• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fix the Message

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I went to the range today and hit a bunch of news channels out and back and we are missing the mark on the messaging regarding Gun Control and Beta's remark last night.

This is a full-on coordinated assault on our rights, and they are winning the argument even when they don't agree with what was said and think it will have negative consequences. They even turned the Anti Vaping, stop Juul from selling flavored tobacco into an Anti Gun Message. It's is non-stop and being shouted on every network, (sans one) and there is no sign they will stop. This has become personal, they are looking to punish law-abiding gun owners as it is linked directly to Trump along with the NRA. Short answer, we are Trump and the NRA and WE have to be stopped.

For them, it's emotional, they have no facts, they don't know the first thing about guns, but in this case, it can work. They are coordinating these conversations and their lines of attack. Weapons of War, Assault Weapons, Military Grade, all Keywords being used to describe the rifle in a negative way. They don't even consider a Semi-Auto a Rifle, ya I know their ignorance but perception is the current reality.

Who are they going after, you're wives, daughters, and children. For an hour today, I hear 5 references to school active shooter drills. How it is affecting kids, how they are scared to go to school. They want to push every soccer Mom they can reach into banning them in order to save their children.

They have the messaging down, it's on repeat, and it is not going to stop.

We need to start getting on these shows, even the Liberals ones and put out a counter-message. We need to show Law Abiding Gun Owners in a better light. A 19-year-old who took his Dad's rifle or just bought his first rifle so he can Kook Out is not a true representation of gun owners. This messaging needs to change, we need to insert ourselves into the conversation in a bigger way.

Yes, we all knew what Beta said is what every one of them is thinking, and that cannot be overlooked. As long as they touch an emotional chord it will not change. Sure it's the same old lines, No One needs an AR to Hunt, it's a Military Weapon, etc, while we get it, these are false equivalencies, are void of facts and have been stated before, today it is resonating with a lot more people. The encroachment is real, and now it's our front door with a guy hiding in the bushes by the back, just in case.

We need to coordinate beyond the NRA, they are weakened, they are missing the mark on their messaging, and we have other groups that can help fill in the gaps, we just need to step up and support these groups.

Talk to your wives, your kids, and have them push a positive message. Keep it short, keep it clean and be straight about it. Throwing a ton of facts at them is great, but facts do not speak to the emotion of the situation. They are running on pure emotion with not much else, but it may be enough, fix the problem by reaching in pulling them out their own spiral.

Be smart, don't try to go viral with stupid stunts like walking into a Wal Mart open carrying 2 days after a shooting. Instead, engage anyone and everyone with a positive message that Gun Owners are not the problem, Guns are not the problem, think the Riddle of Steel...

Rant out

We own AR's, AK's and all other so called assault weapons, along with hunting rifles, and shotguns for the exact reason the second amendment was put into our constitution..............

To protect citizens from a tyrannical government........

I agree, taking the newbie out to shoot 22lr in pistol or rifle will go along way in convincing the uneducated we are not the evil ones in this party.

I went to the range today and hit a bunch of news channels out and back and we are missing the mark on the messaging regarding Gun Control and Beta's remark last night.

This is a full-on coordinated assault on our rights, and they are winning the argument even when they don't agree with what was said and think it will have negative consequences. They even turned the Anti Vaping, stop Juul from selling flavored tobacco into an Anti Gun Message. It's is non-stop and being shouted on every network, (sans one) and there is no sign they will stop. This has become personal, they are looking to punish law-abiding gun owners as it is linked directly to Trump along with the NRA. Short answer, we are Trump and the NRA and WE have to be stopped.

For them, it's emotional, they have no facts, they don't know the first thing about guns, but in this case, it can work. They are coordinating these conversations and their lines of attack. Weapons of War, Assault Weapons, Military Grade, all Keywords being used to describe the rifle in a negative way. They don't even consider a Semi-Auto a Rifle, ya I know their ignorance but perception is the current reality.

Who are they going after, you're wives, daughters, and children. For an hour today, I hear 5 references to school active shooter drills. How it is affecting kids, how they are scared to go to school. They want to push every soccer Mom they can reach into banning them in order to save their children.

They have the messaging down, it's on repeat, and it is not going to stop.

We need to start getting on these shows, even the Liberals ones and put out a counter-message. We need to show Law Abiding Gun Owners in a better light. A 19-year-old who took his Dad's rifle or just bought his first rifle so he can Kook Out is not a true representation of gun owners. This messaging needs to change, we need to insert ourselves into the conversation in a bigger way.

Yes, we all knew what Beta said is what every one of them is thinking, and that cannot be overlooked. As long as they touch an emotional chord it will not change. Sure it's the same old lines, No One needs an AR to Hunt, it's a Military Weapon, etc, while we get it, these are false equivalencies, are void of facts and have been stated before, today it is resonating with a lot more people. The encroachment is real, and now it's our front door with a guy hiding in the bushes by the back, just in case.

We need to coordinate beyond the NRA, they are weakened, they are missing the mark on their messaging, and we have other groups that can help fill in the gaps, we just need to step up and support these groups.

Talk to your wives, your kids, and have them push a positive message. Keep it short, keep it clean and be straight about it. Throwing a ton of facts at them is great, but facts do not speak to the emotion of the situation. They are running on pure emotion with not much else, but it may be enough, fix the problem by reaching in pulling them out their own spiral.

Be smart, don't try to go viral with stupid stunts like walking into a Wal Mart open carrying 2 days after a shooting. Instead, engage anyone and everyone with a positive message that Gun Owners are not the problem, Guns are not the problem, think the Riddle of Steel...

Rant out

I’m sensing some videos that need to come about. If you got the resources, maybe you can put some together. Like we need a scene of a common respectable fatherly figure, showing scenes of his daily like, then end it with something like Joe like to shoot, show Joe doing some training, having fun at the range, training kids etc. then end with Joe is just an average guy, a loving father, Christian teacher, mentor, law abiding citizen and so on, but he also is a responsible gun owner. You get the idea.

The NRA right now is like a derelict power plant that had been left open to the sky to rust and degrade over the past few years. We need to fix it up, fill it with a capable crew, and get it running at full capacity again.

I also find the timing of all of this debacle with the NRA interesting. It’s as if someone came up with a plan and executed it flawlessly.

Last edited:
    28% of Democratic voters think NRA should be declared a terrorist organization. We are at a very dangerous point, only the headline is being listened too, few are digging down and taking a broader view. We should not behave in same fashion. Less: let them try to take my AR and More: come shoot and discussion of the positive side of gun ownership.

28% of Democratic voters think NRA should be declared a terrorist organization. We are at a very dangerous point, only the headline is being listened too, few are digging down and taking a broader view. We should not behave in same fashion. Less: let them try to take my AR and More: come shoot and discussion of the positive side of gun ownership.

Not saying that I wouldn’t agree with you, but I think time for that has passed. They don’t care about learning, they don’t care about stats, they are out for blood more or less. You might change a few sitting on the fence but highly unlikely as both sides are deeply entrenched in their beliefs. They don’t and won’t reason. It’s like trying to do peace talks with middle eastern terrorist. Nope. You can try but time for doing the above has long passed and even if you are successful you won’t get it done fast enough to fend off the current wave. Should have been getting the message right and all 20 years ago or more. Don’t think it’s going to stop with guns either. That’s just the latest fad. They will get more and more radical.

okay, ate, took a shower, had an idear....

We need to craft, a letter to the editor we can ALL submit locally as well as nationally. Basically just flood all media with a group letter from Law Abiding Gun Owners,

We group draft a letter that will change the narrative, to any degree is better than what I heard today.

We hit the high points, appeal to their emotions with ours, we are your neighbors, friends, doctors, lawyers, airline pilots, Moms, Dads, etc.

I say we have a draft by Tuesday

We need to craft, a letter to the editor we can ALL submit locally as well as nationally. Basically just flood all media with a group letter from Law Abiding Gun Owners,

We group draft a letter that will change the narrative, to any degree is better than what I heard today.

We hit the high points, appeal to their emotions with ours, we are your neighbors, friends, doctors, lawyers, airline pilots, Moms, Dads, etc.

Fantastic. We got any eloquent writers in here? I still say add in the video I talked about above as well. People are visual these days! There is just one major problem with this plan. You are assuming any of the media will run your message or video and even if they do you are assuming they run it fairly. Only people I know that are going to run such a message are already pro gun groups and it would be an echo chamber much like it is here.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TheMammoth
    You can't use facts to combat emotions. The communist propaganda arm of the DNC/communist party will not have you on their shows. If they do it's fixed to make you look like Bill Murray in Cadyshack.
    Creepy Joe just let it known. They have "their truth" and facts don't matter.
    I am almost out of bubble gum!!!

here's my view. someone slaughters a family due to drunk or distracted driving, and there are ZERO cries & demands to ban or curtail alcohol or cell phones or even cars. any of that would be ABSURD, right? but why is that? it's because EVERYONE 'needs' a cell phone, and most like to kick back a cold one after work. if more (lots more) of our citizens were engaged in hunting and the shooting sports, they would be less likely to accept going after our guns, because, well, everyone has fun with them and they're key for home/self defense.

as noted above, take your kids shooting and make sure they bring their friends, and bring your friends, co-workers and neighbors, and again, their kids. we need more, lots more, people invested in firearms and the shooting sports.

and for heavens' sake, GET OUT AND VOTE!

right now there is no face on the other side but Trump and the NRA, it's too easy to label all of us as the problem.

When Beta said that last night, he was addressing every gun owner, we are all currently being demonized. They see no gray, that is where the strength comes from, don't create more than one label, just lump them all together.

Even in rejection and denial, we need to step forward, not back, and engage in the conversation. Being brushed aside can be considered just as powerful, if you take the first step.

You're spot on about a concerted, irrational and emotional based assault on our Rights and the fact it's now personal with them, you're right about the need for sending a message, although I'm not too sure hiding 'em is the best way to go about it.

I probably went into Walmart the day of or day after a shooting open carrying. Hell, downtown Seattle for that matter, Pike Market. I don't get propaganda anymore so local news halfway across the country that doesn't affect me --doesn't affect me. I have no duty to make the public feel comfortable either. This was what essentially came out of the Starbucks incident several years back, which happened just a few miles away in fact, and resulted in a department wide memo reminding all deputies that yes, we still have the Right to carry firearms in public.

When I open carry it's usually for one reason or another, always in a retention holster; not necessarily to send a message but it always comes with sending one and I need to be aware of that. In my case, I just wanna say "just because you don't always see a private firearm worn in public doesn't mean I don't have the Right to do so".

I also take this with great additional responsibility --while you have the same Rights as an unarmed person to do so, it's just not a good idea to be confrontational while armed in public. Non-threatening sends a better message in public and makes us all look better since one of us apparently represents all of us. Escalation is always a possibility, open or concealed, and there is a perceived difference in threat between an argumentative person openly armed (unfortunately today) vs. one who isn't, so again I find it best to be "boring" if not affable.

As such, I've yet to have a problem. Wear it like you own it and don't be a threat in public.

I'd end by saying that concealing them isn't the message we need to send anymore, we've been too private and we're still colored in with criminal mass shooters time and again. No, I'd go the other way and I'd say we need a "Million Rifle March" at this point. Because voting and letters to my representative is a message that just ain't working.

There is much wisdom in what Frank is saying.

Get your State and Federal legislators on speed dial and send e-mails. A visit to their office or the capitol is in order as well. Say what you have to say, but be professional, be courteous. Respect costs you nothing. Wear a suit.

Attend meetings and rallies. Contribute your money to the organizations who produce results.

Most papers have a 500- word restriction on letters to the editor.

Frank, I'll send you my draft this weekend.

Don't despair, only one side is telling the truth and it's us.

God bless America

When is the March? And can we wait till it’s cooler. I hate suits , but I really hate them when it’s hot.

Well said, well written. I also agree with comments from others. Take someone that has never shot and teach them the safety fundamentals and then let them have some fun, supervised of course. In the last three months, I have taken two young fresh college graduates from work shooting for their first time and they enjoyed it. One was somewhat anti-gun. The other had never shot but wanted to. He is now talking about purchasing an AR. I hope he does because he is constantly calling me on Friday's asking if we can go shooting. As much as I would like to I have honey do's to do. I am also working with another young lady at work that is very anti-gun. I think she is giving in some because the other two I took are working on her too. I believe this is how we can make a difference.

Logic and facts will not work. We have to use the same tactics that the left uses which is based on emotion. But unlike the lefts hysterics, fear and hate emotions. When we take new people shooting for the first time the emotions they have are excitement and joy and a whole new perspective.

I am also going to try to get the local gun stores more involved. ALL gun owners need to come together. I am disgusted when I hear the person that bought a handgun, that is in the night stand, that has never been fired, by a person that has no training tell me that no one needs an AR. I politely and calmly explain that it starts with one thing and then after that it will be theirs that is taken at some point. I ask them if they would like to go shoot sometime and try it. Inside I am disgusted but I am trying to bridge a gap. I think the gun stores can help educate in this area and other forums can come together and share a common message. It cannot matter whether or not you like an AR or bolt gun, a pistol or revolver or whatever. We are all in the same boat.

Sorry, got on a rant.

You're spot on about a concerted, irrational and emotional based assault on our Rights and the fact it's now personal with them, you're right about the need for sending a message, although I'm not too sure hiding 'em is the best way to go about it.

I probably went into Walmart the day of or day after a shooting open carrying. Hell, downtown Seattle for that matter, Pike Market. I don't get propaganda anymore so local news halfway across the country that doesn't affect me --doesn't affect me. I have no duty to make the public feel comfortable either. This was what essentially came out of the Starbucks incident several years back, which happened just a few miles away in fact, and resulted in a department wide memo reminding all deputies that yes, we still have the Right to carry firearms in public.

When I open carry it's usually for one reason or another, always in a retention holster; not necessarily to send a message but it always comes with sending one and I need to be aware of that. In my case, I just wanna say "just because you don't always see a private firearm worn in public doesn't mean I don't have the Right to do so".

I also take this with great additional responsibility --while you have the same Rights as an unarmed person to do so, it's just not a good idea to be confrontational while armed in public. Non-threatening sends a better message in public and makes us all look better since one of us apparently represents all of us. Escalation is always a possibility, open or concealed, and there is a perceived difference in threat between an argumentative person openly armed (unfortunately today) vs. one who isn't, so again I find it best to be "boring" if not affable.

As such, I've yet to have a problem. Wear it like you own it and don't be a threat in public.

I'd end by saying that concealing them isn't the message we need to send anymore, we've been too private and we're still colored in with criminal mass shooters time and again. No, I'd go the other way and I'd say we need a "Million Rifle March" at this point. Because voting and letters to my representative is a message that just ain't working.

We're actually having a march here in OK on 01 Nov just like you described.

In theory it sounds like a good idea. People with a lot of experience in the political and PR arena are leading ours. Done properly I think it can be a great benefit.

Anyone interested in the OK event PM me for details.

God bless America

Reactions: TACC

Army jerry is an award winning writer!

Ok, are we going to write out multiple “letters” or points and consolidate the good parts or how in your view does this happen?

#beto not man enough to come to my house and try.

yes I see a crowd designed draft

Like talking about the fact, we are the same people who show up with boats during a flood to rescue your neighbor, etc, it should be part personal story, not just a bitch, or stats we need to connect

Right now the NRA is just a villian, Russian Money laundering, Zenga wearing clowns, PS I love my Zegna suits, so we need to connect back to break the narrative, as we are all lumped together.

So let's put together a letter or several together one voice

I like your idea and agree. I am an Engineer which means I am not a good writer, my lit grades would prove that. May I suggest that we all put together some bullet points and comments, because there are a lot of good ones here from members, and submit them to a designated person that is capable of putting them all into good context? I wish I was that person that could help more.

yes I see a crowd designed draft

Like talking about the fact, we are the same people who show up with boats during a flood to rescue your neighbor, etc, it should be part personal story, not just a bitch, or stats we need to connect

Right now the NRA is just a villian, Russian Money laundering, Zenga wearing clowns, PS I love my Zegna suits, so we need to connect back to break the narrative, as we are all lumped together.

So let's put together a letter or several together one voice
    You're way ahead of me. I was typing too slow. I agree.

Teach the uneducated, teach your children, their children, their friends, and vote. But understand that they will stop at nothing to make us slaves.

Understand that the "they" in this situation isn't a majority - yet. If we employ the tactics that Lowlight is promoting, we can bring the undecided silent majority over to our side. But if we act like a bunch of belligerent assholes, and keep on pulling stunts like trying to open-carry an AR through the local Wal-Mart a few days after a mass shooting, then the undecided majority is going to pick a side, and it ain't ours.

Get people excited about firearms in a positive way, the same way that many of us here got excited - take someone shooting, have fun in a casual manner, and demonstrate that we are passionate about our hobby in a manner that doesn't come off as violent or creepy. This isn't submission; it's dealing with people in a respectful manner. It's a hell of a lot harder for Suzy Homemaker or Madden the Millenial to demonize every gunowner once they've gone to a range and witnessed first-hand the joy that is discharging a firearm in a productive and safe manner.

Or retreat back to doing whatever is easy, such as bitching about "enemies" on gun boards and waiting for whatever we think is the logical conclusion to this rhetorical head-butting. it's our call.

And for fucks sake be welcoming. Take the guy from work who’s been asking or your kids, neighbor, whoever. A positive experience can change someone’s entire view.

Which is exactly why I and a few others criticized the moron in Texas who said what he did to Beta and got accused of threatening. Its just stupid and brings more bad press. Act like a civilized intelligent thinking person and youll get a lot further.

I would suggest either a new thread only for the points we want to make or maybe send them by messaging someone and that member compiles them?
    I would volunteer to be the recipient of all messages and compile them if that helps. But someone will need to wordsmith it to make it sound good.

I liked the thoughts on “we’re your banker, preacher, financial planner or whatever and enlarging from there

I would avoid a hide sponsored letter.

We don't need leftist assholes here as there are enough rightwing ass hole like me allready
    To sqable umungst like minded folk.

Imho It should be disconnected but agree a good idea.

Edit: A trash personal account some place?

Perhaps add in some things about how historically racists in power worked to disarm minorities.

I would avoid a hide sponsored letter.

We don't need leftist assholes here as there are enough rightwing ass hole like me allready
    To sqable umungst like minded folk.

Imho It should be disconnected but agree a good idea.

Not a bad point ?

I was thinking that instead of everyone submitting points, maybe we have a questionnaire that we can answer. I jotted down a few thoughts. I think we need to make a statement about our veteran, LE type status to show we are responsible people that respect life and are committed to preserving it.
    The occupation, to lowlights point, shows us as real working normal, except in my case, people.
    The types of shooting shows we do it for fun or other.

It makes it easy on people to respond. We all don't have to start from scratch.

Are you a veteran?
    Are you or were you Law Enforcement?
    Are you or were you a First Responder?
    What is your occupation?
    Types of shooting? Sport/Target, Competition, Hunting, Other
    Why do you own guns? (not sure about this one) Defense, Sport/Target, Competition, Hunting, Other
    Comments:

Maybe this helps?