• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes first spr 10-600 yard scope help

rally guy

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2014
Hello I am new here, I come from the Canadian gun nutz forum and I am seeking lr scope info.

Thank you in advance.

I am contemplating building a spr ar build. My shooting range goes to 500 yard and I want to be able to one day shoot a bit further. This opic would be put on top of dd mk12 18" chf ss barrel. The most important criteria is sturdiness and repeatability after that its glass quality.*

So for that reason here is the choice I have a nightforce 2.5-10x32 mil/mil or moa/moar or a nightforce 2.5-10x42 mil/mil or moa/moar.*

The 42 has a 4.4 exit pupil insted of 3.3 and it also has an adjustable parralax.

I got a couple questions, is the 4.4 pupil and adjustable parralax really worth 500 more dollars?

What about nightforce other options, what's you taughts on zero stop and illumination?*

And lastly what your take on mil vs moa for me? I am 27 I learned the metric system at school but I alway talk in inch, foot, kilometers and celcius .

Thank you very much

Rally,

I am a big Nightforce fan boy. I have owned one of the NXS compacts, the 2.5-10x24 to be exact. The only thing I did not like about the scope was the fact that it did not have a side parallax. The 42 mm objective should have a crisper image and better light gathering capabilities. If you do not need the features of the 2.5-10x42 then by all means go with the 2.5-10x32. It does not matter which reticle you get so long as your turrets match your reticle in my opinion.

If you think in centimeters, meters etc mil-mil may make more sense to you since one click will be one CM at 100M. Zero stop and illumination are nice in some situations but not really necessary however I think if you get the mil-mil nightforce model(s) they all come with those features anyways. So moot point.

I don't know what sort of prices you are looking at but if they are really similar I'd step up to the 42mm version. If not then just get the 32mm. It's a great scope.

What type of shooting will you be doing with it? Just banging steel, punching paper for groups, hunting, positional/tactical, or blasting to blast rounds?

I use a 1.1-8x24, but i'm not worried if I'm hitting half a minute or what my groups look like for the most part. I just care that my optic is durable, repeatable, and I can make hits on man sized targets with ease.

What type of shooting will you be doing with it? Just banging steel, punching paper for groups, hunting, positional/tactical, or blasting to blast rounds?

I use a 1.1-8x24, but i'm not worried if I'm hitting half a minute or what my groups look like for the most part. I just care that my optic is durable, repeatable, and I can make hits on man sized targets with ease.

Well I am in Canada so no hunting with a ar since it's restricted. This would be my first high-end optic and if I am going to dish out that kind of cash (2100$+) I want something that will outlive me! I have a couple burris and I had a vortex diamondback ( that I couldn't sell fast enough) and I am tired of not trusting my optic!

It's the mil or moa thing that's bugging me really. Mil is more standard but moa seems almost faster to estimate for me.

Welcome to the Hide, eh?

First, either NF x32 or x42 will be a great scope for exactly what you're looking to accomplish. Durable and repeatable for sure, along with being made for those shooting distances. While 10m is not ideal, they piggy back a red dot or side mounted irons for that very easily. Your biggest debate is whether you want adjustable parallax or not. For ARs that will be toted and need to be rapidly employed, I prefer simple fixed parallax. Precision? I want that side focus.

As for the mil/moa debate, that is an old one and I'll simply put it this way: stop thinking linear and start thinking angular. Whatever you go with, your reticle is a ruler to measure and make adjustments with. Mil is rapidly winning that fight because running tenths is easier than running quarters for most shooters, especially when it comes to using the reticles for impact adjustments. The Mil-R reticle rocks, got three of them now and feel they're efficient and widely capable without being a jumbled clusterfuck. That is all personal preferences.

Now for all the moa users to come after me... Oh, and I like 9mm, Glocks and Leupold too! :eek:

Hey there, I thought I would chime in on this, as I went through this process about 2 years ago. I am not, by any means, a expert or guru. I'm just a guy with some Military experience and now an avid shooter. So with that said, it looks like you have a good magnification range for a "SPR". 2.5-10 or 3-9, maybe even 2-8 depending on how you're going to use the rifle. Right now, I am very happy with my SWFA SS 3-9x42. In fact, its one of my favorite scopes to this day. I suppose that would be due to the fact that I've used much more expensive and inexpensive options. I get this little fuzzy happy feeling when I go to the range and see guys with scopes as expensive as my Jeep and I'm getting more hits with a $500 scope. Its this weird conception that some people have; They feel like if they spent $1500, $2000, or more on a scope that their gun is better than yours. In reality, your rifle is only as accurate as you are. (Same concept with Jeeps, motorcycles and many other things) And with rifle scopes, if you spend $1500 instead of $500, you are not getting a scope that is 3 times as good, you're just paying 3 times as much. In reality, you would be lucky to get a scope that is 1.5 times "better" than a scope that is 3x as expensive. And even that is debatable. Everyone eyeballs are different, so as long as you have a durable and repeatable scope, you will get hits. Just look at WWII "Snipers", those guys used scopes that, compared to today's rifle scopes, are probably no better than the scope on your pellet rifle. They still got kills way out there. Now, if you only have a couple of rifles, you have all the other essential gear for the type of shooting you want to do, and your budget is around $1500... You might as well get the best scope you can for the money you have to spend. But, like I said earlier, your rifle is only as good as you are. So practice is more important than whats sitting on top of your rifle, generally speaking. Nightforce 2.5-10x44 is a great scope, but its not FFP. I would say for probably 80% of guys shooting a SPR in the role its intended to be used, FFP is probably better than SFP. With training, you can get around SFP just fine. I like a simple mil dot/hash reticle. Never been a fan of BDC reticles, given the fact that I run different loads often and shoot at different locations and conditions and don't ever seem to get good impacts utilizing a BDC reticle. You might be in a different circumstance than me, and can manage to use BDC Reticles just fine. This is something, along with SFP, that you can overcome given your preferences and circumstances. For me, FFP and Mil-dot based reticle is the easiest way to do what I want to do.

I know this got off the topic of whether 42 obj and side focus is worth $500. And I'd say no. Unless you're hunting dawn/dusk and find yourself in extremely low light, and need 10x magnification in those conditions, its not worth it. You can always go down to 5x and just know that since you're using SFP, you're observed impact corrections are roughly twice of what they would be on 10x. Then again, its going on an AR in .223, so a follow up shot with holding instead of dialing would be faster and easier. Your exit pupil would be around 6.4mm of light at 5x magnification, which is more than enough. 5x is enough to clearly identify a target at 200 yards at night, not to mention .223 isnt a cartridge I'd feel comfortable hunting with much further than 200 yards, unless its varmit or something similiar. The other thing when you spend big bucks on a NF, its probably going to be a little bit better than your average $500 scope with similar magnification and objective size to the Nightforce in low light performance. So even with less than 5mm of exit pupil, it would be a tad clearer and possibly brighter than a $500 scope.

Again, I'm not trying to totally steer you in a different direction, I just don't want you to spend lots of money on a scope, and not have money to train and get the gear you need for "precison shooting". Just about anyone can walk a rifle out to 600 yards, but to know your system, and get a cold bore shot at even a known distance is pretty impressive. unknown distances in wind are even more difficult. I had a NXS F1 on my "SPR" for a little bit until I got more guns and needed more scopes on different tools. I'm just saying, if you don't have much experience, you might be better off with a lower priced optic so you can have more fun!

This is a great resource of much more experienced guys than myself and I would recommend doing some searches and reading what others have to say.

Hope I can help you out here.

I think you will be happy with the nightforce, I have loved everyone I've owned.

As for Mil or Moa, Redmanss pretty much covered it. Don't let it get you confused, either will work, just make sure your turrets match the reticle.

I use Mil/Mil for everything now. I really don't even think in CM or Inches for anything other than target sizes when calculating range for unknown targets. Corrections aren't made in inches or centimeters. They are made in what ever unit my reticle is. I use Mils, so that is what I make corrections in. No matter the distance, a mil is a mil, so if at 100m when zeroing, if I am a half mil right, I correct left a half mil, and I'm on. If at 600m I am a mil low, I come up a mil and I'm on.
It would be the same for a MOA/MOA setup.

You will be happy with a Mil/Mil setup, never met anyone that wasn't.

Cheers

The Nightforce scopes would be a great way to go. If your looking for a lower cost alternative the Vortex PST or the Burris XRTII.

We sale them all.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

If you think in centimeters, meters etc mil-mil may make more sense to you since one click will be one CM at 100M. Zero stop and illumination are nice in some situations but not really necessary however I think if you get the mil-mil nightforce model(s) they all come with those features anyways. So moot point.

I don't know what sort of prices you are looking at but if they are really similar I'd step up to the 42mm version. If not then just get the 32mm. It's a great scope.

Ignore the "think in metric". There is no reason to use any linear units unless ranging and it doesn't matter which you use. A tenth mil is a tenth mil. It doesn't matter the distance or what linear unit you think in.

I'd certainly want zero stop and illumination for an AR if I can get it.

Honestly the 1.1-8x Leupold Mark 8 would be my choice I were to really want the close range performance.

If I wanted to focus on long range, I'd want the NF 2.5-10x42 or the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44.

I'll be honest though, I thought I "needed" side focus on a scope. But on a 10x it was not all that big a deal so long as I had good consistent cheek weld and good sight picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I would add to this is you should consider moving. We would be happy to have you down here shooting critters with your MK12.

I've got both and it's a toss up based on what you want to do with it. Like the redmann said, speed=32 - precision=42

If it helps I've got the 24 with no parallax on my Mk12

Welcome to the Hide, eh?

First, either NF x32 or x42 will be a great scope for exactly what you're looking to accomplish. Durable and repeatable for sure, along with being made for those shooting distances. While 10m is not ideal, they piggy back a red dot or side mounted irons for that very easily. Your biggest debate is whether you want adjustable parallax or not. For ARs that will be toted and need to be rapidly employed, I prefer simple fixed parallax. Precision? I want that side focus.

As for the mil/moa debate, that is an old one and I'll simply put it this way: stop thinking linear and start thinking angular. Whatever you go with, your reticle is a ruler to measure and make adjustments with. Mil is rapidly winning that fight because running tenths is easier than running quarters for most shooters, especially when it comes to using the reticles for impact adjustments. The Mil-R reticle rocks, got three of them now and feel they're efficient and widely capable without being a jumbled clusterfuck. That is all personal preferences.

Now for all the moa users to come after me... Oh, and I like 9mm, Glocks and Leupold too! :eek: