• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First time Annealing. What you think?

Dynamic Response

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
Illinois
Hey guys I just started reloading and tried some annealing. What do you think? Does it look right? To much to little?? Any advice is appreciated

image_zps6ec65785.jpg

image_zps24cdbdb4.jpg

Re: First time Annealing. What you think?

Hard to tell. When you press the bullet in are they all the same tension?

I haven't loaded them yet. I was under the impression that people can tell by the color and since I'm a beginner at this I was looking for a few second opinions.

Tough to tell by the color alone and if you haven't done so already, get some Tempilaq. I use a Bench Source annealer and the color of the brass will vary even though the heat is applied consistently.

That was going to be my question as well about can't you tell just by color. As my brass gets up in fireings I'm going to have to start thinking of annealing myself.

I used a 1/2 in deep well socket attached to a drill. I slowly turned the case while hitting it with the propane torch. I tried holding at different parts of the flame and different amounts of time. I believe this was about 6 seconds holding it about 1/4in outside the blue flame. I watched a few videos of the guys using the annealing machines and just tried duplicating it.

the trick with annealing is consistency, if they are all the same it doesn't matter as much how long they where in the flame, to a point though.
yours looks okay while a little inconsistent as far as color change down past the shoulder.
they might shoot just fine though.
try them out.

Yeah I need to hold the flame the same way each time. I was holding the torch in my left hand trying to angle it just the right way. While holding the drill in my right hand. I can see the benefit with getting the machine. I just can't swing it right now.

My main concern is to try not to over anneal them. I don't want it to be to soft. From the research I did it said to get that light blue color on it and it should be good. It also said the body of the case shouldn't lose any of its shine or color. If it does then it got to hot. Like I said earlier. I am new to this. These where my first 20 cases I ever did and 4 of them I did to much. I welcome any advice you guys have

all in all you did a good job and with a very little tuning and practice you'll do a great job as they do not look over or under cooked but rather well done
cheers.

I use 750 tempilaq and mark the inside of the neck with it. When it burns off I note the number of seconds it took. I do this on about 3-5 cases with an overly loud wrist watch next to my ear (hanging from a hat, quite a sight when my wife walked in on me, lol) After I get the countdown I continue with the rest of the cases unmarked.

As for your pics, they look about right but...

Thanks guys.

What is the correct temp for the Tempilaq? Ive seen Hornady kits that come with 475degree and I hear people saying 650 and Niles is saying 750. Im a bit confused.

The Tempilaq that comes with the kit is meant to be placed on the cartridge case exterior below the shoulder. When I was researching annealing temperatures I came to the conclusion that the brass needed to reach 700-800 degrees in the area being annealed. That is the reason I chose 750. I use the Hornady kit just not the included bottle and I have been using this method for the last 2 years and it works.

That makes sense. I read that the brass doesn't change until it reaches about 480. So 475 on the body would let you know if the body gets to hot. Gotcha. Thanks Bud I appreciate the info.