• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flat top scope mount suggestion

BARTMAN

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
Muscle Shoals Alabama
I need to get this scope up to where it needs to be. It is to low. I have to do crazy moves to get down and look through it. Just bought it used and don't know the AR preferred setup. Show me your set up .Just don't want to break the bank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
First I look for a cantilever mount so you can position the scope so the ocular lens is somewhere close to the charging handle. Imo the scope is to far back because of the rings you are using. I prefer my mounts to have a 1.5" height above the center of the bore. Some folds like them in the 1.2"-1.3" height. Bobro, ADM and LaRue all make mounts that would suite your purpose but are close to or above the $200 range. I have all 3 but have also used the Burris PEPR on a few rifles and have served me well. I prefer the fixes PEPR over the QD version. THe PEPR will run you in the $80 area or less if you look around. The attached photo is USO ST 10 scope in a Larue cantilever mount. Because of the PRS stock it's slightly further back then I usual place a scope on a non PRS stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Burris pepr is great on a budget and ADM would be m choice for one that cost a little more

What size objective can you run on a PEPR? Im looking at a 44mm or 50mm for a dpms project.

You can use a Nikon P-SERIES mount for just about any 1" tube scope even as large as a 50mm objective lens. I have them on my AR 15 with a Bushnell AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm scope. It measures 1+3/8" from the top of the rail to the center of the scope tube which gives you a good cheek weld even though my old one with a riser is 1+1/2" and I actually like it better at the old height. The old riser cost me $12 and the low rings also cost me $12.

Dirty Dave below has it perfect.

BUSHNELL 4.5-18X40 BDC RETICLE TARGET AR-SCOPE | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

Attachments

• COLT M4 .jpg
    COLT M4 .jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • new upper .JPG
    new upper .JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 19
  • new upper 1 .JPG
    new upper 1 .JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
1.5" is the go-to height on a flat top AR. That's 1.5" from the TOP of the Rail to the Center of the Optic. (not measured from barrel centerline)
With 1.5" rings or mount you can fit an objective outside diameter of anything under 3".
Cantilever mounts are best in most situations.

If you're on a budget, find a Armalite or Model 1 sales 1 piece mount.

Another option is a Weaver 20moa rail riser.