• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Flir scout ps24 questions

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Fellas I'm thinking about getting this for my dad. But I want to make sure it's decent before I get it for him. I've read a few reviews and I don't know what to believe so here I am.

He is a BIG time deer hunter.... I hear him say all the time that he heard a buck grunt close to him before daylight or something like that and he wishes he knew what it was. Well lets face it gen 1 and 2 night vision sucks.... The gen 2shp from TNVC is pretty good, I've spent a good bit of time behind one. But I think this is going to be more suited for him. IF! It works good. I can't really swing the price of another pvs-14 right now either lol

Has anyone here used one or maybe looked through one?

How far can it detect a deer?

Can it handle a drop every now and then? Maybe some rain too?

Thanks a lot and any help at all will be greatly appreciated!
    I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!

Jay

Re: Flir scout ps24 questions

Thermal rocks. Way easier to spot a critter with it than NV. NV is far superior for ID purposes. Far more knowledgable can give you more specifics.

PS32 info below. Never seen a 24.

With a clear line of sight 300 yards

Tuff little unit so bumps and moisture won't hurt it.

You're not going to be able to see antlers at 300 yards. 60 yards max if you want to get a good idea what the antler situation is.

Very small nice piece of equipment for what your dad is doing. If you give him one he'll be thanking you for years.

Jay,

If you are looking for an entry level handheld thermal then the L3 X50 Thermal Eye is a better option over the FLIR PS24.

First bonus is the X50 is focusable versus a fixed focus. Second, it takes AA batteries which can easily be replaced. In cold weather batteries even rechargeable systems do not last. Although the PS24 has a digital zoom when an individual digitally zooms you lose resolution. To not lose resolution (and yes more expensive) is to purchase a 3x lens. Not necessary but the better option.

Another con of the FLIR unit or for thermal in general is a frame rate below 24hz. The human eye sees at 24hz so the 9hz will create the image to look "jumpy." I know the L3 X200xp (big brother) too the L3 X50 has an advanced DSP processing center so the user sees very little difference in resolution. I need to check if the X50 has the same processing center.

In our experience we have found that the X50 works great for spotting to about 500 yards. (Dependent on conditions). Now at 500 yards you might not know what it is but you then can advance on the heat signature or try to determine based on the movement and then advance.

In case you are wondering, we sell both FLIR and L3 Thermal products. So this is not us attempting to push you towards a different product we happen to sell.

Feel free to call, email or pm us with any additional questions on thermal units.

Thank you very much for the info! Ill give you a call tomorrow sir.

Jay

Jay,

If you are looking for an entry level handheld thermal then the L3 X50 Thermal Eye is a better option over the FLIR PS24.

First bonus is the X50 is focusable versus a fixed focus. Second, it takes AA batteries which can easily be replaced. In cold weather batteries even rechargeable systems do not last. Although the PS24 has a digital zoom when an individual digitally zooms you lose resolution. To not lose resolution (and yes more expensive) is to purchase a 3x lens. Not necessary but the better option.

Another con of the FLIR unit or for thermal in general is a frame rate below 24hz. The human eye sees at 24hz so the 9hz will create the image to look "jumpy." I know the L3 X200xp (big brother) too the L3 X50 has an advanced DSP processing center so the user sees very little difference in resolution. I need to check if the X50 has the same processing center.

In our experience we have found that the X50 works great for spotting to about 500 yards. (Dependent on conditions). Now at 500 yards you might not know what it is but you then can advance on the heat signature or try to determine based on the movement and then advance.

In case you are wondering, we sell both FLIR and L3 Thermal products. So this is not us attempting to push you towards a different product we happen to sell.

Feel free to call, email or pm us with any additional questions on thermal units.

It seems that the flir has a lot better resolution than the L3... How does that figure into the comparison of these two models?

I'm in the market for a entry level thermal for predator hunting and am leaning towards the ps24 due to my limited budget. I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

Creature - yes the paper specifications do look better with the FLIR units. As mentioned above the user sees very little difference in resolution from the PS32 to the X200 due to the DSP processing center. I've made inquiries into more information on the detection / recognition range of the PS24 VS PS32.

What I feel is important to me in a thermal will differ from what you may prefer in a thermal. What is most important to you? Detection Range? Resolution? Battery life? Color pallet person? Video capabilities? Before I know this I would not be able to tell you if you would be getting the best bang for the buck. How often are you able to go predator hunting? If you are a frequent user it may make more sense to save a little bit longer and get the step above entry level. I know that is not a detail answered but its important to know you and your situation to help you decide what product meets your needs.

Creature - yes the paper specifications do look better with the FLIR units. As mentioned above the user sees very little difference in resolution from the PS32 to the X200 due to the DSP processing center. I've made inquiries into more information on the detection / recognition range of the PS24 VS PS32.

What I feel is important to me in a thermal will differ from what you may prefer in a thermal. What is most important to you? Detection Range? Resolution? Battery life? Color pallet person? Video capabilities? Before I know this I would not be able to tell you if you would be getting the best bang for the buck. How often are you able to go predator hunting? If you are a frequent user it may make more sense to save a little bit longer and get the step above entry level. I know that is not a detail answered but its important to know you and your situation to help you decide what product meets your needs.

My main concern is being able to detect animals with the thermal and shoot with the NOD. My plan is to use a handheld thermal to detect and a helmet mounted PVS-14/IR laser to take the shot. That being said I probably won't be taking shots longer than 250yds with a setup like that.

I'd like to go predator hunting multiple times a week but I'm not always able to do so.

I can detect deer out to 300 easy with the PS32. Just cant tell what it is unless it close. You konw its a deer but you wont necessarily see if its a buck, etc.

Last edited:
    My main concern is being able to detect animals with the thermal and shoot with the NOD. My plan is to use a handheld thermal to detect and a helmet mounted PVS-14/IR laser to take the shot. That being said I probably won't be taking shots longer than 250yds with a setup like that.

I'd like to go predator hunting multiple times a week but I'm not always able to do so.
    Thats the set up I have... Dbal d2 with a density filter on the IR laser pvs14 helmet and a ps32. Have easily made shots out to 250 yards. I would watch classified adds on here and other sites cause u can pick up a used ps32 for price of a new ps24.