• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time past 1000......

kingzero

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Crack Town, AZ
I am new here and to long range shooting. Last year I decided to build a rifle and jump in to see how I faired. Iv'e got some decent equipment and am making progress. The farthest I had shot before today was 776 yards but wanted to hitt 1000 before it got blistering hot here in AZ. I found a safe place to shoot and the distance ended up being 1070 yards. I set up and surprised the hell out of myself.

I was able to get 3 hits before the wind picked up and beat my ass. I am a newbie and this was more luck than anything else..........I don't claim to be this good but it made my day.

Long action .260. Interesting. Do you have any feeding issues. Looks like there is googobbs of room to get your finger in the port if you have to unfuck something. Have you thought about doing a 6.5-06AI?

Nice shooting by the way.

Savage 110 flat back action
Criterion 260 Remington match 8 twist varmint @ 24"
Mcmillan A3 in coffee camo
PTG blot head
EGW 20 moa rail
TPS rings
Flatline Ops level
Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP
Atlas bipod
YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom suppressor

Long action .260. Interesting. Do you have any feeding issues. Looks like there is googobbs of room to get your finger in the port if you have to unfuck something. Have you thought about doing a 6.5-06AI?

Nice shooting by the way.

I bought the donor rifle with plans to build a 7 mag for hunting. I decided to change it up because I wanted to shoot steel/ targets with it on the off season and figured a smaller non-magnum round would be more practical. The more I read on the 260 the more I liked it and figured the extra mag length may come in handy for seating the 140's out farther. I ordered my barrel with the "match" chamber which I was told had a ~0.020" longer throat. I am running 2.925" OAL........0.005" off the lands and don't have any feeding issues.

I really like the 6.5's and thought about doing a 6.5-06 but stuck with a SA round to burn less powder because of the bullshit going on.

I would be interested in knowing about your build as well. I have read about others using a long action in 260. Why did you choose the LA over the SA? I just started the endeavor of building a new rifle and haven't decided between 260 or 6.5 cm. I was leaning towards the 260.

Great shooting and nice rifle! 260 is my favorite caliber for distance, if I leave out my 338LM. Suppressed mine shoots and sounds like a 22LR. I shoot Lapua 139gr BTHP over 43.3 gr of H4350. At least the 260 is less affected by wind than the 308 calibers.

PS-Will be trying some IMR4350 in the next few weeks to see how it stacks up against, since it seems to be much easier to find.

Last edited:
Very nice job for your first real go at 1000, I'm running 43.5gr H4350 for my 140 Amaxs... 26" barrel and I'm getting 2920 out of mine, have you chrono'd at all? Like someone else said earlier, you should really look into 6.5-06 since you have a long action.

Yes, it's a long action. I bought the donor rifle with the intent to build a 7 mag for hunting, but decided I wanted to start shooting at distance and didn't want the recoil and powder consumption of a magnum. I did some research and the 260 seemed it would fit the bill so I got all the parts ordered. I ordered Criterions "match" chamber cause I was told it had more freebore for the 140's and the long action lets me load them where it likes them (2.925".....0.005" off) and I don't have any feeding issues. I am very happy with how it turned out........even if it is a shitty old savage.

Specs are.........

Savage 110 flat back action
Criterion 260 Remington match 8 twist varmint @ 24"
NSS .25" precision lug and nut
McMillan A3 in coffee camo
EGW 20 MOA rail
TPS rings
Flatline Ops level
Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP
Atlas bipod
YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom

I am getting 2750 fps with 41.5 gr of H4350. I was hoping to push them faster, but it seems to like them so im sticking with it for now. Powder has been a bitch to find, but I just scored 8lbs last week so I should be set for a while.

I thought about the 6.5-06 but wanted to stick with a SA case for conserving powder.

sib1948.......I tried IMR4350 first but couldn't get it to group with anything over the starting load of 39 gr. I put 6 140 SMK's into just over a half inch but I wasn't ready to accept the low velocities.

rancilio.......I haven't ran numbers without the suppressor........it's just sooooo nice I never shoot with out it. I am in Apache Junction.

People on here have some truly awesome rifles. I will be buying a Tikka 7 mag for that hunting rifle and then hope to have enough money saved to go full custom by the time I burn out the 260 barrel. I really like the Defiance Deviant actions and am thinking I will stick with the 6.5mm Kool-Aid.