• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flattened case mouth

Gunnysgt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2011
North Central Maine
Members: Regarding Weatherby Vanguard 2 bolt action 223 Remington
Noticed flat spot on case mouth after firing when extracting brand new brass. Covered ejection port with hand to catch ejected brass. Did not fall on ground.
Tried using an expander mandrel to round case mouth out first, but fit too loosely. I then chose to use the largest neck size bushing I had (247) in order to neck down the case mouth before reusing the expander mandrel. This did the trick BUT.....
I think this is over working the brass and will cut down the case life.
Questions:
1. What could be the cause of this problem?
2. Am I correct in thinking this will over work the brass?
3. What other methods do you suggest other than the method I just described?
THANK YOU

Last edited:
Case mouth hit'n the inside of the action after extraction from the chamber.
Not uncommon at all.
Just resize as if it isn't ding'd.
You can also use a dummy rnd with the bullet seated as a mandrel to straight'n the neck up.
LG

Nope, your doing it the only way you can. You need to find out what is causing it to flatten the case mouth however, it's probably hitting the side of the ejection port when extracting.

a lee collet die will do every thing your doing now to fix the dent in one step,
also lumpy grits is correct its a fairly common problem if it's not real excessive i wouldn't lose sleep over it.
try pulling the bolt back real slow and see if the dent is smaller then running it like you mean it.

Case mouth hit'n the inside of the action after extraction from the chamber.
Not uncommon at all.
Just resize as if it isn't ding'd.
You can also use a dummy rnd with the bullet seated as a mandrel to straight'n the neck up.
LG

Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions and remedies. I called Weatherby about the issue and the tech suggested that I try factory ammunition and see if that remedies it. He claimed that he never heard of this problem before. Sounds like Weatherby doesn't want to know that I'm using hand loaded ammo and wanted to remain out of it. What difference would factory vs hand loaded ammo make with this issue? He said that if factory ammo still had the same issue to call service dept and talk to them.

NO gunmaker wants to deal with reloads in their weapons.
To damn many stupid folk, think they know how to reload.
Can you post a picture of these 'dents' to the case mouth.
Like I said-Shoot and don't worry about it. You should see what the case mouth looks like when the case comes out of AR platform rifles. Those reload without issue.
LG

I had a fella down the line from me ask me if I was shooting a Garand one day. He kept hearing the case mouths hitting the port when I was slinging them out and thought it was the ting from a garand, ha. This was on a custom action also, it happens and is common.