• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed Power glass

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I’m still using two older 6x Leupold Mark4 M3 scopes on my rigs. Was looking at the Meopta 6x42- the Leupold 6x42 and the discontinued Nikon 6x42. What are your opinions on fixed power scopes? Maybe a 10x? What else is out there??

If your happy with 6X the SWFA SS milquad is a very nice scope.

I've been using a USO ST10 fixed 10x since 2013. It's a 37mm objective, so not the brightest. But it is super clear, and has no CA whatsoever. It's been a fantastic scope.

Used fixed powers in the past but that was when they were considered more reliable than variables. Now I see no need for a fixed power when there are so many good variable power scopes that allow more versatility and just as reliable. But comes down to your money and needs.

New here, long time shooter. I never used a fixed power scope and I wonder if there is an optical advantage to it. Do fixed power scopes appear brighter at the same magnification compared to variables?

I’m still using two older 6x Leupold Mark4 M3 scopes on my rigs. Was looking at the Meopta 6x42- the Leupold 6x42 and the discontinued Nikon 6x42. What are your opinions on fixed power scopes? Maybe a 10x? What else is out there??

I own the leupold 6x42, the Meopta 6x42, the S&B 8x56, and a few other higher power ones by various manufacturers.

The meopta is far superior to the leupold in glass quality and light gathering, but the S&B beats all.

The fact that fixed scopes have fewer internal lenses, makes for a brighter scope in low light. Otherwise, someone who is used to a variable will no doubt find a fixed power very limiting.

Reactions: stanley_white
I’ve been running my Schmidt Bender PM (not pmii) 6x42. Love it

The fact that fixed scopes have fewer internal lenses, makes for a brighter scope in low light. Otherwise, someone who is used to a variable will no doubt find a fixed power very limiting.
A fixed power scope and a variable have the same amount of lenses, the erector lenses are just fixed into place instead of able to move back and forth.

A fixed power scope and a variable have the same amount of lenses, the erector lenses are just fixed into place instead of able to move back and forth.
you are the only person in the world that I've ever heard make that claim.

here is an extremely well respected optics tester who posts here and on many other forums:

" Aside from (and in addition to) the qualities mentioned above, fixed power scopes have fewer lenses in them, so they are can theoretically provide better performance, albeit at only one magnification, due to higher light transmission. "

I repaired scopes for Burris about 10 years ago so I think I know what I'm talking about.

you did it briefly 10 years ago and no longer work there? wow. random internet guy is the ultimate expert.
Koshkin knows his stuff. and the guys at Meopta and S&B that I talked to about their fixed power stuff before I bought it.
edit: I will say though, that I've never owned a burris. so maybe that's how they fly. fewer lenses. lol.

Last edited:
Look, I don't care what you think you know, but a basic 3X9 and a fixed power scope have the same amount of lenses. There is an eyepiece lens set, 2 erector lens packs, and an objective lens set. Often times the lens sets are bonded together to become one lens assembly.

Maybe the 5x (5-25) and 6x (3-18) erector scopes have more lenses but a basic 3x or 4x scope has the same amount of lenses.

Look, I don't care what you think you know, but a basic 3X9 and a fixed power scope have the same amount of lenses. There is an eyepiece lens set, 2 erector lens packs, and an objective lens set. Often times the lens sets are bonded together to become one lens assembly.

Maybe the 5x (5-25) and 6x (3-18) erector scopes have more lenses but a basic 3x or 4x scope has the same amount of lenses.
so we went from "all" to just a basic 3-9. And "maybe" others have more.

Cool, if I ever trade in my S&B on a 10 year old burris 3-9, I will definitely keep that info in mind.

You're the one who made a blanket statement about them having the same amount of lenses. Of course there's always a caveat. But a fixed power is also "old" technology so my argument stands.