

Nice Job. Looks better than the black by a long shot!