• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed SWFA 12X for 100-600 yard local matches?

Ranger413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
SE Georgia - USA
My son (13) and I have been competing in local club matches over the past two years or so. He, at times, outshoots me which is somewhat demoralizing. But hey, I can claim he had a good teacher, right? The matches start out at 100 yards shooting 1 MOA dots, we then shoot from 200-450 yards engaging 6" steel plates, and we finish up with a silhouette at 485 (our ranges current max, soon to increase to 600).

I've grown tired of sharing my rifle with him so, at present, we're putting together a Savage .223 for him. Its a model 10FP with the factory detachable magazine set-up. As we move forward with purchasing the stock and bedding the action, I'm starting to think of which optic to top it off with. I've recently sold a SWFA 20X (mil/mil model) with the intention of replacing it with the same scope only with 12X magnification. Reason: the rifle we've been using up until now is a Savage 10FP in .308 with a Steiner 3-12X. We've both done really well in the matches with the top-end 12X (the scope's never been moved off of 12X either) so that't why I was considering going with the fixed 12X.

Honestly, funding is tight right now so I've not got much more than about $350 to spend on a scope for the rifle. I've had good luck with the fixed power SWFA scopes. I've considered varialbes in this price range but most, I feel, are not going to give me what the SWFA will.

Thought and opinions on this?

I used a 12x42mm SWFA SS with both the AO and the side focus on my M1A and that was the distance I used it at all the time. I shot to 500 meters with this scope and didn't see a need to switch to another. My friend uses a Millett TRS-1 4-16x50mm on his 7mm and he goes out to 800 with that. It's a heavy scope, but that's the only downfall of it that I have seen.

With your price bracket I think the SS in 12x is an excellent choice, probably the best I can think of. Go for it.

FYI, I previously owned the 16x SS and thought it was a bit dark and too sensitive to focus distance (even between, say, 300 and 350 yards!). I've read much more positive reviews of the 12x and below, and own a 6x I'm happy with. Just saying this because I would get the 12x you asked about, not something with higher magnification.

I run SS 12X scopes on two of my rifles ,awesome scopes for the money.
Hope to buy a couple more later on as well.

My only reservation to selecting a SWFA fixed model is if my son decides he wants to hunt with this rifle. We've got another rifle for deer hunting, so this would potentially be used for coyote, bobcat, groundhogs, etc. I guess if we go that route we could consider off-set mounted irons/red dot.

I use my 10x SWFA out to 800 easy. i would shoot further with it but that is as far as our range is right now. IMHO the SWFA line is near impossible to beat dollar for dollar. If you can shoot with both eyes open, finding targets with a fixed 10 or 12x is easy.