• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

floating the bushing in Redding Type S die?

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    I'm trying to get out of the habit of not reading instructions even when it seems obvious but still haven't kicked the habit completely. Just read the instructions for the latest Type S die I ordered and it says screw the decapping rod down to touch the bushing then back it off 1/16th turn, to allow "0.003-0.004" for the "bushing to center on the neck." It then says "this last step is very important to master." Am I the only one who has not been doing this?

I'm trying to get out of the habit of not reading instructions even when it seems obvious but still haven't kicked the habit completely. Just read the instructions for the latest Type S die I ordered and it says screw the decapping rod down to touch the bushing then back it off 1/16th turn, to allow "0.003-0.004" for the "bushing to center on the neck." It then says "this last step is very important to master." Am I the only one who has not been doing this?
    I always read instructions

Reactions: marchboom
    Yes, you're the only one.

I'm running a full size S die with SAC bushings.
    Does this method apply to all bushings, or just the redding bushings?
    I noticed, even if I tighten the top all the way with the sac bushing, there is still play and the bushing rattles around, which I assumed was OK.

I'm running a full size S die with SAC bushings.
    Does this method apply to all bushings, or just the redding bushings?
    I noticed, even if I tighten the top all the way with the sac bushing, there is still play and the bushing rattles around, which I assumed was OK.
    If you remove the decapping and mandrel thingie (like I do), make sure you still put the black holder ring over the size bushing ... that's very important and could be causing your "rattle". My SAC bushing is nice and tight in all four Type-S dies I use them in.

If you remove the decapping and mandrel thingie (like I do), make sure you still put the black holder ring over the size bushing ... that's very important and could be causing your "rattle". My SAC bushing is nice and tight in all four Type-S dies I use them in.
    Yep, did that. Removed decapping rod and threaded the top part with lock ring back on. Still has rattle.
    I'll take it apart again this evening and double check everything though.

So, what did you find after double checking?
    Same thing.
    Attached a crappy pic of the parts of the die I am using.
    Still rattle when top is bottomed out.

Attachments

• 20220424_092524.jpg
      20220424_092524.jpg
      151.2 KB · Views: 80
    I just received my SAC bushing for my Redding Tyoe S die. There were no instructions nor could I find them onsite. So, are they supposed tight or snug? Not to back off 1/16th turn.

Reactions: savagemann
    I just received my SAC bushing for my Redding Tyoe S die. There were no instructions nor could I find them onsite. So, are they supposed tight or snug? Not to back off 1/16th turn.
    I sent an email to short action customs asking them about it. Once I hear from them, I will report back.

Same thing.
    Attached a crappy pic of the parts of the die I am using.
    Still rattle when top is bottomed out.
    From the looks of the picture, there is only 1 piece inside the die "the bushing". There should be another piece on top of the bushing as suggested by @rustyinbend in post #8. The bushing won't get tight without it. I use the SAC bushings and set them up the same way as Redding suggests to set theirs up. The small knurled nut is part of the original decapping rod which was removed
    SACBushing.jpg

Last edited:
    What makes the SAC bushings preferable to the Redding ones?

O/P, do you see now when you removed the decapping rod with its locking nut on the bottom, it changed the distance of how far down you can screw the top down to secure the bushing. That bottom locking nut needs to be there. I suppose you could just drop it on top of the bushing when you install the bushing.

SAC says their bushing dies will give you less runout than the other brands will. SAC bushings have a very short taper to them that allows the case neck to enter the bushing and center before sizing. You have to install the SAC bushings the correct way, there is a top and a bottom.

Reactions: secondofangle2
    From the looks of the picture, there is only 1 piece inside the die "the bushing". There should be another piece on top of the bushing as suggested by @rustyinbend in post #8. The bushing won't get tight without it. I use the SAC bushings and set them up the same way as Redding suggests to set theirs up. The small knurled nut is part of the original decapping rod which was removed
    View attachment 7856460
    Thank you. I felt like I was missing something.

Reactions: max1840
    O/P, do you see now when you removed the decapping rod with its locking nut on the bottom, it changed the distance of how far down you can screw the top down to secure the bushing. That bottom locking nut needs to be there. I suppose you could just drop it on top of the bushing when you install the bushing.

SAC says their bushing dies will give you less runout than the other brands will. SAC bushings have a very short taper to them that allows the case neck to enter the bushing and center before sizing. You have to install the SAC bushings the correct way, there is a top and a bottom.
    By OP, I presume you mean the guy with the SAC dies? My OP was even more elementary LOL.

I read that on the SAC website too, is that something real or marketing? If there were a runout issue, one would think Redding could have identified it and come up with this "advancement".

By OP, I presume you mean the guy with the SAC dies? My OP was even more elementary LOL.

I read that on the SAC website too, is that something real or marketing? If there were a runout issue, one would think Redding could have identified it and come up with this "advancement".
    Sorry for jumping in on your thread with the sac topic.
    But I think we both got our answers here.
    🤘

Reactions: secondofangle2

Sorry O/P, I got you & the thread jumper mixed up.

For the Savagemann thread jumper, in the below video @5:50, the guy from Bolt Action Reloading explains and demonstrates what he feels is a plus on the SAC bushings. Whether it is or not, I use the Redding TiN bushings and get low runout.

^^ Nice video, I just wish he had shown the runout of the Redding bushing too. Plus, I'm just not all that sure that outside case neck runout affects much of anything, but that's a debate for another day. Maybe I'm going to have to get me some of those SAC bushings, now that I already have hundreds of dollars wrapped up in Redding ones - at least I'll be able to select the right size the first time!

Here he does more comparison, and because the difference in price of these bushings is only $20 and it won't take me any more time to use them, I'm highly inclined to get them. (However, I'll be disinclined to get multiple for each cartridge, LOL.) Thanks guys for the heads up!

In case anyone was wondering, i heard back from SAC.
    The setup using their bushings is the same has any other bushings. The mistake I was making was not putting the decapping rod lock ring on top of the bushing before screwing the die back on, as noted in my earlier post.
    Btw, b
    Bolt Action Reloading youtube videos are great. I've been watching a lot of them lately.

I'm trying to get out of the habit of not reading instructions even when it seems obvious ... Am I the only one who has not been doing this?
    I saw this pattern at most at retarded people. they think that they are smart, but in reality they are stupid and retarded and don't know shit, and that's why they have always problems with things...

and in reality they dont understand instructions, because they are so stupid.

^ I can’t even understand what you’re saying dude. Maybe I’m retarded