• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First time shooting 400

wburke2010

Minuteman
Went to the range today to shoot some pistols and got a shot chance before anyone got out there to shoot down the road at 400 yards. Didn't have too long so I only got one group and this is the first time I have shot anything past two hundred after working up some loads.

IMAG0054.jpg

I made this target to shoot at and it is 11x14 inches. It is just mild steel so it takes a good beating but it is a solid inch thick.

Here is a close up the group measure roughly 1.5 inches center to center.

IMAG0053.jpg

Gun is a 284 Winchester shooting a 162 AMAX seated to mag length, under 55 grains of H4831sc. Coming from a 26 inch barrel.
Walter

Re: First time shooting 400

That doesn't look like a first time shooting at 400 group. I'd say your load development period is over and nice shooting!

Re: First time shooting 400

Thanks guys. This is my first custom build and only shot at 100 for load development then put down a five shot group at 200, funny thing is my group from 400 is better than my group was at 200...

I shoot at 200 regularly with a few other guns and it gets boring fast. I have taken my stock savage 204 ruger with hand loads out to 300 before but there was nothing precise about it. It was hold a little high and shoot. With that fast of a bullet there is not much drop but the wind is crazy on it so I didn't do too good with it. But I worked up a decent dope chart with JBM so I clicked in 2.1 mils I believe and was aiming at the center of the plate So its a little high and right of POA but that was a rough dope.

Walter