• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fitting a B&C Stock to by Savage?

95huskers

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
I just got a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock for my Savage Model 12 rifle. I need to widen out the barrel channel out to float my barrel. What is the best method for doing this???

Re: Fitting a B&C Stock to by Savage?

For the every day Joe a dowel rod with sand paper wrapped around it is pretty hard to beat. You can't really mess it up.

Would a dremel work better or is there something other than a dowel that would do a better job? I have tools....just don't know which one to use!
smile.gif

No, the chances of it being uneven is much greater when using a dremel. The wooden dowel with 2 sided tape for the sand paper works the best. It takes alot of elbow grease but you cant beat it unless your using a washer tool for inletting stocks.

I would stay away from the dremel ... Too easy to butcher it up. I've always used a socket with sand paper under it. Try to go the full length of the barrel channel. Dont spend too much time in one section or it will come out uneven. Also, while your at it, float the tang (it's a Savage thing). Use your dremel on this if you have a router type bit. Be careful though, take your time and do light cuts ... A little bit goes a long way here. I usually scribe around the tang and kiss the scribe mark with the bit.

I usually use long sockets with sandpaper wrapped around them, lots of sizes to utilize between standard and metric.

As others have said, 1" dowel rod and adhesive sandpaper.

If you have 'regular' sandpaper, you can duct tape some to the dowel.

Cheap/Works well/lasts long time.

Sounds like the dowel makes the most sense if I were to do it.

Dowel or socket it is. Sounds great guys. Thanks!!! Now does anyone want to coach me on how to do a bedding job??

Check out the sticky in the Gunsmithing section.