• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FL sizing, ring around brass

emmagator

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
I just purchased a new forster fl sizing die. I set it up per directions, turn die until touches case holder while press is at highest point, then tighten locking ring. When I size the brass it leaves a highly visible shiny ring around the base of my brass. I ran a paper clip inside the brass and feel no signs of thinning, some brass is only once fired. Is this normal or is there done adjustment I need to make? Thanks

Re: FL sizing, ring around brass

Odds are that is where the sizing die stops on the case. How high up on the case is it? Does the sized brass properly chamber in your gun? Can you feel any difference as you run a finger down the case? Is there a noticable bulge or step with the ring, that you can see or feel?

I'd start with a few once fired cases from the gun in question to get a good set up before I went on to multiple fired cases or cases from other guns.

Type of gun and caliber may help with answers alo.

You really oughtta throw the "raise the ram, then screw the die down until it touches" instructions away.

Get yourself a tool, such as the RCBS precision mic, or the hornady cartridge headspace kit. That way you can MEASURE the size of the fired brass coming out of your chamber, then MEAUSRE what your sizing dies are doing, and only size as much as is NEEDED.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really oughtta throw the "raise the ram, then screw the die down until it touches" instructions away.

Get yourself a tool, such as the RCBS precision mic, or the hornady cartridge headspace kit. That way you can MEASURE the size of the fired brass coming out of your chamber, then MEAUSRE what your sizing dies are doing, and only size as much as is NEEDED. </div></div>
Can a Wilson gauge be used or is this gauge just for case length?

The Wilson gage works as a go/no-go check, but when it comes to headspace I'm looking for precision of +/- .001". For that you can use a RCBS Precision Mic or one of the bump gage setups from Hornady or Sinclair that you use in conjunction with a caliper. This is a must-have tool in my book.

The wilson case gauge or your rifle chamber will let you know if its sized correctly. Always check length and trim as needed. The bright ring is the stopping point of your sizing die on the brass. Mske sure to check your brass for case head seperation after firing or before sizing again.