• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR Breach "hot spot"

mitigate6

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2021
Texas
Anyone seen this issue in their Thermals before? When I first turn on the unit if it has been off for a while I don't see this spot. Then over a few minutes it starts to come back until it is pretty pronounced. You can still see through the spot, it shows as if that spot is hotter based on the color change depending on palette.

Sent an e-mail to FLIR CS but have not heard back yet.

IMG009.jpeg
IMG010.jpeg
IMG011.jpeg
IMG012.jpeg
IMG013.jpeg
IMG014.jpeg

It looks like you may have accidentally looked at a very hot object for awhile and it got burned into the sensor.
I unintentionally left one of my pulsar thermal monocular's on, pointed at a campfire.
Screwed it up and had to send it in for repair.
It was an semi expensive lesson to learn to always make sure the Obj cap is on and secure.

It looks like you may have accidentally looked at a very hot object for awhile and it got burned into the sensor.
I unintentionally left one of my pulsar thermal monocular's on, pointed at a campfire.
It was an semi expensive lesson to learn to always make sure the Obj cap is on and secure.
Exactly as you have stated.

However, even if a unit is turned off and you leave it in certain direct daylight situations, damage can occur to the sensor I am almost certain if memory serves me well.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Dang. How long was it pointed at the camp fire? Did it cause a similar “hot spot” ?

They were able to repair it, what was damaged?

Dang. How long was it pointed at the camp fire? Did it cause a similar “hot spot” ?

They were able to repair it, what was damaged?
It was pointed at the campfire for at least a six pack and some Jack, so awhile.
It wasn't a hot spot, 95% of the display was useless, as it was a big campfire.
Off warranty sensor replacement.
I sold it to a friend a couple of months later and it's still working.
I don't know about it damaging the sensor when it's not powered and I'm not going to test that theory either.