• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Flush cup removal

bluebu70

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
Cape Girardeau,Mo.
Anyone have any tips on removing flushcup bases from a fiberglass stock? I would like to replace mine with limited rotation cups if I can get the current ones out without damage.

Stick your allen wrench into the center socket. Hold onto it with some pliers. Now heat up the allen key with a propane torch. Don't get too close to the stock. Heat will travel down, go into the insert, and break down the epoxy. If your careful the most work you'll have to do is brush out some of the cooked stuff. From here swapping is pretty straight forward.

C.

I haven't tried it yet, but will after hunting season on a Grayboe I have. One suggestion was to put a soldering iron on the cup for a bit and then break it loose like LRI says with the allen wrench.

I haven't tried it yet, but will after hunting season on a Grayboe I have. One suggestion was to put a soldering iron on the cup for a bit and then break it loose like LRI says with the allen wrench.

You can certainly do this, but you'll need a very high wattage iron to get anywhere. It'd likely take a bit of time for the heat to build. The torch trick just works faster. Just ensure you have your bases covered so you don't scorch the stock or burn the fek out of yourself. :)

"Burn the fek out of yourself"... good for almost spitting coffee on the screen.;)

A hot allen wrench worked like a charm. I didn’t have to put flame near the stock. Lock the wrench in vicegrips, heat the end of the wrench cherry red and insert it into cup with a bit of twisting force. It took about 45 seconds after inserting wrench before it started unscrewing, came out pretty clean.