• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Starting Out

NoobTube1234

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone -

I'm relatively new to target shooting, and just purchased a Ruger American Hunter in .308 with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope and case. I have a shotgun, but this is my first rifle.

I've fired before, but have never shot anything beyond 50 yards. Around me, the ranges go to 200 yards.

I wanted to see if there are any tips and tricks I should do when I hit the range.

I'm sure most will recommend getting access to the training section of the forums and watch the videos there. Today was the first day of shooting over 100y and just from reading here and watching Frank's training videos both my wife and i had first round hits going out to 500y with a light breeze.

First study up on zeroing your scope. Next decide how you’ll be shooting. Off bags? Off a bipod with a rear bag? You didn’t mention that. Get that system sorted before you hit the range. And once you decide on that then get on YouTube and learn about controlling recoil and the shot sequence. Finally check your expectations. If you don’t have any centerfire rifle experience you’ll need to be patient. Having a mentor helps tremendously. Don’t be afraid to ask for help at the range if you see someone who looks like they have their act together. Gun guys are usually happy to help.

Thanks for the advice! It's looking like I'll be purchasing a bipod in the coming days. As for the videos, I'll check those out as well. Any advice on a preferred brand of decent, cost-effective ammo to break the rifle in?

Hornady American Gunner is fairly good quality inexpensive ammo. The Black line of ammo I think is the same stuff as well.

Best cheap factory ammo is gonna be federal gold
Medal match with the 168gr smk’s

Buy some cheap ammo and jut throw lead down range without being critical of accuracy. Get comfortable with the rifle and the recoil first, then dial it in.