• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Flash Hider / Muzzle Brake

valentin_84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Arizona
So, I know they are for re-directing exiting gasses for recoil reduction and sometimes for barrel control on full auto. They also minimize the muzzle flash that can sometimes be seen from a long distance.

My question is, does a Flash Hider or a Muzzle Brake effect the bullet itself? Do they help or harm the actual projectile coming out of the barrel in any way?

Re: Flash Hider / Muzzle Brake

Not unless the bullet strikes the brake/flash hider on the way out
wink.gif
Some barrels will shoot better with a brake attached, others not as well, comes down to barrel harmonics. If you need to tame recoil, a brake is a good way to do it, if your "mission requirement" calls for reduced muzzle flash, a flash suppressor is the way to go. As far as accuracy, you wont find any substantial gains or detriments with or without.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some barrels will shoot better with a brake attached, others not as well</div></div>

But what is it that effects that? I mean, the bullet never touches it, and it's not long like a suppressor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some barrels will shoot better with a brake attached, others not as well</div></div>

But what is it that effects that? I mean, the bullet never touches it, and it's not long like a suppressor... </div></div>

A flash hider/muzzle brake is essentially a small weight hanging off of the end of your barrel. This small weight can change the harmonics or "barrel whip" of the rifle when fired. This may effect you POI or shot groups to a small degree.

The short of it is no, it doesn't touch the bullet or affect it. It may change harmonics, but if you have good threads, probably not going to change accuracy at all. Primary Weapons is the one to get by the way!