• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Flash hiders?

IAK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2005
California
Looking to get into AR's even with all the restrictions we have here in Cali. I just had a general question about flash hiders. I understand their function, but would like to know why almost every AR manufacturer includes these as pretty much a standard component on all their uppers/complete rifles.

I tried the search, but most of the content was about pinning/welding a flash hider onto 14.5" barrel to make it legal, or brands of flash hiders.

Not many guys seem to be running muzzle brakes on AR's. Any reason for that? I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but my searchs have just led to hours of reading that have never answered my questions.

Re: Flash hiders?

As far as flash hiders go,all I run on my Tactical builds are the Smith Vortex.Well made and do the job IMHO.

Some Muzzle brakes can also double as a QD suppressor mount instead of using a thread on can.

But do you consider a flash hider, necessary? Are they needed to reduce flash when shooting in confined areas, such as in buildings?

Let me put it this way. Why is it you see them all the time on AR's, but never on a bolt gun? What is the disadvantage of not running any barrel attachment (flash hider/brake) on an AR? Just trying to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as flash hiders go,all I run on my Tactical builds are the Smith Vortex.Well made and do the job IMHO.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span>

I think a lot of companies put them on because many of their customers buy them with defensive use as one reason for their purchase. Most AR buyers want them, so most companies offer them as a standard offering. Other companies like Remington are catering to the hunters, and don't. Still other companies are aiming for the gaming crowd, and most of their rifles have brakes.

If you'll never use a rifle for anything but the range, and will never mount a suppressor, there's no reason for a muzzle attachment. If you might sometime grab it for that bump in the night, you may as well get one with a FH. If you intend to shoot 3 gun, a brake might be a good choice.

Smith Enterprises (Vortex) has a version on their Website that they say is "California Legal" I never looked that closely at it as I'm blessed to live in AZ. SEI is a 30 min drive from me and I've met the crew there. Nice people and they do a lot to support our active duty troops by supplying their Vortex FH to deployed individuals for the asking (or at least at cost). The thin barrelled Mini 14 crowd also feels that the weight of a FH or Brake adds weight that helps to tame barrell whip for better accuracy. YMMV ! Joe

I run a Surefire brake on my AR. Its CA legal and does a pretty good job on killing the flash.

I like the Smith Vortex, but also have rifles with the old solid-bottom "birdcage".

.223/5.56 doesn't seem to have enough recoil to need a brake (IMO).

If you don't think a flash hider has a purpose, think again. My M4gery has one and in dim light, a small spark is visible. My son has a bull barrel w/o a FH, and in the same conditions with the same ammo (and same barrel length), it puts out around a 3 foot muzzle flash - impressive to watch, but annoying as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dmack916</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it puts out around a 3 foot muzzle flash - impressive to watch, but annoying as hell.</div></div>
makes it easier for the Zombies to zero in on you
grin.gif

if you never use the AR in low enough light for the flashhider to matter it still is a good protection for the barrel crown, the main prob with muzzle brakes is they are rude loud on the range and of a unnoticeable benefit for recoil/muzzle lift in .223 for Cali restrictions best thing is probably no muzzle device - unlikely you will miss it