• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger american hunter 308

ConnaB99

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2022
Canada
Anyone shooting the ruger american hunter in 308? What are you shooting for factory ammo or what works for ya for hand loads.
Been shooting the 150gr hornady American whitetail lately, I’ll get under half inch group at 200 yards, then I’ll get over a two inch group at 200?
2 circled groups were both same box of ammo at 200 yards. maybe the barrel was just warm enough to throw the groups off that much? Or just inconsistency with factory ammo?
Shot 5 or so rounds before hand at 110 yards before top left group, let barrel “cool” for 5 or so minutes and shot at bottom right target.

Attachments

• 8EE28859-8094-441A-9669-0CC50505CF29.jpeg
    8EE28859-8094-441A-9669-0CC50505CF29.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 37
For what it's worth, I have a Predator model with an 18" barrel and I also shoot the 150gr Hornady Whitetail. It is not match ammo, but I've had good results with it.

After getting to know the rifle, I quit shooting five round groups and limit my strings of fire to 3 rounds when shooting for groups. The barrel heats up very quickly and the groups start to open up. I don't think that letting it cool for 5 minutes is sufficient, in 80 degree weather.

Honestly, I've never really shot my rifle for accuracy (I bought it to hunt with), with appropriate ammunition, but I've taken it out to 800 on 4 MOA steel and haven't had any problems making hits well within the confines of the target using Whitetail ammo.

The Rugers appear to be good shooters.

If you're worried about shooting groups, try some ammo better suited to the job. Federal Gold Medal Match is a good place to start. For handloads, Sierra Match King projectiles on top of Varget or Reloader 15 powder is also a good place to start.

Reactions: ConnaB99
For what it's worth, I have a Predator model with an 18" barrel and I also shoot the 150gr Hornady Whitetail. It is not match ammo, but I've had good results with it.

After getting to know the rifle, I quit shooting five round groups and limit my strings of fire to 3 rounds when shooting for groups. The barrel heats up very quickly and the groups start to open up. I don't think that letting it cool for 5 minutes is sufficient, in 80 degree weather.

Honestly, I've never really shot my rifle for accuracy (I bought it to hunt with), with appropriate ammunition, but I've taken it out to 800 on 4 MOA steel and haven't had any problems making hits well within the confines of the target using Whitetail ammo.

The Rugers appear to be good shooters.

If you're worried about shooting groups, try some ammo better suited to the job. Federal Gold Medal Match is a good place to start. For handloads, Sierra Match King projectiles on top of Varget or Reloader 15 powder is also a good place to start.
Sweet thanks! And ya I’ve shot the federal gold medal match, was shooting hornady eldm 168gr for a while too. They would shoot good, then shoot like crap. But it’s a hunting rifle. Just curious what people have experienced with it. But good to know!