• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed power scopes

G

The con's are fairly obvious. What are the Pro's (other than cost) of fixed power scopes?

Re: Fixed power scopes

Simplicity, which leads to more time shooting and less playing with the zoom feature. This also leads to durability, as there are less things to go wrong. IMHO, the light gathering is also better, but that's my opinion that I can't back up with figures and graphs.

Scopes don't gather light, they transmit it. A fixed power scope has less internal lenses and this means to quality for quality, the fixed power scope will loose less light inside the scope. Lens coating is used to reduce the loss of light at each air to lens surface, but less lenses is the best way to reduce light loss.

Fewer lenses, fewer parts. Due to this there should in effect be better light transmition, and fewer things to go out of adjustment. I prefer the consistency of the image as opposed to the variable. There are times where a variable would be nice to have, bur for practical uses within 800-1000 I am perfectly comfortable with a fixed 10X.

I've been contemplating a fixed 10x for a while just cant pull the trigger and give up flexibility.

Hunter, you might be surprised at how little you change the mag, i.e. maybe never, on a variable after you crank it to max.
smile.gif

Sure, it depends on your shooting and the conditions, but I have a 4-16x that has been set at 16x (and stayed there) for almost ten years.

If I was me, I would choose a fixed 16x over a fixed 10x. YMMV.

A certain ex-Hide member, NOBODY, sang the praises of fixed 6x scopes.

Too many pros and cons for both, comes down to what you want. For my hunting guns I love fixed powers. Nothing to piss with, I pull up and its GTG. For my longer range guns I like the variables, the flexablility. Sure you can shoot any range with a fixed 10x, but if you dont have to why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter, you might be surprised at how little you change the mag, i.e. maybe never, on a variable after you crank it to max.
smile.gif

Sure, it depends on your shooting and the conditions, but I have a 4-16x that has been set at 16x (and stayed there) for almost ten years.

If I was me, I would choose a fixed 16x over a fixed 10x. YMMV.

A certain ex-Hide member, NOBODY, sang the praises of fixed 6x scopes. </div></div>
I hardly ever change the mag, Im just afeared to get a scope that I cant change the mag on. I have this feelin I'll have to get one(us optics) and just sell it iffn I dont like it.

Hunter, may I suggest a less expensive trial option? Get a 10x or 16x Super Sniper. You can find them gently used for about $275 or thereabouts, or new for $300 plus shipping.

Try one, see if fixed is for you. Either way, you can sell the SS for about a $25-$50 'rental' fee down the road. You won't beat that with a stick. Or, you just might find that you'll keep the SS. 100+ MOA of internal elevation, adequate optics, reliable, what's not to like?

My 308 rig has a variable FFP for comps. Finding targets under a time allotment is about the only time I dial down from 17X, and that's usually only down to about 12X.
My 22 trainer has a 16X MK4 and my SPR AR15 has a 10X.

Less to break, less to distort light, more elevation adjustment, what's not to like?

I shoot them both.

I like the simplicity of the fixed, and the fact it easily mounts a bit further forward due to no power ring. I like having the extra room when I'm holding the rifle two handed, don't have the ocular bell digging in my wrist.

A variable sure is nice though for working targets near and far. With a quality variable, I believe durability is pretty much a non-issue.

Not state of the art but I still shoot quite a bit with a 10x m3.I learned long ago to track with both eyes open so I dont have as much trouble as some with movers.

For me it boils down to what the rifle is going to be used for. I have a fixed 4X nikon on my muzzleloader because it's fine for the distances it's used for. I have a fixed 16X on my AR because I shoot strictly lond distance with it. My 30.06 hunting rifle has a 2.5 to 8 on top of it because there is no telling where I'll be hunting and what my useable FOV will be. Overall if I had to put the same scope on all of them I would go with a fixed 10X because it's a good all-around magnification.
Cheers!

Sir
depends on what kind of shooting you are planning on doing - very long rane, having variable power is handy to power down to address mirage or power up when there is no mirage.