• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Fixed 10x for a Semi-308?

hawkeye_esq

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Houston, Texas
Hey guys, I'm a total newb and I would appreciate your help. I have a 20" LaRue Tactical OBR on order and I'm shopping for optics. For various reasons, I've been keen on the fixed 10x power scopes (primarily the USO ST-10 and the S&B 10x42 PMII).

I'm not really asking for a variable vs. fixed discussion, but I'm curious to know if there are any inherent disadvantages to mounting a fixed 10x on a semi-auto platform.

Re: Fixed 10x for a Semi-308?

I have a fixed 10x ST-10 on my SPR-ish build. For the most part I really don't have any issues with it. Works good at 50yds and out. I think that if it didn't have the parallax adjustment, it wouldn't be as usable. In actuality I used to have the fixed parallax and anything inside 100yds was pretty fuzzy, but I think that the original owner had it set at 300yds.

For up close stuff I bought a Burris Fastfire II and piggybacked it on the larue SPR-S mount. I've really only used the little reddot as a novelty. Still it works pretty well and I've been able to easily hit a 12" gong at a little over 100yds with it. Someday I'll try moving it to the other side, on the left side I don't really have a cheekweld.

SPR_CLE_ST10_L.jpg

Sweet setup! You also addressed the parallax issue that I've been wondering about. Primarily I will use the rifle as a paper puncher and occasionally for thinning the hog/deer herds.

I looked quite a bit at USOs (including the ST-10) and have to say I found the optics in my Leupold clearer. Many on here sing their praises like gospel, but try to get as much hands on time as possible *yourself* with different glass. A variable (up to 10x) Mark 4 might be what you end up choosing, or, by my very own logic, anything else out there. Tends to be a very subjective topic.

Fixed 10x is nice, but you will probably want the variable as you get used to shooting your rifle. If you are on the fence, then get a SuperSniper 10x--its the best value in a 10x you can get. If you absolutely want the 10x for the long term, then get a Lupy Mk4 or a S&B 10x. If you can shoot past 600Y, then I think you will feel limited by 10x.

Currently, I'm running a Premier 5-25 on my REPR because I had one unmounted (bigtime overkill for a REPR). Likely, I'm going to lower the mag to an S&B 3-12 MTC because its more suitable to the gun and round.

For your application, the NF 3-15 or 5-22 would work very well. An S&B 3-12 would also be ideal.

I've shot/owned every scope listed above--a good friend of mine loves the IOR 3-18 tactical (3rd gen) on his AR10. I have problems getting proper eye relief, but he swears by it over my other scopes except for the S&B.

Think about the new SWFA SS 3-9. I have just mounted mine on an AR and it is sweet. Glass is very clear. Price is right.

hawkeye, ive had a unertle 10x42 vulture on my .308 vs for 15 years. i have dope for every yardline from 100-1000 yards.

very accurate and holds its zero. not bad on light gathering either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a fixed 10x ST-10 on my SPR-ish build. </div></div>

Only way to fly! I love mine (actually traded in for a new build that better suits my SPR-matching reticle with boltgun and left handed windage; see below for why).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For up close stuff I bought a Burris Fastfire II and piggybacked it on the larue SPR-S mount. I've really only used the little reddot as a novelty. Still it works pretty well and I've been able to easily hit a 12" gong at a little over 100yds with it. <span style="font-weight: bold">Someday I'll try moving it to the other side, on the left side I don't really have a cheekweld.</span></div></div>

Try one of these out on your handguard on the right side (the windage knob usually doesn't block the view-its close, but works):
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-MB

A quick little CCW roll of the rifle in your shoulder and your cheekweld stays the same for close in.

How far you plan on shooting it? How close you plan on shooting it? What do you plan to shoot with it? How much are you looking to spend?

Personally, I wouldn't put a fixed 10x scope on anything anymore. No need when there are excellent, well built variables out there which make the rifle more versatile.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far.

Rob01, I'll be mostly shooting paper from 100-500+ yards. My range goes out to 1K, but I doubt I'll do much, if any, shooting that far for a while. Having MOA groups at 500 yards isn't really what I'm looking for (for now).

I've thought about the versatility, and I'm looking also at a NF 3.5-15, but currently, I'm pretty serious about the S&B 10x42 PMII or the USO ST-10 (EREK, ERGO, etc).

If you are set on a fixed 10x then the S&B would be my choice of the two mentioned.

I just went through the exact exercise your going through now. I have a RRA LAR-8 and at first I was set on getting a 4.5x40 Trijicon. But after trying one I felt that longer shots would be harder with the 4.5 magnification.

I then tried a friends 10x Super Sniper. It was definitely a good optic for the money. Overall though it didn't give me the flexibility I wanted and it made closer up shots harder as they were out of focus/fuzzy.

I really wanted a Nightforce, but the cost was a little out of my reach. I ended up getting a great deal on a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm LR/T Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle.

Overall, I'd recommend a variable magnification scope. Gives you more flexibility IMHO.

If close shots with a SS 10X were fuzzy you didn't focus it. Every SS I've had will focus crisply down to under 30ft.....

If budget is a concern, and you don't mind moa adjustments with a mildot, the Leupold MK4/VXIII PR scopes with the covered target turrets will do you well.

How often do you lower the magnification below 10x? That's one reason I'm stuck on a 10x scope. If I'm shooting targets equal to or greater than 100 yards, then I think I'd put it on 10x anyway. I guess what I'm saying is, does the lower end of the magnification spectrum really get much use?

I find myself wanting more thatn 10X more than I find myself wanting less, but I'm no operator.

The only time I want more than 10x is when I want to make really really small groups then it seems not even 17x is enough. I suppose precision could be based on finer resolution, but I have seen some pretty mean groups with no more than 10x from some really good Marksmen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a fixed 10x ST-10 on my SPR-ish build. </div></div>

Only way to fly! I love mine (actually traded in for a new build that better suits my SPR-matching reticle with boltgun and left handed windage; see below for why).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For up close stuff I bought a Burris Fastfire II and piggybacked it on the larue SPR-S mount. I've really only used the little reddot as a novelty. Still it works pretty well and I've been able to easily hit a 12" gong at a little over 100yds with it. <span style="font-weight: bold">Someday I'll try moving it to the other side, on the left side I don't really have a cheekweld.</span></div></div>

Try one of these out on your handguard on the right side (the windage knob usually doesn't block the view-its close, but works):
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-MB

A quick little CCW roll of the rifle in your shoulder and your cheekweld stays the same for close in.
</div></div>

That's pretty neato, but I can just swap the rings around on my SPR-S mount and I'll have the burris in a 2 o'clock position on the right side. Shouldn't interfere with anything. I just haven't messed with it, since I don't want to re-zero anything.

I think you will get more use out of a variable. More flexible. I have two LR308 uppers from GAP, an 18" and a 22". The 18" wears a NF 2.5-10X24 and the 22" a PR Heritage 3-15X50. On the 18" I could actually live with less magnification, but both the above work well. Nick-

It sounds like what I really NEED to do is just buy all of the above and see what suits me best... I guess that's the best answer to about every firearm related question.
grin.gif

Nick, those sound like some sweet rigs with some sweet glass.