• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flat trigger or curved?

RPRlongshot

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2017
Lets talk about your preference of either flat trigger or curved and why?

I use a straight trigger on mine. I've used both. I prefer the straight trigger. I haven't had any issues with a consistent trigger position. It's all muscle memory anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've used both in precision rifles, AR's and handguns. Reasoning is...... Purely personal preference. People win competitions with both types.

I personally like the feel of a flat shoe because I feeeel like I am getting a better idea of how much pressure I am applying to it, I don't feel any indirect pressure being applied by the curve of the trigger. It's probably all in my head though.
I also feel like it makes a trigger feel lighter than it actually is, which, mechanically speaking, is true, if you place your finger near the bottom of the flat shoe.

Both seem just as consistent to me. Muscle memory takes over quickly.

But again, that is personal preference. You may find the opposite to be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentheart
Curved, because it helps auto-locate my finger to the same spot every time.

I like curved on my precision rifles and have always used them but got a good deal on a flat Timney for my .223 so gave it a try. Have only used it a few times but it feels pretty good. Don;t think I will be changing over but if your preference is for flat then no reason not to use them. It's more a personal preference thing than one working better than the other.

I like a flat trigger. I just index my finger to the bottom of the trigger guard every time. this allows consistency of placement, travel, and perceived weight, while using the maximum amount of leverage

I just prefer a flat trigger I run them in all my pistols, ars and bolt guns.

I just prefer a flat trigger I run them in all my pistols, ars and bolt guns.

^^^^^ I got the straight Timney a year ago and I am slowly switching everything to a flat trigger... just feels right for whatever reason. With the new Timney Calvin elites you can switch from flat to curved shoes so maybe that will be interesting to play with

Curved, because it helps auto-locate my finger to the same spot every time.
I'm thinking the same thing. Moving your finger on a flat trigger, you only have one indicator of variance: 3rd knuckle rotation. With a curved trigger, you also have distance (finger elongates). 2 feedbacks better than one, especially something so minuscule.

I like a flat trigger. I just index my finger to the bottom of the trigger guard every time. this allows consistency of placement, travel, and perceived weight, while using the maximum amount of leverage
There's also this tho. Seems consistent.

curved and fat.
tried them all over the years but for a field gun that i might be wet/ cold or a fingerless glove, ive found that i can get a more consistent feeling.

I can do either. My 700 came with its curved trigger, which was fine. I replaced with a Timney 517 flat trigger, and I like it better than the curved. I'm no pro or top competitor, but the flat feels better to me.

if there is a bump on the bottom of the flat, it serves as a reference point as well

(shot but never owned a flat trigger so I don't have an opinion- I will likely be getting a flat for my next trigger based on feel alone)

This is kind of an interesting question, because I am working on testing out a theory that I have in regard to this. The theory is essentially that the answer to this question depends on the angle of the grip on the stock and the natural "lay" of your trigger finger as you extend it forward (with the rest of your fingers wrapped around the grip).

In my case, my trigger finger has a noticeable curve towards my middle finger. The curve of my trigger finger is such that if I make a single-finger pointing gesture (with my trigger/index finger fully extended and the rest of my fingers curled up like a fist), the "inside" tip of my trigger finger is essentially aligned with the center of the knuckle of my middle finger. My theory is that the more naturally I can grip the stock and extend my finger to contact the trigger, the more trigger control I'll have... so in my case, it makes sense to index my finger on the trigger as close to my middle knuckle as I can... which means that I should touch the trigger as close to the tip (of the trigger) as possible. As such, I ordered a flat-shoe trigger for my latest build... while more traditional curved triggers have always been comfortable enough for me, I'm interested to see if this will represent an improvement.

Its probably mental but i feel like i can't get consistent finger position on a flat trigger like i can on a curved. For precision where consistency counts i go curved

Reactions: trob_205
Will a flat trigger move the finger tip further forward? On an AR grip I would like to have my finger to reach forward a little more. Longer fingers I guess , my finger wants to land on first joint not on the pad of the finger. Maybe I just need to stick with my bolt gun or do more dry fire.

I have primarily used curved triggers to help with consistent placement, but going with a flat TriggerTech on my first custom build.

I have flat triggertechs on my AR platform rifles and love them. I've been bugging them for a year now to make a 2 stage 700 trigger. I'm crossing my fingers it'll get announced at shot show, if not I'll try a timney.

I have timney Calvin elites both straight and curved. I could care less which is on the rifle. They feel so similar it just doesn’t matter. I racked my brain over this as well a while back until I finally just bought some of each. It didn’t take me long to figure out that I wasted a lot of time for nothing. You will figure out yourself that many things that you think matters while sitting on the couch makes very little to no difference when actually using the rifle (bolt lift, trigger width, curved or flat, trigger weight, bolt throw, etc.)

Reactions: PBWalsh
For me, its all about grip geometry and the angle of my finger. For my MPA chassis with the EVG (vertical grip), I love my flat trigger shoe as it feels right and naturally seems to be aligned for perfect trigger-finger placement. I have a varmint rifle with a curved shoe that fits my finger better than a flat shoe (on that particular rifle) due to the more traditional stock on the gun. Long story short, go with what feels best and places your trigger finger in the most natural and ergonomically correct position. With that in mind, true vertical grips like the EVG do seem to favor flat trigger shoes.

I tend to hit the bolt with my knuckle when I use a 90 degree trigger squeeze technique on a curved trigger because it forces you to the center of the curve. With a flat trigger I can get lower and don’t run into that issue. Anything I build will have a flat shoe from here on

I always hated the flat trigger until I bought a rifle with one and got to spend some time behind it. Now that’s all I have.

The RPR comes with a fantastic curved trigger factory. Went to a gun show and felt a flat trigger. It feels better to me. Ordered a Timney and gave away my factory trigger. No ragrets....not even one letter.

No one here is concerned with flat triggers causing finger slippage?

I have never had a problem. As I mentioned in my post, I really prefer the flat triggers with true vertical grips. In those instances, your finger is naturally at the same angle as the trigger shoe, so I haven't every struggled with obtaining a consistent and stable trigger pull.

I have never had a problem. As I mentioned in my post, I really prefer the flat triggers with true vertical grips. In those instances, your finger is naturally at the same angle as the trigger shoe, so I haven't every struggled with obtaining a consistent and stable trigger pull.
It was a joke. Read the thread I linked above if you ever need a laugh.