• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FIXED! Dillon 550 priming system started puking primers!

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    I started a thread previously on getting my priming system fine tuned.

For the most part this wound up working very well. I loaded about 1k 45ACP as well as a couple hundred 223 and 6.8 with nary a hiccup after tweaking things a bit. I was loading a hundred more 223 this evening and the primer system dumped a bunch Sfo primers all over the place. I collected the spilled primers and refilled the tub, loaded some more rounds and the whole episode repeated again. This occurred 3 times. Pretty damn frustrating not to mention the waste of time and primers that were lost to the garage gremlins. Anyone experience this before and have suggestions to remedy this? Thanks

Here’s some pics

Attachments

• B3BE70DF-5248-4252-ABCB-FBB32EC33E89.jpeg
      B3BE70DF-5248-4252-ABCB-FBB32EC33E89.jpeg
      315 KB · Views: 196
    • 3A43BBD9-5E3B-4A69-80FF-99FBCFB1F9ED.jpeg
      3A43BBD9-5E3B-4A69-80FF-99FBCFB1F9ED.jpeg
      287.5 KB · Views: 169
    It is dumping live primers? How and when?

Off the top of my head, ensure you are using the small primer magazine tube and that it is correctly oriented, it will drop down into position when rotated. If those are correct examine the magazine tube tip. If you have the spare parts kit you should have a spare to compare it to or replace it with.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    Off the top of my head, ensure you are using the small primer magazine tube and that it is correctly oriented, it will drop down into position when rotated. If those are correct examine the magazine tube tip. If you have the spare parts kit you should have a spare to compare it to or replace it with.

i am using the small primer tube and it was oriented correctly. Is there a way for this to become dislodged during use? I would think it would be captured by the knurled aluminum but at the top. I’ll check the mag tube tip, you could be in yo something. Thanks for the advice.

Going to go through it in detail tonight and see if there’s anything I’ve overlooked.

My money is on primer tube tip being bent/worn. Tagging in to see resolution.

If you're having issues with the primer shuttle sliding smoothness, a little graphite (either dry neck lube, or from a pencil) has worked wonders on my 550.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    Ok so I took the priming assembly apart and thoroughly cleaned it as shown in video. No More of issue puking primers but now it seems as though my seating depth is off. The primers don’t seem to be seating deep enough. It’s inconsistent though. I am applying plenty of force. A few primers were actually about .001” proud as best as I could measure. Is there a way to adjust seating depth? I checked my primer pockets and they are relatively clean and free of debris.

I just checked Dillons website for primer depth adjustment. I’ll work on this and report back if I have any issues. I appreciate the help. Thanks

There is a small set screw that can loosen the primer cup/ram. You have to take the primer bar out to do this. You place a spent primer in the cup, then turn it upside down and press the cup against a hard surface, then adjust the screw. The spent primer acts as a feeler/stop gauge. Has been a while since I've done that one, will see if i can dig up better instructions.

Ok! I finally figured out what was going on. The cleaning andnlubricating definiyely helped but the primer dumping and primer seating depth issues were ultimately caused by a single errant small primer getting wedged into the recess of one of the Allen bolts that attaches the little loading platform (at station #1) preventing the ram from being lowered completely. I have no shortage of dumbass moments but I’m glad this was simple. Thank you everyone‘s advice. Hopefully this could help someone in the future.

Reactions: 6.5SH