• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Trainer Rifle 700 ADL

seagrovesbk

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2020
So I have wanted to get into precision shooting for some time and was looking around for a trainer to get me started specifically a bolt gun since it would be my first. I came across a new 700 ADL 223 this weekend with scope combo for $290 so I figured why not. Outside of glass, what suggestions to you have on upgrading it? I'm using this as a learning experience. Keeping in mind this is just a trainer, I'm not looking upgrades that I will need to sale a kidney to afford. Thanks.

I’ve been looking for that unicorn Krg Bravo for months. Recoiladdiction.com has them for $350 and the owner is a prs shooter and good guy.
You might wanna decent trigger. RifleBasix has inexpensive triggers. You can get one that adjusts down to 8oz for about $130 or half the price of a TriggerTech diamond.

I’ve seen the Bravo as low as $300 used here in the PX but only once.

The trigger idea is probably a good one. I used to like Factory triggers until I shot some good aftermarket triggers.

Lowlight and others have some good threads on trigger pull weight. I’ve got all mine set about 1.5 lbs and I like that. Some guys like under a lb. but other competitive guys like 2-3 lbs. Seems to be a personal thing.

I Am lucky to have a good friend who’s an experienced Smith who trued up my R700s. I guess you don’t need Sub-moa accuracy for a trainer but a trued R700 w a good barrel will do it. And you only have $290 in it so you’ve got lots left over!

I like the bravo, but what's the overall consensus on the Magpul hunter stocks? For barrels, I was considering working with a heavy barrel, any preferred places to look barrels or even Remington replacements? Bolt gun barrel changes are new to me and don't appear to be as easy as other types of guns.

I’ve read a couple good comments about the magpul Hunter but I didn’t like mine. I didn’t like the grip angle or the cheek rest insert system. It might be ok for a trainer.

I switched to a used XLR and added an Ergo grip and I like it a lot.

I do have a Magpul adjustable butt stock on my Orias chassis and I like it.

Tons of positive reviews of the Bravo and the price is lower than most comparable chassis/stocks.